| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brexit?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:46 am 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:
I was in a FB group and someone commented about having a place to escape after the vote. Then someone commented that the vote was good for the UK, it'd actually allow more foreigners in from all over the world... I don't understand the logic.

I read something on the BBC recently about some places having trouble finding workers because of EU immigration restrictions or quotas. I think the example was curry restaurants that can't find qualified chefs and also can't bring people over.

I'm sure there are plenty of good things about the exit if you examine all aspects without looking at any sort of larger picture and ignore all the negatives.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was looking at one article saying that eu immigrants won't be prevented from working in the uk. However...... EU will restrictions will apply to uk people wanting to work in EU. But if a cutting your nose off to spite your face if that will happen.

I'm nervous about the potential crash of the sterling as it will effect the disposable income I will have when I move there as I'll still be paying an Irish mortgage and some Irish house related bills. A potential positive is international industries are more likely to move from uk to here so they can trade more effectively within the EU therefore there will be a demand for property, house prices will rise and I will be able to sell my house. But that is only a possibility.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:36 pm 
WRETCHED

And Scotland, if you need help in a revolution, let us know, we got your back.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Apparently some voters who voted "Leave" now regret their choice.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/i-really-regret-my-vote-now-the-brexit-voters-who-wish-theyd-voted-to-remain-a3280361.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:44 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Voting for something you don't want to happen is...not? smart?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:38 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Google reported that there was a big surge in UK residents searching "what is the EU?" and "what will happen if we leave the EU?" *after* the polls had already closed.

Umm...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think it is a night for staying and watching Braveheart.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Disappearing Ink wrote:
Google reported that there was a big surge in UK residents searching "what is the EU?" and "what will happen if we leave the EU?" *after* the polls had already closed.

Umm...

Article in the WaPo about that. Our planet is doomed. I know my students have never heard of the EU and can't find the western hemisphere or the north pole on a globe*, but I had hopes it wasn't all that bad.

*this is based on 6 years of analyzing the most commonly missed questions on my mapping unit assessments. Worse, these assessments were given at the end of the unit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:08 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Yeah, the people who didn't realise it would actually happen, what can you do?

There are also calls for a do-over, mostly because Farage previously said if it was close then they would push for a second referendum. I think it will just peas people off and actually we need to accept that forked up as the result is to some of us, we need to start dealing with it and planning. Rather than wishing it was different.

Mat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

What planning, though? How to get out of this country before being trapped forever with a bunch of xenophobes?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:48 am 
Impressive boner

There's a petition crashing the government website at the moment, through the sheer amount of people signing it, calling for a second referendum.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think, given the amount of leave voters who were misled by Farage's made-up statistics, and the fact that it was just so close, there should be a second referendum.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:46 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Planning - I think we should be looking at how we find science R and D, what we do about deprived areas that got EU funding, what the implication is for Scotland leaving and what happens with Ireland.

I also think we really need to work out how we bring the 2 sides together again.

Whilst I am annoyed (but not surprised) by the hellish amount of lies told on this campaign, I suspect a second referendum would backfire as the disenfranchised would feel even more that they were not being listened to.

Also, I think about how I would feel if Remain had won and people started trying to call for another vote.

Mat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:55 pm 
Mediocre Tart

linanil wrote:
I was in a FB group and someone commented about having a place to escape after the vote. Then someone commented that the vote was good for the UK, it'd actually allow more foreigners in from all over the world... I don't understand the logic.

Ok, so, one of the (very many) bammy things in this was they guys (the Leave politicians) saying that the amount of European 'free' immigration was necessitating the prevention of letting people in from the rest of the world (i mean, total bullshiitake, of course). There's a family in the Highlands of Scotland just now, who moved here from Australia (due to a Government initiative!) and whos wee child speaks Gaelic as his first language. They've been told they're going to be deported (by the Westminster government; obviously the Scottish Gov want them to stay but has no power over that. LOL, amiright?). One of the 'justifications' for this was that the UK gets all these immigrants from the EU and there's just too many and due to that it's not possible to have people from elsewhere move here but more of them could if the UK were out the EU and burnt to a cinder. Or something. That's kinda possibly were that person's 'logic' is coming from.

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

"Forsooth! Wanker" - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:17 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I've spent the majority of my spluttering incoherent rage on FB, but I'll probably be back to explode against what England (and self-immolating Wales) have done to us. fork everything.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Interesting piece by author Philip Pullman in The Guardian on the causes of Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/jun/25/philip-pullman-on-the-1000-causes-of-brexit

interrobang?! wrote:
I've spent the majority of my spluttering incoherent rage on FB, but I'll probably be back to explode against what England (and self-immolating Wales) have done to us. fork everything.

Can you say where you are located, Interrobang?!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:10 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

interrobang?! wrote:

Make Sputtering Incoherent Rage Great Again

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:43 pm 
Impressive boner

Now Hilary Benn is blaming Jeremy Corbyn for the result and is phoning all his mates asking them to resign from the shadow cabinet if Jeremy doesn't step down when Hilary asks him to.

This is such an almighty shitstom that it's starting to feel like satire.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:41 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

As someone who knows painfully little about world politics, I'm glad for the insight that our non-US PPKers provide. It's one thing to read articles - another entirely to hear from the people who live there and will be affected by this. Yet another bit of awesomeness that this community provides.

Also, I've learned a lovely array of new swears because of Trump's inane comments about Brexit. Definitely the best thing to come from his campaign.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:53 pm 
Mediocre Tart

8ball wrote:
Now Hilary Benn is blaming Jeremy Corbyn for the result and is phoning all his mates asking them to resign from the shadow cabinet if Jeremy doesn't step down when Hilary asks him to.

Seen Benn got sacked in the middle of the night. Because OF COURSE Labour are forking eating themselves instead of stepping the fork up in this shitmageddon caramel cluster of bawheided bullshiitake. Of course they are.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:54 pm 
Mediocre Tart

8ball wrote:

Seen Benn got sacked in the middle of the night. Because OF COURSE Labour are forking eating themselves instead of stepping the fork up in this shitmageddon cunterfuck of bawheided bullshiitake. Of course they are.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:35 am 
Impressive boner

Labour appears to be collapsing as I type.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:00 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Scotland's only Labour MP has resigned as shadow Scottish secretary. I also read that IDS won't stand again so silver lining I guess.

Also https://xkcd.com/1521/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:43 am 
Mediocre Tart

Nicola the only person showing any leadership in any of this. Tories have disappeared, Labour are running around setting themselves on fire. Sake.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:14 am 
Flounceiad 2011

interrobang?! wrote:
Nicola the only person showing any leadership in any of this. Tories have disappeared, Labour are running around setting themselves on fire. Sake.
"shitmageddon cunterfuck of bawheided bullshiitake" is the most cogent, apt description I've yet seen for what's going on. Christ, what a disaster.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next