| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1 in 3 S African men say they have committed rape
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
beside the initial abhorrence about this article, I wonder how much of all this contributes to the general apathy most of the "modern" world has towards the plight of Africa and whats behind that...its all so forked up

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101126/ap_ ... hhbjFpbjM-

Post subject: Re: 1 in 3 S African men say they have committed rape
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:48 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Good god. "Raping out of boredom" is possibly the most horrifying phrase I have ever read.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:27 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

amandabear wrote:
Good god. "Raping out of boredom" is possibly the most horrifying phrase I have ever read.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:06 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Jesus forking christ. Such upsetting statistics

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:05 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

so, so sad. and don't read the comments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:09 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

lutin wrote:
amandabear wrote:

Agreed.

Yeah. This.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:40 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I don't even know where you would begin to change a culture where rape has become so widely socially acceptable. That's absolutely terrifying.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:08 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Thessaly wrote:
I don't even know where you would begin to change a culture where rape has become so widely socially acceptable. That's absolutely terrifying.

I don't know either but I imagine it has to start with teaching awareness and responsibility at a very early age, people waking up and realizing that this is clearly becoming an epidemic, and instilling in young men that they can stop this because I do strongly feel that since it started with the men, it should end with the men. By that I mean, we can't keep telling women to not walk alone in the dark. We need to change the way people are thinking on this before anyone can make any real changes. It's a horrible situation, regardless and I hope that South Africa can really turn this around for everyone's sake...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:43 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Fourteen Soybeans wrote:
Thessaly wrote:

I don't know either but I imagine it has to start with teaching awareness and responsibility at a very early age, people waking up and realizing that this is clearly becoming an epidemic, and instilling in young men that they can stop this because I do strongly feel that since it started with the men, it should end with the men. By that I mean, we can't keep telling women to not walk alone in the dark. We need to change the way people are thinking on this before anyone can make any real changes. It's a horrible situation, regardless and I hope that South Africa can really turn this around for everyone's sake...

They have some ideas about how to start:
article wrote:
"We need to start interventions in childhood, focusing on building a more empowering childhood environment in South Africa, especially for boys," she said, "and we need to make it worth their while for women to report sexual violence."

But that doesn't make life better for women and girls in South Africa right now, and that's scary and sad.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

abbierae wrote:
Fourteen Soybeans wrote:
Thessaly wrote:

They have some ideas about how to start:
article wrote:
"We need to start interventions in childhood, focusing on building a more empowering childhood environment in South Africa, especially for boys," she said, "and we need to make it worth their while for women to report sexual violence."

But that doesn't make life better for women and girls in South Africa right now, and that's scary and sad.

I read Half the Sky by Nicky Kristof this summer, I'd really suggest it. Talks about women standing up and trying to change things.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:53 pm 
Semen Strong

It peas me off when they talk about doing childhood interventions as the way to change the culture. You know what would change the culture real fast? Prosecuting rape like its a serious crime.

South Africa has one of the lowest rates of prosecution for rape and gang rape, its not even treated like a big deal. The police often don't follow up with eye witnesses, evidence isn't properly preserved etc. It was only due to local outrage that the "corrective rape"/murder of Eudy Simelane was prosecuted.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
It peas me off when they talk about doing childhood interventions as the way to change the culture. You know what would change the culture real fast? Prosecuting rape like its a serious crime.

thats the point. the police clearly dont view it as a crime, let a lone a serious crime. change the culture and the police will hopefully become people that realize rape is bad.