| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Thread About Law Enforcement
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:28 am 
BAD PASS

I'm trying to stay off twitter and facebook today to avoid the negativity and the general feeling of dread and nausea, but I also really want to know who these shooters were.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:38 am 
Taco Scientist

They just said on the radio that he wanted to kill officers and hated white people. And then they killed him with a robotic bomb when they couldn't get him to come out but they haven't released his name.

I was up all night I don't know how I'm going to make it through the work day.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:56 am 
Taco Scientist

Correction the police chief didn't say he hated white people, the chief said he was upset at white people:

Chief Brown said, “The suspect said he was upset at white people; the suspect said he wanted to kill white people.” He was especially upset at white police officers, said Chief Brown.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:30 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I don't want to be a cynical crasshole in the face of a terrible tragedy, but boy is that a simple and convenient motive coming out of the mouth of the chief of police.

It's been making the rounds on FB, so most of you have likely seen it already, but this is the best takedown of "all lives matter" that I've seen so far: http://imgur.com/a/YkDVQ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:37 am 
BAD PASS

Yeah, it's super simple. Like..."I wonder what someone who hates white people would say to create even more hate and violence...oh! This!"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:13 pm 
Grandfathered In

Maybe I'm missing something important, but do people think the sniper wasn't motivated by a desire to kill white cops?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:22 pm 
BAD PASS

Well, initially there was a lot of speculation that the shooters must have been white because the police weren't releasing any information about them, and they didn't seem to have a problem releasing the photo of the "suspect" who was black.

Made sense, but guess not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:39 am 
WRETCHED

I don't want to co-opt the message and situation but my mom had posted something about how 5 latinos were shot by police last week in California and Arizona. Two of them were holding a knife at the time (including 1 woman), so apparently shooting them was the obvious answer. One of them was called by family because of threats of suicide but the police ending up shooting him. Apparently my mom indicated that it wasn't even shown on her news station which is based in SoCal.

Of course it isn't the same as someone who was stopped for a broken taillight but overall I think police shootings where police officers lives aren't in danger should be highlighted.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:44 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

One Shooter; No Snipers—Grossly Inaccurate Police and Media Information About Dallas Killings
http://www.alternet.org/media/one-shoot ... s-killings

The man who made the video of the Alton Sterling shooting death go viral, one of two brutal videos from two states that sparked a national outrage and led to the shooting deaths of five Dallas police officers during an anti-police brutality protest Thursday – was arrested 24 hours later.

Chris LeDay believes it was an act of retaliation.

Considering police handcuffed and leg-shackled him after accusing him of assault and battery – only to jail him overnight for unpaid traffic fines – it certainly appears that way.
https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2016 ... d-charges/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:08 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I lost the link, but the Wshington Post had an interesting article on how the NRA has thus far been supremely unconcerned about Philandro Castile's right to legally carry a weapon. They should be all over his killing (I'd rather call it murder).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:23 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Tigon wrote:
One Shooter; No Snipers—Grossly Inaccurate Police and Media Information About Dallas Killings
http://www.alternet.org/media/one-shoot ... s-killings

The man who made the video of the Alton Sterling shooting death go viral, one of two brutal videos from two states that sparked a national outrage and led to the shooting deaths of five Dallas police officers during an anti-police brutality protest Thursday – was arrested 24 hours later.

Chris LeDay believes it was an act of retaliation.

Considering police handcuffed and leg-shackled him after accusing him of assault and battery – only to jail him overnight for unpaid traffic fines – it certainly appears that way.
https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2016 ... d-charges/

Funny, the exact same thing happened to the person who filmed Eric Garner's murder at the hands of officers: http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/04 ... rta-rikers

As horrific as this is, as unjust and perverse an interpretation of 'policing' this might be, I think this is the start of something. They can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, now. The nation has reached a boiling point where something has to be done to address this. Of course that's cold comfort to those who are being harassed now, who are mourning their loved ones now, who are living in jail now. But I just can't imagine nothing further coming from this and business going forward as usual.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:48 pm 
Grandfathered In

NRA: What? When did we ever say people should have the right to carry guns? No, you're thinking about someone else.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:38 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Okay, so here's a behavioral therapist trying to retrieve an autistic man and return him to his group home. The therapist is on his back with his hands in the air shouting who he is and that the man with him is autistic and they still shoot him (the therapist) in the leg.

http://wsvn.com/news/local/video-shows- ... armed-man/

Quote:
“I’m like this right here, and when he shot me, it was so surprising,” Kinsey said. “It was like a mosquito bite, and when it hit me, I’m like, ‘I still got my hands in the air, and I said, ‘No I just got shot! And I’m saying, ‘Sir, why did you shoot me?’ and his words to me, he said, ‘I don’t know.'”

"I don't know." Why on earth is this man allowed to wear a badge?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I really wish this would be the instance in which police & police organizations would actually stand up for the victim and admit there is a problem with police violence and racism. I'm just not hopeful.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:17 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yeah, now they're trying to spin it that they were intending to shoot the autistic man because they apparently thought he was going to shoot his caretaker? With a toy truck? Which the caretaker had pointed out multiple times was a toy?

Oh and apparently the media are being too sensationalistic and political in their reporting of this.

https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2016/07/21/north-miami-police-meant-kill-autistic-man-instead-injuring-caretaker/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:36 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

gunk wrote:
Yeah, now they're trying to spin it that they were intending to shoot the autistic man because they apparently thought he was going to shoot his caretaker? With a toy truck? Which the caretaker had pointed out multiple times was a toy?

Oh and apparently the media are being too sensationalistic and political in their reporting of this.

https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2016/07/21/north-miami-police-meant-kill-autistic-man-instead-injuring-caretaker/

Quote:
“Be responsible in your reporting,” Rivera said in the press conference.

Be responsible, said the man who defends the shooting, with guns, of autistic people.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:56 pm 
Grandfathered In

So they don't know what guns look like, they can't identify threatening behavior, and they can't aim.

These are professionals?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:47 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

gunk wrote:

Wow, I can't even with this. I don't know how he can say that with a straight face. Even the cop said he didn't know why he shot. People really will say anything to avoid saying "You know, there might be a problem here."

Mat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:28 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Feeling sick to my stomach about what happens here in Australia, every single day. More Black* deaths in custody, more Black children incarcerated and tortured, more genocide.

An article about some of the politics behind a recent horrific case of some young people in the Northern Territory being gassed and tortured in police custody. Be warned that there's a photo and a few details in there: https://newmatilda.com/2016/07/26/nt-juvenile-prison-abuse-the-most-shocking-part-is-that-anyone-is-actually-shocked/

I feel pretty hopeless about this country as a whole. Everything just seems to be getting worse. It's devastating.

*For people outside Australia who might not know - Black in this context means Indigenous Australian. There have been lots of conversations about how the construction of race looks a little different here to in the US, but I don't feel qualified to go into them. Suffice to say, Black, Indigenous, and Aboriginal mean the same thing here, and all three are generally acceptable terms to use.