| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pulse Orlando
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

How is everyone doing? I'm kind of a mess.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/13/us/or ... abc-region

Post subject: Re: Pulse Orlando
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:05 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

So sad - for so many reasons. And frustrated. I keep trying to write something else, but I really can't right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:23 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Actually, no.

I'm somewhat sheltered, because my real life and social media circles skew queer, but I'm pretty upset with what I have seen from the "we're all one human family" crowd. Among the things that break my heart are the people who refuse to explicitly acknowledge that this was an attack on queer a community (and seems to have disproportionately effected people of color). Yes, it actually is important to note that it was a gay bar, because whatever other motivations he had, the shooter was obviously trying to kill queer people. Homophobia and transphobia exist, they're toxic, dehumanizing and they lead to violence. Not always violence this dramatic, but violence.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:25 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have no words right now. This year feels hopeless.

Mat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:51 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm a mess. Don't really know what to do with myself. Can't believe we lost 50 people and so many people won't even acknowledge that it was because they were queer. Terrified of even more anti-Muslim backlash.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:35 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I read (on purpose; it was a mistake) an article with the 'worst' comments from Twitter. Drumpf's comments weren't included, it was all random transphobic, homophobic, my religion is the best at hating people bullshiitake. I am terrified of that Drumpf has essentially (and will continue to) give license to people to be self-appointed lynching idiots.

It feels like half of the world is actively struggling to increase violent acts as a mask for safety, the other half is actively trying to form community and break down ideologies, and I feel less and less safe every day. Even in my glorious Scandinavian bubble. (I grew up near San Francisco, and am pretty intersectional as far as community membership and feels go. I know a lot of people who were personally affected by this tragedy and it breaks my heart that (i) it happened and (ii) the usual non-response following domestic terrorism in the US will also happen.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:52 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It's so upsetting, so many innocent people gone. Just awful.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:54 am 
WRETCHED

I've personally not felt safe in the last year. I don't know what specific event it is but sadly, I don't think it would be unusual for myself or those I care about to die from a crazy person. It is sad that a gay club was targeted but my response is mostly 'yet another shooting'.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, I'm talking about this type of denial: http://www.unilad.co.uk/video/journalis ... -comments/

I really admire this guy for speaking up for LGBTQ community for as long and as well as he did. I would have yelled and run off pretty early on, I fear.

I was really exhausted after work (and listening to dreadful news all day yesterday) so I fell asleep before I could get to a vigil at a club that I don't go to much anymore, but which has been strangely formative for me. But I have the day off, and there is a vigil at a park tonight I plan to go to.

Virtual hugs to those who want or need them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:55 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Olives wrote:
and seems to have disproportionately effected people of color

It was Latin night at the club according to a couple of early reports I saw.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:18 am 
WRETCHED

I was just looking at the list of those who died and all but a couple had a spanish last name.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:29 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. I was offline pretty much all day yesterday so I only heard about it when a friend told me over the phone. This action and all the consequences to come from it are unimaginable. It's shattering enough to have so many people violently taken from the world simply because of who they love. That's what never fails to stun me about homophobic violence- all the victims want to do is the right to love. Who fights against love? But it's even more horrifying when you consider the age of most of the victims, the fact that they were mostly Latin@s, the fact that this was a religiously-motivated hate crime, and the unending fodder this will give anti-gay and anti-Islamic bigots, while the last thing that will get done is any form of sensible gun control because in America you have the freedom to die for being queer or a kindergartener or a holiday shopper.

fork this world, I'm heading to outer space with Professor Farnsworth.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:39 am 
Taco Scientist

Quote:
According to USA Today, the Pulse nightclub was co-founded by Barbara Poma with her friend Ron Legler in 2004. Poma's brother, John, died from AIDS in 1991. "Being raised in a strict Italian family, being gay was frowned upon. However, when John came out to his family and friends, the family dynamic transitioned from a culture of strict tradition to one of acceptance and love," the club's website says of Poma's brother. "It was important to create an atmosphere that embraced the gay lifestyle with décor that would make John proud. Most importantly, [we] coined the name Pulse for John's heartbeat—as a club that is John's inspiration, where he is kept alive in the eyes of his friends and family."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:24 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

The youngest victim was Akyra Murray, a basketball player who had just graduated high school. http://6abc.com/news/west-catholic-bask ... g/1383652/

I am very sad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pandacookie wrote:
Olives wrote:
and seems to have disproportionately effected people of color

It was Latin night at the club according to a couple of early reports I saw.

