| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pulse Orlando
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:36 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Vantine wrote:
While I know he can be problematic, Dan Savage addressed the Orlando shootings in the latest Savage Lovecast. It's the only time I can remember hearing him record a podcast while crying.

He calls out homophobia in religion in particular because it matters when you teach people that some people are an abomination.

I thought he made a really interesting observation about how when Stonewall happened, it was the police that brutalized and victimized the patrons of the bar, whereas with Pulse, the police came to the assistance of the bar patrons. He said a society's progress cannot be measured by the absence of hate- because you simply cannot eliminate hate. Instead it can be measured by the response to that hate. Of course this is a milemarker nobody should have to place, and I'm not trying to find a silver lining in what is a terrible, incomprehensible tragedy, because there simply is none. But I think it's important that it's national news, it's a global tragedy, that the Pulse 49 are not nameless victims quietly swept under the rug because their sexual orientation or gender identity was unpalatable to the general public. I'm glad their memories are being honored with the attention, the dignity, and the calls to action they deserved.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:04 am 
WRETCHED

I was talking to a coworker and we both felt our company had a slow response to the shooting. We have thousands of people in Orlando due to a large facility in Orlando. They were trying to find out if anyone was an employee, which seems not, which may be part of the slow response. The coworker used to live in Orlando and told me that friends of a friend of hers died. We also have an internal social media site that I follow various groups including the Pride group and people have been very supportive.

I've seen a lot of support but also it seems the haters are out in force. Comments on public pages I follow are a bit ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:35 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I was in the military and, relatedly, I have a lot of FB friends who are libertarians and a handful of hardcore republicans. I am amazed...AMAZED at how quickly and totally they made this about their right to own guns, totally disregarding others right to live. 49 deaths! 53 injured! A whole portion of society terrorized! LIFE, liberty, and happiness, anyone?! And I feel like if I engage with one person I would have to engage with all of them, and I can't emotionally handle that right now.

But the one thing I can't let go is this all lives matter bullshiitake. I swear to god if one more white cis dude talks about how this isn't about LGBTQ, but about all of us respecting everyone...

Also, I have a lot of old friends with hero complexes. They are positive they will save your life, but in reality their gun is the most danger to their own family. Jeeeeeesus.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:52 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Invictus wrote:
But the one thing I can't let go is this all lives matter bullshiitake. I swear to god if one more white cis dude talks about how this isn't about LGBTQ, but about all of us respecting everyone...

GOD, yes. I mean, I'm a white cis chick, and this peas me the hell off. This was not about everyone... this was not an attack on Americans. This was a very specific attack on a very specific group. Yes, we can all mourn together, and this breaks my heart like no other mass shooting has, but I know that it isn't about me. I know that whatever feelings I'm having related to this are nowhere near what my queer friends and family are feeling. I've seen so many heart-wrenching and thought-provoking posts on facebook by those friends, and I'm getting a glimpse at what Mars is talking about. Looking from the outside, it's spectacular. I hate so much that this happened, but I'm very interested to see the long-term affect on the queer community.

I hold zero hope that anything will change on the gun control front, but I can feel the energy underneath all of this.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:21 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

LazySmurf wrote:
Quote:
According to USA Today, the Pulse nightclub was co-founded by Barbara Poma with her friend Ron Legler in 2004. Poma's brother, John, died from AIDS in 1991. "Being raised in a strict Italian family, being gay was frowned upon. However, when John came out to his family and friends, the family dynamic transitioned from a culture of strict tradition to one of acceptance and love..."

I just wanted to single out this quote about the Poma family dynamic transitioning from strict tradition to acceptance and love by one of Pulse's co-founders. I just remember hearing that on CNN the other day shortly after the shooting and wishing so hard if only everyone could make the same transition and just offer love and acceptance. Not just a family, the world...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:54 am 
WRETCHED

SV, I read that too and cried. It definitely mimicked my Mexican Catholic family and my uncle who died of AIDS in 1993. The family dynamic changed so much due to his illness and death. My grandma still keeps in contact with his gay friends.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:57 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

This is awesome: Connecticut Senator Chris Murphy began a filibuster on gun control at around 11:20 am, which is still going at 4:20 pm.

Quote:
Murphy began speaking on the Senate floor at 11:21 a.m. during debate on a spending bill; he is yielding to New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker and fellow Connecticut Sen. Richard Blumenthal for questions and discussion but says he will not yield his overall control of the floor until he receives assurance that the Senate as a whole is prepared to act to require universal gun-purchase background checks and to prevent suspected terrorists from legally acquiring guns.

