| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1695 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2016 US Election
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:54 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Trump: "This is great. I did it. I'm President Trump. I'm going to be the greatest president ever."
Pence: "Ok, but I'll be running things behind the scenes, right? That's what we agreed upon...."
Trump: "Mike. Mikey. You can be vice president. But I'm running things. I'm the best at running things. Everyone says so."
Pence: "But...our agreement?"
Trump: "You were really terrible at the debates. People are saying you lied a lot. I don't know, that's what people are saying. You looked awful. Really fat."
Pence: "I...."
Trump: "So bad. You're lucky you're getting anything. But, I'd be willing to run with you again in four years. Give you another chance. I'm really magnanimous, very forgiving. I'm the best at being magnanimous."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

God. So plausible.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:49 pm 
Grandfathered In

Breaking news:

Donald Trump less than respectful toward women.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ge%2Fstory

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

FootFace wrote:
Breaking news:

Donald Trump less than respectful toward women.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ge%2Fstory

Revolting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:41 pm 
BAD PASS

If this were any other candidate in history, each of these issues would have been the end of his campaign. I can't believe ...we're just all done caring our possible president is a flaming dumpster fire?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

On the same day, he also declared that he thought the Central Park Five (exonerated in rape of a white female banker who was jogging in Central Park in NYC) were guilty. Another man confessed, stated he acted alone, and his DNA was found to match that taken from the victim.

Can everyone stop pretending that we are choosing from two equally bad choices? There is no comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:22 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Things I'm sick of reading today: "...but has not withdrawn his support."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:01 pm 
BAD PASS

Vantine wrote:
Can everyone stop pretending that we are choosing from two equally bad choices? There is no comparison.

Yeah, someone I don't know posted on a friend's post about this with "Both sides are pretty horrible in different ways; the difference is that one side isn't doing much to conceal it."

SERIOUSLY??? I guess that's what you have to tell yourself to make yourself feel okay about voting for this garbage dump.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:16 pm 
Semen Strong

On the Reveal podcast, someone said "we live in a post-factual era. Now narratives are more important than facts." And I wish that weren't true, but it seems like the facts really have no impact on the reality. Trump didn't pay taxes! Trump violated the law and had dealings with Cuba! Trump has said really racist things! Trump lies about everything. No matter what comes out, his supporters still seem to buy his narrative of him as this Big Alpha Male who is going to spank the country and send it to bed without supper until it stops misbehaving.

I know someone who is a conservative, and he just posted that the 800 people who died in Haiti is Clinton's fault because the Clinton Foundation stole 18 billion dollars that were donated to help Haiti. And that's absolutely not even in the same zipcode as reality. But there were a bunch of his friends weighing in to agree. Because it feeds into the narrative that she is corrupt.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:30 pm 
Grandfathered In

Maybe it was always like this, but it sure seems worse now:

If you say something enough times—or in the right way or on the right platform—it magically becomes true.

"Hillary Clinton has no stamina."

I think people believe this now, as just a fact about her. Because... she was sick that time? (Donald Trump doesn't get sick? Ever? He's never been sick?) Hillary Clinton has been living a pretty demanding lifestyle for decades now. No stamina? How do you figure? Well, because Trump keeps saying it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:41 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

We're living in an era of accelerating ideological fragmentation.

It's not great.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I now apologize to all the people to whom I said that Bernie couldn't beat Trump in the general election.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:09 pm 
Semen Strong

LFL wrote:
I now apologize to all the people to whom I said that Bernie couldn't beat Trump in the general election.

HAHAHAHA!

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:29 am 
WRETCHED

The thing I don't understand is that Trump's recent tape is the thing that will bring him down. Like, what? why?

Here is a guy who has a long history of treating women like objects, what did people expect of him? The comments he makes aren't shocking to me. It is exactly what I would've expected from someone like him.

He's made racist comments for months, he's made sexist comments for months and yet another sexist comment comes out and bam, that is the last straw? And of course if you look at Donald's time line, it isn't surprising but he would've even been married to Ivanka, Marla or dating Melania when the first part of the conversation happened.

I'm not surprised what he said, I'm surprised people view that differently than everything else he has said.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:58 am 
Discovered unobtainium

That's pretty much where I am at, Linanil. It's bad, but I'm not convinced it's the worst we've seen from Trump. A lot of the outrage strikes me as pretty disingenuous. Where was that outrage with actual assault and rape cases? Here, we have Trump talking like a jerk, not actually doing anything. Although, CNN had a report that a woman said he did the tic tac thing and kissed her in front of boardroom witnesses.

My thought is that mainstream GOP has been waiting for a moment to pull up the stakes and decamp and this might be it. Even Pence isn't campaigning for him right now.

I can also do without all of the paternalistic comments from these crassholes who don't think much of women anyway. Ryan said something about how women should be cherished not talked about like that.

I also wonder if the outrage would be as widespread if trump had not used that word kitten. That seems to really offend these people.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:46 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I think there are many reasons that this comment has been such a strike and that it has a lot to do with the increasing reports from him over the past month. As soon as one person said enough, republicans were ok to stand up and follow suit. The party really likes to pretend it cares about white women and purity and old nonsense values, so it's not surprising that using the word kitten (which many of the men decrying it have probably used) would be too much. It's ok to be racist and sexist and classist, but don't be vulgar about it for forks sake.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:54 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

This is also a nice article that shows when people started withdrawing support. It's been more than I thought before now.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/08/29/us/politics/at-least-110-republican-leaders-wont-vote-for-donald-trump-heres-when-they-reached-their-breaking-point.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:59 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lavawitch wrote:
I can also do without all of the paternalistic comments from these crassholes who don't think much of women anyway. Ryan said something about how women should be cherished not talked about like that.

Yeah, this is making me want to barf. Paul Ryan said "Women are to be championed and revered, not objectified." Even though "championing and revering" women instead of seeing them as actual people is pretty much the definition of objectification. Put women on a pedestal and worship them as long as they behave, but the second they do something you don't like, they're just sluts and you can dismiss them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks for finding the actual quote. I was too lazy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

There's a billboard on my block informing me that Hilary Clinton wants to ban the use of "Merry Christmas."

What is this election.

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:47 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I really REALLY hope the fallout from all this means the Republicans lose control of the House and Senate as well as losing the Presidency.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

And then we get some Supreme
court justices that make them curl up and cry and wish they had confirmed Obama's moderate guy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm seeing lots of memes going around saying how many women read 50 Shades of Gray, but god forbid Trump be sexist AND say kitten.

I. . . what.
Talk about false equivalence.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:09 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

You guys, that tape is way worse than anything Trump has said in the past. That's obviously why all these Republicans are abandoning him now, and not just because it was finally clear that he was going to lose.

The truest thing that has ever been said about the modern GOP: their only value is power.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:29 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm...curious about how tonight's debate will go.

I listen to a lot of politics podcasts and all of the episodes from the end of last week feel so outdated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1695 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next