| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brexit?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Nigel Farage? He's about 11 years old, right?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... ow-are-you?

I would watch Alyn Smith as an antidote for that (h/t to 'Bang!? for the heads up)-

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scots-mep- ... -1-4164140

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:21 am 
Impressive boner

dropscone wrote:
I'm guessing people have seen this safety pin campaign that started earlier, to show the wearer is in solidarity with immigrants/will come to their aid in a sticky situation/isn't a big old racist? Link

Might not be a clear indicator. Some punks are proper racist.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:41 am 
Saggy Butt

My partner and I are British and live in Europe. My boyfriend's school did an anonymous poll to see how many people had voted and for which side - two British people who actually earn their living in the EU voted leave! What?! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I'm still hoping that somehow it won't happen. Which is worse for Boris Johnson (or whoever): being the PM who took us out of Europe and broke up the UK, or being the PM who disregarded a 52-48 vote for something that was just too important for the public to vote on?

It's all so disheartening. My students in the Czech Republic keep asking me if it's true that all Europeans are being kicked out of the UK. They've also been saying that they think this will make the EU work a bit harder to keep its members happy, so they're seeing a silver lining for the rest of Europe at least.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:44 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

blondiefk wrote:
I was actually looking at immigrating to England in part because I could work in Europe but that's off the table. (I'm a UK citizen.)

Well, Angela Merkel has insisted that Britain will have to allow free movement if they still want access to the single market so don't give up hope just yet.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Rosie wrote:
blondiefk wrote:
I was actually looking at immigrating to England in part because I could work in Europe but that's off the table. (I'm a UK citizen.)

Well, Angela Merkel has insisted that Britain will have to allow free movement if they still want access to the single market so don't give up hope just yet.

Which is funny since most people voting Leave seem to be under the impression that they were voting to stop free movement.

Honestly this whole situation is just plain weird. How did nobody have a plan?? Polls were always putting the vote as close, it was obvious that they had a chance of winning. But instead of a plan, we just get complete turmoil.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:12 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I am watching with popcorn, and hoping for the best. (Scotland, I am doubly rooting for you!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:43 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

vixki wrote:
Rosie wrote:
blondiefk wrote:

Which is funny since most people voting Leave seem to be under the impression that they were voting to stop free movement.

This, to me, was the most egregious lie told to Leave voters. The money stuff, yeah you can make figures say anything. But everyone knew we wouldn't be able to access the single market and block freedom of movement but the Leave campaign kept saying we would. It's gross.

Mat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

blondiefk wrote:

That sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:04 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Watching the news is just astounding... it's hard to believe what is actually happening...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just keep telling myself that at least the people voting for sanity are the youth. These far right political movements are done by the generation that is losing ground to changing demographics and a more liberal generation below them. Time is not on their side.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vixki wrote:
Rosie wrote:
blondiefk wrote:

Honestly this whole situation is just plain weird. How did nobody have a plan?? Polls were always putting the vote as close, it was obvious that they had a chance of winning. But instead of a plan, we just get complete turmoil.

I'm getting my ferry in approx 2 months and 2 days time. And it is a one way ticket over.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:08 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I think there might be just enough regret that this won't happen. I don't understand all the protectionist, anti-trade views people have these days. They need to take an economics class.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:20 am 
Impressive boner

Racist incidents are still increasing it seems. Graffiti, verbal abuse, businesses petrol bombed.

Now Boris has stood aside as Gove, who said he didn't have what it takes to be PM, has put in his bid. Gove forked up the education system and is now head of justice(!). I wouldn't trust him to water my house plants never mind run a country.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

8ball wrote:
Racist incidents are still increasing it seems. Graffiti, verbal abuse, businesses petrol bombed.

Now Boris has stood aside as Gove, who said he didn't have what it takes to be PM, has put in his bid. Gove forked up the education system and is now head of justice(!). I wouldn't trust him to water my house plants never mind run a country.

That just leaves Theresa May, who, according to people on facebook, apparently is Thatcher mark 2, presumably because all women are one and the same.

One person put "We can't have Theresa May as our Prime Minister, look what happened last time we had a female PM" - uhm, because having a male PM has worked out great too? If a bad PM is cause to ban an entire sex, men should have been banned a long long time ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:34 am 
Impressive boner

Quote:
If a bad PM is cause to ban an entire sex, men should have been banned a long long time ago.

When a woman does something wrong it means her entire gender did/does the same, ie all women drivers are bad. Women in power will be reviled regardless of how good they are at their jobs.

I don't relish the idea of Theresa May as PM, nor Angela Eagle as potential Labour leader. They've both been pro-dodgy stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:33 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

8ball wrote:
Quote:

I don't relish the idea of Theresa May as PM, nor Angela Eagle as potential Labour leader. They've both been pro-dodgy stuff.

Agreed. However, I think Theresa May is a marginally better choice than Gove.

ETA: in the interests of full disclosure I should note that I am a teacher. I don't think I will ever forgive Gove.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:23 pm 

I have friends who are teachers and I will never ever want anything for Gove but eternal fiery damnation.

And whilst we are on that subject, can we talk Stephen Crabb and his heinous mid-80s Tory gay problem. What's that Stephen, you voted against every LGBT equalising measure? Please feel free to run the country I live in.

Plus you have been in the Cabinet a hot minute, gurl sit down.

Mat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:51 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Every time I check in on what's happening it just gets more and more batshit. The Johnson/Gove thing today was pure Shakespearean. And so now the Tories vying for leadership are May, who was behind the 'Immigrants GO HOME' campaign of a while back (and what was that tartan suit about this morning; does she think that'll trick us in Scotland somehow?!), Gove of the £350 million bus of lies (and, yes, his utter contempt for teachers), Crabb and his homophobia (gay conversion therapy horror an' aw, etc.), and, well, I forget who the other randos are at the moment, but WOW.

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

"Forsooth! Wanker" - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:17 pm 
Mediocre Tart

lutin wrote:
(Scotland, I am doubly rooting for you!)

<3

The Scottish Parliament went into recess today, which is just IDEAL timing, non? Though at least everyone had a massive go at the Tories on their last day...

And BBC Question Time is on tonight and they saw no need to invite any Scottish politicians on to debate what's happening, thinking it more worthwhile to get an English comedian and a Daily Mail columnist instead. The contempt, it shows.

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

"Forsooth! Wanker" - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

interrobang?! wrote:
And BBC Question Time is on tonight and they saw no need to invite any Scottish politicians on to debate what's happening, thinking it more worthwhile to get an English comedian and a Daily Mail columnist instead. The contempt, it shows.

See, this, I just don't get. Why WOULDN'T they want to have someome who actually knew what they were talking about, someone who actually was involved. on the programme? (And why would anyone ever want to give air time to a Daily Mail journalist?)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:21 am 
Ninja Master

Companies are panicking after the Brexit vote. HG is looking for work and at least 5 of the jobs he has applied for have pulled the positions. His colleague from his old job, that he was made redundant from has had this happen too - she was up to 2nd interview and then after the vote, the position was pulled.

It's pretty scary when you only have enough in the bank for a couple of months before really being in trouble. :/

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZl0Q3szfT7TXQOkVCYypA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:19 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Farage resigns.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:05 am 

I know, and I really want this to be a good thing but it just feels like all the architects of this nonsense are now running away from it.

Plus, I think he will pop up again like a whack-a-mole. You don't give up that kind of attention seeking fuckery.

mat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:19 pm 
Impressive boner

He can start a double act with Katie Hopkins.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

fezza wrote:

Do you guys think he quit because he doesn't want to be left holding the bag?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next