| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brexit?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

He quit because that's what he does - he's hoping that he will be begged to come back. Like Mat said, it's attention seeking.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:00 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

So you know when the £ hit $1.31 and everyone was freaking out because it was at an historic low? It's now at $1.29.

Also, the Tory leadership contest - this is not how I wanted a female PM. But who knows, maybe having Thatcher 2.0 will be the tipping point for Scottish independence.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:29 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I haven't posted here in forever but when I saw this thread I had to pop in. The past couple of weeks have been crazy and, honestly, I am so forking sad and angry and scared about what is going on (here and the rest of the world). I've been watching Scotland with so much envy to be honest, it's odd to see a politician really emphasise what the country wanted when here the executive have been so quiet. Well, the DUP did keep talking about respecting the democratic vote (which make me laugh juice out of my nose) and how they "won" and "took back control" but have just avoided talking about the fact that this wee country voted remain. And that we just might be forked.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Is there no chance of Northern Ireland getting a referendum like Scotland got?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:09 am 
Impressive boner

Here we have Prime Minister Theresa May. Give her a fitting welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:20 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

8ball wrote:
Here we have Prime Minister Theresa May. Give her a fitting welcome.

Every time I think we've hit peak ridiculousness, something new seems to happen. I find it both astonishing and infuriating that none of the people who led the campaign to 'take back control' seems interested in playing a leading role in leaving the European Union.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:29 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Imogen wrote:
Every time I think we've hit peak ridiculousness, something new seems to happen. I find it both astonishing and infuriating that none of the people who led the campaign to 'take back control' seems interested in playing a leading role in leaving the European Union.

Yes. Exactly this. It just won't stop, will it? URGH.

Hi Sarah-Jane! <3 <3 Please come and move in with me.

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

"Forsooth! Wanker" - Desdemona

Last edited by interrobang?! on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, for f*ck's sake.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:42 pm 
Mediocre Tart

And Labour still continue to eat themselves throughout this all, I see. Some people are calling for a snap-election, but looking at the polls (for all the forking use they've been over the past while), it seems that that could only make things worse. If it's possible to make things worse at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:48 pm 
Mediocre Tart

LFL wrote:

I think the only referendum that there could be for N.I. would be for possible reunification with Ireland but I don't know that there is that much appetite for that for numerous reasons. Fork, I hope they don't end up with border guards again.

Thank you to our N.I. pals for weighing in on this btw, it's not a voice that I see getting much representation in the media (which is appalling, especially given the very different kinds of consequences).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:22 pm 

LFL wrote:

Interrobang answered it pretty well. I think most people are happy being Northern Irish these days and although sinn fein are saying there should be a border poll (do we really want to open that can of worms?) it's still a contentious issue and I really worry about what could happen with regards to this border control business. Although it's really funny now that everyone is rushing to get their irish passports, I kept hearing people on the radio who "went to bed staunch unionists and woke up nationalists". It's kind of bizarre.

Honestly, I think the reason you aren't hearing much from here is because there has been relatively little said. My guess is that Arlene Foster and the rest of the DUP are now feeling vindicated by their "win" and are holed up somewhere, plotting how else they can drag us into the past, possibly working to ensure gay marriage never happens and how they can stop gay cakes being made. Who knows with that lot.

P.S. On my way to Scotland now. Make tea and prepare my living quarters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:24 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm currently really concerned about the implications of losing my EU citizenship for my freelance work. So far I've not been able to find any way of getting another citizenship/passport without having to move abroad for 5 years.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:52 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Imogen wrote:
I'm currently really concerned about the implications of losing my EU citizenship for my freelance work. So far I've not been able to find any way of getting another citizenship/passport without having to move abroad for 5 years.

Don't know if this helps, but I read about an e-residency programme in Estonia that apparently enables you to set up a business without living in the country (which is by extension an EU business so you can trade) http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/how-to-keep-your-eu-citizenship-after-brexit-a7081186.html. If it's for travel, though, I guess we'll just have to hope we get a good deal that preserves freedom of movement. :( I'm in a similar situation.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:53 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

purslane wrote:
Imogen wrote:

Don't know if this helps, but I read about an e-residency programme in Estonia that apparently enables you to set up a business without living in the country (which is by extension an EU business so you can trade) http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/how-to-keep-your-eu-citizenship-after-brexit-a7081186.html. If it's for travel, though, I guess we'll just have to hope we get a good deal that preserves freedom of movement. :( I'm in a similar situation.

Thanks for that link - I'm hoping my trade union will give some advice soon about dealing with this. Yeah it's travel and travel for working abroad specifically, especially touring productions. Such a nightmare.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:00 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Wait, is May actually the one who suggested that the UK *leave* the European Human Rights Council a few months back..?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:02 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, and she was behind the illegal immigrant 'Go home' billboards.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:23 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

So nice to see that the UK is catching up to Australia in terms of refugee rights abuses. I mean, what we're doing (indefinite "offshore processing/detention", targeted advertising telling refugees not to come here cos they're not welcome, a multitude of revolting abuses of people) is illegal under international human rights law but apparently we're above all that (Australia recently got told that we can't continue detaining people in Nauru, but we've basically ignored that).

More relatedly, I've been hearing lots about Brexit and I'm really feeling for everyone in the UK right now. With all the forkery in politics right now, it really feels like 2016 is a new low.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:00 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

And now Boris Johnson is Foreign Secretary. Words fail me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:15 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Imogen wrote:

WHIT?!?
Can this pantomime get more ludicrous? That's... I don't even know what to say now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:53 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I know, I just came here to post this. What the actual fuckety fork!?

Mat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:28 pm 

Imogen wrote:

Yup. I have decided that I am either somehow in an episode of The Thick of It or on the receiving end of the most elaborate prank ever.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:43 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

At least the sub-human scum that is George Osborne was sacked. I swear that shape-shifting lizard man has no soul.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:27 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

But Jeremy Hunt wasn't.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I was sure Hunt would go. Glad to see Gove sacked. And we now have yet another Education Secretary; I don't know anything about Justine Greening but a very perfunctory Google search in the staff room at lunchtime suggested that possibly she may not be a total disaster.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Justine Greening is also minister for women and equalities. I'm happy that someone in a same-sex relationship got this role.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next