It was Latin night. There was Latin dance music in the main room which was switching to reggae as it was closer to closing time. There was hip hop/R&B in another room.

Had it been earlier in the evening, there would have been about 200+ more people in the club.

For good local coverage, try the Orlando Sentinel or Tampa Bay Times.

I live about 100 miles away from Pulse. Our mayor and council members held a service at city hall last night. We host one of the largest pride celebration in the southeast which is still going forward. Our mayor marches with city employees and as far as I know, still plans to participate.

NPR sent Ari Shapiro to Orlando. He's gay and the host of Morning Edition. He's provided some good coverage and spoke to members of Orlando's LGBT community. You can find him on Twitter or on Facebook.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:15 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thank you Vantine. I had seen one report yesterday that mentioned it was Latin night, but wasn't sure that was true until today. I hope that your city's pride celebration is beautiful.

I listened to one of Ari Shapiro's reports on All Things Considered today, and it was heartbreaking. He is doing a really good job. He sounds so sad and so human.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:36 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Anderson Cooper read the names of the victims and briefly talked about each one.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/06/14 ... mes-ac.cnn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:46 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I missed this at first as I was away with minimal internet... but it is so sad. I can't even get my head around it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

It sounds like he may have been closeted and claimed (though a contradiction) that he was supporting ISIS, Al Queda, and Hezbollah to avoid making this about his sexuality. People are saying he was a regular at that club and on gay dating apps.

More reason to stop attacking sexuality in society and religion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:04 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

How sad that someone hated himself that much. How sad that he had to turn that hatred outward towards those who could have been his brothers and sisters, and possibly helped him hate himself a little less.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:21 pm 
WRETCHED

Well I also think his company is at fault. He worked for a security company and many of his fellow employees complained about anger issues and talking about killing people. Yet somehow he was still able to own and buy guns. How do you keep someone in a job where having a gun is a requirement but yet have someone who clearly had issues. Not that the laws would've prevented him from owning a gun.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

While I know he can be problematic, Dan Savage addressed the Orlando shootings in the latest Savage Lovecast. It's the only time I can remember hearing him record a podcast while crying.

He calls out homophobia in religion in particular because it matters when you teach people that some people are an abomination.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:28 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Ariann wrote:
I'm kind of a mess.

Very much. So heartbroken and sad.

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
How sad that someone hated himself that much. How sad that he had to turn that hatred outward towards those who could have been his brothers and sisters, and possibly helped him hate himself a little less.

Yes, thinking a lot about this, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:46 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

The kind of communication that is going on in queer circles right now as a result of this feels very intense, and, for lack of a better term - magical. I don't really know how to say it in a way that sounds less woo - but it doesn't have to mean woo at all. It's just... it really feels like straight people right now are for the most part going on about life as normal - but every single queer person is experiencing a sort of joint deeper thought processing and re-envigorated pride in their community. Like, on FB - only one non-PPK straight person I know has posted anything, and they just posted a link to an article, no discussion. But almost every single queer person I know has written entire paragraphs on this. On how it's making them feel. On how it's making them reflect. Most queers have posted anywhere from 3 to like 10 times about this, a lot of times not even identifying the subject of the post - because we all just know.

It's a very interesting time right now, as sad and depressing as it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That's how it was for us at Virginia Tech, Mars. At least as far as the trauma went. I know it's not comparable in terms of one being random and the other a targeted act of terror on a specific community. But it was difficult to interface with the rest of the world when they were focused on gun issues and talking about how it could have/should have been prevented, and we weren't up for that. Even when classes were cut short, most who left BBurg came back early just to find comfort with each other.

I'm just so, so, very sorry that we at Tech couldn't hold the record in perpetuity. In this case, we can say that the shooter pledged allegiance to ISIS (no evidence that they helped him at all) and it's an act of terror, but the fact still remains that in all other ways, it's identical to other mass shootings, just proving we never learn a damn thing. In fact, I've seen many parallels between Orlando and Tech. Two angry crassholes who bought their weapons legally, were reported many times. But, I'm sorry--I have no compassion to spare for either.