Quote:
Recent speakers (who, to reiterate, are speaking under the pretense that they are in dialogue with original filibuster-er Chris Murphy, and who end their remarks by asking him more or less rhetorical questions) include Massachusetts' Elizabeth Warren, Michigan's Gary Peters, Oregon's Jeff Merkley, Oregon's Ron Wyden, Pennsylvania's Bob Casey, and Washington's Patty Murray.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... ntrol.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:57 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Merkley and Wyden! I emailed them both yesterday! I hope my email was added as a checkmark to a long list of people wanting this kind of thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:01 pm 
WRETCHED

I saw someone on FB promoting a twitter? social media? campaign where straight guys are supposed to take pictures of themselves kissing another guy with a certain hashtag. The premise was to normalize homosexuality but the persons comments were things like 'no homo' and the hashtag made it clear that they were straight guys. I'm like what? Anyway, I criticized it for not being effective and that wasn't taken well. I'm not sure how straight guys kissing and ensuring that others know that they are in no way homosexual normalizes homosexuality.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:40 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Yikes. That sounds painfully patronizing. Whose idea was this? Let me guess- not a gay person's.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:19 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Oh man - I jusy logged onto the live feed of the filibuster - and I think it was Sen. Cory Booker (NJ) said he was vegan! (and made it relevant to the conversation)

Every time I've turned on the live feed its been super inspirational and amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:03 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I love how so many of them are working together to hold the floor, talking about their state's local experiences with guns and gun violence, then feeding Murphy rhetorical questions so he can explain what the proposed legislation is and isn't about, does and doesn't restrict.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:15 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I don't even know how to describe how I feel. There's no way you can deny this was a hate crime. It was a gay club during Pride week. How forking obvious do you need it to be? There was a shooting here in Cambridge that same night (everyone survived, thank goodness). It's not exactly hopelessness that I feel but I just can't stand this world right now. I've been crying a lot.

I read that 23 of the people killed were from Puerto Rico and they're holding vigils there as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mars wrote:
Oh man - I jusy logged onto the live feed of the filibuster - and I think it was Sen. Cory Booker (NJ) said he was vegan! (and made it relevant to the conversation)

Every time I've turned on the live feed its been super inspirational and amazing.

Yes, Cory Booker is vegan! Not to hijack this moving thread, but there was recently an article about how when he hosted the Congressional Black Caucus, he served a vegan lunch.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/05/11/cory-booker-vegan-lunch-congressional-black-caucus/84256044/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:43 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

woops

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:03 am 
WRETCHED

My cousin shared this story on FB, so heartbreaking
http://www.facebook.com/kelly.karas/posts/10208014748299487

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:40 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Mars wrote:
The kind of communication that is going on in queer circles right now as a result of this feels very intense, and, for lack of a better term - magical. I don't really know how to say it in a way that sounds less woo - but it doesn't have to mean woo at all. It's just... it really feels like straight people right now are for the most part going on about life as normal - but every single queer person is experiencing a sort of joint deeper thought processing and re-envigorated pride in their community. Like, on FB - only one non-PPK straight person I know has posted anything, and they just posted a link to an article, no discussion. But almost every single queer person I know has written entire paragraphs on this. On how it's making them feel. On how it's making them reflect. Most queers have posted anywhere from 3 to like 10 times about this, a lot of times not even identifying the subject of the post - because we all just know.

It's a very interesting time right now, as sad and depressing as it is.

I definitely agree with this. I am certainly seeing a sense of 'We're not done yet' which is interesting because last time I saw this kind of communication was when marriage was legalized and there was a very real sense of people saying 'ok, we're finished, everyone pack up'

Lots of my friends are talking about going to Pride for the first time in an age and being visible.

Mat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:55 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

In case anyone was wondering, straight people talking about how much fun it is to go to gay bars isn't an appropriate response to this tragedy. (Not directed to anyone here, just social media in general.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

linanil wrote:
My cousin shared this story on FB, so heartbreaking
http://www.facebook.com/kelly.karas/posts/10208014748299487

What a caring flight. Thank you for sharing that. I got tears reading it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:05 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

strawberryrock wrote:
In case anyone was wondering, straight people talking about how much fun it is to go to gay bars isn't an appropriate response to this tragedy. (Not directed to anyone here, just social media in general.)

Agreed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:59 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

strawberryrock wrote:

Yikes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:05 pm 
WRETCHED

Well don't you know that this tragedy has ruined their fun too? Geesh, will no one think of the straight people.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Right? And I think someone mentioned it upthread (and I do want to be inclusive) but forking hell, hen parties in gay clubs drive me crazy. We are not your accessories.

Mat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Quote:
“We firmly believe the best way to honor those who lost their lives, who were injured … is to make sure we are not afraid,” Kriseman said. “Pride was formed from violence, and I’ll be damned if we’re going to let violence stop us from going forward with this event.”

St Pete Pride met with the mayor and police chief. They are going forward with the event as planned. They briefly considered ending the night parade but decided against it.

They are expecting a bigger crowd than the 70,000 it usually draws.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

An Orthodox Jewish congregation went to a gay bar in NW Washington as an act of solidarity.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... n-orlando/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next