| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Safe injection sites will open with or without permission
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:12 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Addiction support groups are preparing to open safe-injection sites for drug addicts in Montreal and Quebec City next June, even if the province doesn't approve them.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/S ... z16vblTPE8

Sometimes you gotta do what's right folks- if there's anything I can do to support this, I'll be in Montreal in a heartbeat.

Post subject: Re: Safe injection sites will open with or without permissio
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:40 am 
Just leaving...

Seems a good idea, assuming that the sites do offer advice on how to get help to overcome addiction of course.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:35 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Vanilla Rose wrote:
Seems a good idea, assuming that the sites do offer advice on how to get help to overcome addiction of course.

It's a good idea regardless, but it's pretty uncommon that a safe injection site would not have resources available for people who want to overcome their addiction.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:23 am 
Chard Martyr

Harm reduction is a good thing in my book. I think that sometimes until people are educated about what sites like this are for, they might assume that the community is sending out a message that it's ok for addicts to use, when that's not what it's about at all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:47 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

jordanpattern wrote:
Vanilla Rose wrote:

It's a good idea regardless, but it's pretty uncommon that a safe injection site would not have resources available for people who want to overcome their addiction.

A safe injection site doesn't need the resources for people who want to overcome their addiction.

All they need would be a table where they display some leaflets about getting help in getting of drugs if some one wants that info.

I don't know what kind of drugs we're talking here, but sometimes it just improves some ones life if they have a place where they can safely use their drugs in a kind of clean environment with clean needles and such.

Some addicts are kind of "beyond help", meaning that they are to far gone or just can't be helped into a drugs free life.
The lives of such people can improve a lot (relatively speaking) when they have a safe place to use.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:14 pm 
Semen Strong

I think safe injection sites are tremendously useful. I worked on a UN funded program evaluating needle exchange programs and the spread of HIV, and it was really instructive.

Yes, ideally drug addicts would get clean and stop using, but if we can keep them from dying from other diseases it is gives them a chance to decide to get clean (because no one can force someone to get and stay clean) and is a cost-saving measure for the public health system.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:49 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I had heard of clean needle exchanges, like the one Matty Luv (RIP) of Hickey had started in San Francisco, but not a "safe injection site." I'm not for drugs, but I'm for this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:11 am 
Not NOT A Furry

People get all up in arms about safe injection sites as if they want to see people shooting up on the street, in the cold, and in the rain using dirty needles.

I feel like those protesters should be forced outside and not be allowed to protest inside... clearly that will stop their protesting AND be an eyesore for everyone else. If only we could find a way to make it dangerous for them too.

... but what am I thinking. People don't realize that hardship for them is hardship for others.... ._.

Harm reduction is so important to me and the people in my city are completely against it in every form.

We have hard times setting up needle EXCHANGES let alone safe injection sites...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:38 am 
Just leaving...

jordanpattern wrote:
Vanilla Rose wrote:

You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I am not entirely sure if we have these sites in the UK. I know there are needle exchanges, but I am not sure that qualifies as an actual site. I may have led a bit of a sheltered life.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:12 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Vanilla Rose wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
Vanilla Rose wrote:

You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I am not entirely sure if we have these sites in the UK. I know there are needle exchanges, but I am not sure that qualifies as an actual site. I may have led a bit of a sheltered life.

We do, there are only a few at the moment & I think they were opened on a trial basis in three locations (including Brighton) a few years ago. They're a great idea & I think the Brighton one has certainly gone some way to reducing crime in the area.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:17 pm 
Just leaving...

Thank you, jojo. I love Brighton and am pleased at the thought of it having less of the crime which, as a tourist, I have been fortunate in avoiding. (Unless you count a stupid taxi driver who drove at me to teach me a lesson because I mistakenly thought he was going to remain stationary, but at least I wasn't hurt.)