| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brexit?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think the great needs to be taken out of Great Britain given the level of racist abuse and attacks in the past 48+ hours.

While I'm now reassured that it shouldn't effect my move to the UK, I'm now worried about what it will mean to start a family and raise them in the UK especially if it is with my current OH as they will be biracial and very obviously biracial given where we are from (ghostly white and black as night).

While my longterm plan was to move from my first destination to somewhere with cheaper rental opportunities I think we will just stomach the high prices for better safety given that the city voted 71% remain. The rest of the county voted leave and police are investigating multiple incidents of racial abuse as it is.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Desdemona wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
Nicola the only person showing any leadership in any of this. Tories have disappeared, Labour are running around setting themselves on fire. Sake.
"shitmageddon cunterfuck of bawheided bullshiitake" is the most cogent, apt description I've yet seen for what's going on. Christ, what a disaster.

The 'Bang is a poet, yes?

Does anyone know if the Westminster government has responded to the European calls for a quick divorce or is the government still in chaos?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:10 am 
Impressive boner

Nope, no action.

Nobody has a plan. Nobody thought this would happen. Everything is forked.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:37 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Yep, that's about right. And while all this was going on, what was Boris Johnson doing? Writing his forking newspaper column.

Mat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:04 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

The pound continues to drop. It's down to $1.32. I already spend half of my paycheck on my US student loans; now it'll be even more because of this foolishness. Looks like I'll be making minimum payments for the foreseeable future.

Also, last count was 16 shadow cabinet members and 2 private secretaries resigned. Someone may have resigned since I typed that.

But hey, George Osborne has come out of hiding, for all the good it'll do.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:53 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Did anyone else have the pleasure of attending a family get-together with pro-Brexit folk over the weekend? Some highlights included:

We've got our country back
I'm not racist, I just can't stand the Turks
All the Europeans are jealous of us

Plus plenty of non-ironic references to our Independence Day.

W*nkers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

JimXVX wrote:
Did anyone else have the pleasure of attending a family get-together with pro-Brexit folk over the weekend? Some highlights included:

We've got our country back
I'm not racist, I just can't stand the Turks
All the Europeans are jealous of us

Plus plenty of non-ironic references to our Independence Day.

W*nkers

My in laws were pro-Brexit but were extremely quiet about it this weekend.

Honestly the few people I know who voted out have either said they aren't sure anymore, or they are just completely quiet. It seems like nobody really thought that they would win, or if they did, they didn't think what would happen if they did win, just "less immigrants" - and that's not looking likely anyway.

I am not sure anyone is happy with the outcome anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:59 am 

Agreed. Lee hasn't dare ask his mother what she voted as he is afraid he will lose it with her.

There is a lot of buyer's remorse here.

I think 23 have gone from the shadow cabinet now.

Mat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:59 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Polls repeatedly said it was close. Why would anyone not think they would win? And moreover, why would you vote for something you don't want?

Is there something I'm missing or is the Remain camp projecting the idea that people didn't mean to vote the way they did? Seems to me the racists got what they wanted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:53 am 

No, there are quite a few stories (with video evidence) of people saying that they didn't think it would happen and their vote was a protest vote and now they are a bit shocked that it's happening. Which makes me wonder how many people actually voted one way or the other and are now panicked. Even journalists in The Sun are saying "Hmmm, not sure if I meant that really"

I think this is in part because lots of things that were in the Leave campaign are already being dropped so people feel that they voted under a false premise.

Also, and this is my own opinion, Boris and Gove were using it hoping it be close to force Cameron to resign but by the look of them the other day when it actually happened, they weren't expecting it to pass.

And you have pretty deprived areas like Cornwall (who receive £60 million in EU funding a year) who voted out and then said "But we'll still get the same amount of funding right?" I think that represents a failure of the campaign on both sides. Everyone got so caught up on the immigration side that everything else went out the window.

It's a bit of a mess right now and no one seems to know what to do next.

The UK is saying 'We're are going to take our time and negotiate', Europe is saying "Nope, GTFO now".

I don't know what the answer is. It seems like madness to go forward if even some of the people who voted out have now decided they don't want it but by the same token, if we did back away from it how do you square that with the people who really do want out?

And none of the things that people voted for will actually happen.

Mat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:46 am 
Impressive boner

The abundance of George Cross flags everywhere feels threatening, more so than ever before.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:48 pm 

Agreed. And what happens next when migration doesn't change and people are worse off because EU funding has dried up?

Mat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

8ball wrote:
The abundance of George Cross flags everywhere feels threatening, more so than ever before.

The question is, will they be put away after we get kicked out of the football or will they stay?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:34 pm 
Impressive boner

In some areas of Notts they can stay up year round.

Labour has almost completely turned on Corbyn. Given his leadership mandate I really don't think they understand how this could affect them, especially seeing as Cameron is now open to an early general election.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Someone at work is pro brexit! In shock! She was very smug about there "being a plan." I don't know how she knows this since uk political leaders don't know that there is a plan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

This was quite interesting, talking about the fact that leaving the EU will require a bill to be passed by Parliament:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 05181.html

Geoffrey Robertson QC wrote:
It's the right of MPs alone to make or break laws, and the peers to block them. So there's no force whatsoever in the referendum result. It's entirely for MPs to decide. Democracy in Britain doesn't mean majority rule. It's not the tyranny of the majority or the tyranny of the mob ... it's the representatives of the people, not the people themselves, who vote for them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The leave vote didn't shock me as much as the total lack of a plan for "now what." Aside from the racists who seem to think that their xenophobic wet dream would become real the day after, no one seems to know what happens now. Boris has that look on his face that people get when they yell "So leave, then!" at their partner and are shocked when they slam the door behind them.

Will Parliament go ahead with leaving the EU or will that be the place it dies? I'm not certain how much freedom they would feel they have to go against the (admittedly insane) popular vote.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:02 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Vantine wrote:
The leave vote didn't shock me as much as the total lack of a plan for "now what." Aside from the racists who seem to think that their xenophobic wet dream would become real the day after, no one seems to know what happens now. Boris has that look on his face that people get when they yell "So leave, then!" at their partner and are shocked when they slam the door behind them.

Will Parliament go ahead with leaving the EU or will that be the place it dies? I'm not certain how much freedom they would feel they have to go against the (admittedly insane) popular vote.

Between those who thought their vote wouldn't count and the leave campaingers not having a plan, the whole thing is moronic and an embarrassment to the UK. We're going to end up paying heavily for idiocy.

Hopefully parliament refuses the vote and we can work on putting things back together. Northern Ireland will suffer greatly from being pulled out of the EU, it threatens our economy and could even threaten the peace here, if Sinn Fein keep pushing for an all Ireland vote.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:27 am 

Vantine wrote:

Honestly, they could ignore it. It isn't legally binding so Parliament could vote to ignore it. However, no one is going to do that because it would make them unelectable (and politicians are always concerned about electability first and foremost). So it's going to rumble forward with no one (but the people who really can't stand immigrants and won't get their wish anyway) actually wanting to do it because no one has the guts to say "We're not doing it, it's stupid"

I have also just seen a 16 year old who was born in Poland but his parents moved here early on and he was saying "I would probably vote out, it might be better."

When you have people voting to close the door behind them, what can you do?

Mat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:38 am 
Impressive boner

So, anyone considering emigrating?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

8ball wrote:

There's always Canada.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:36 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

LFL wrote:
8ball wrote:

There's always Canada.

I've got a spare room!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

8ball wrote:

My plans for heading to uk are still in full flight! Staying in Ireland just isn't an option. So I'm going to be a dirty immigrant!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was actually looking at immigrating to England in part because I could work in Europe but that's off the table. (I'm a UK citizen.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm guessing people have seen this safety pin campaign that started earlier, to show the wearer is in solidarity with immigrants/will come to their aid in a sticky situation/isn't a big old racist? Link

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next