| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Study that linked autism to vaccines was fraudulent
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:09 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/05/au ... 1&iref=BN1

This makes me so angry and sad for all the people whose deaths could have been prevented by vaccinations.

Post subject: Re: Study that linked autism to vaccines was fraudulent
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:16 pm 
Chard Martyr

Quote:
Godlee said the study shows that of the 12 cases Wakefield examined in his paper, five showed developmental problems before receiving the MMR vaccine and three never had autism.

Arghhh! That's awful! And it's all about the money!
I don't understand why someone didn't question any of this when his results couldn't be replicated by anyone... even himself!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

jordanpattern wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/05/autism.vaccines/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

This makes me so angry and sad for all the people whose deaths could have been prevented by vaccinations.

And the worst part is that the initial (fraudulent) report was SO widely publicized that it has been and will continue to be very difficult to change public beliefs about the dangers of vaccination. I work in perinatal mental health, so I've been following this issue for a long while. The paper was retracted over a year ago if I'm remembering correctly, and so far it's been very frustrating and scary to see how widely the fake results have spread. It's so hard to change false beliefs that are based on fear-mongering like this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:28 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

superherogirl wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/05/autism.vaccines/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

And the worst part is that the initial (fraudulent) report was SO widely publicized that it has been and will continue to be very difficult to change public beliefs about the dangers of vaccination. I work in perinatal mental health, so I've been following this issue for a long while. The paper was retracted over a year ago if I'm remembering correctly, and so far it's been very frustrating and scary to see how widely the fake results have spread. It's so hard to change false beliefs that are based on fear-mongering like this.

Yeah, you put it very well. People will probably keep pointing to this study, even now that it's been found not just wrong but fraudulent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:30 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

jordanpattern wrote:

I think that the number of people not getting vaccinated is small enough for this not to be a huge issue-there's too many people that are vaccinated for diseases to spread much through the population. It's still fairly disgusting, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:31 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Meggs wrote:
I don't understand why someone didn't question any of this when his results couldn't be replicated by anyone... even himself!

Exactly. It's unbelievable it took over a decade for the study to be retracted.

I know so many parents who have been swayed not to vax by the autism link, but it's a topic that gets emotional so fast it's really hard to sort out these mis-truths from the facts before everyone has got their defenses up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:36 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

superherogirl wrote:
The paper was retracted over a year ago if I'm remembering correctly, and so far it's been very frustrating and scary to see how widely the fake results have spread. It's so hard to change false beliefs that are based on fear-mongering like this.

I remember this happening and didn't realize it was still being debated.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:40 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

StepIntoTheLight wrote:
I think that the number of people not getting vaccinated is small enough for this not to be a huge issue-there's too many people that are vaccinated for diseases to spread much through the population. It's still fairly disgusting, though.

Remains to be seen. Every disease has a different threshold for herd immunity, some are quite high. The article points out that measles vaccinations in the UK have dropped as low as 80% in recent years, which is below the threshold number for measles (Wikipedia puts it at 83-94%, citing the CDC and WHO). There's no reason to believe that herd immunity will protect us from an outbreak in that case, and the problem is by no means contained; people will go on peddling this nonsense for years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:48 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Didn't they discredit him 6 years ago or so? This is new information? He admited it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:53 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

graffitipassion wrote:
Didn't they discredit him 6 years ago or so? This is new information? He admited it?

The paper was partially retracted six years ago by most of its authors due to the revelation of Wakefield's conflict of interest.

What's new now is that there's strong evidence of intentional fraud.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:18 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

just mumbles wrote:
graffitipassion wrote:

The paper was partially retracted six years ago by most of its authors due to the revelation of Wakefield's conflict of interest.

Right. Sorry - I tried to indicate that in the title, but it was too long. It's one thing for a study to be wrong. It's another altogether for it to be fraudulent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't think it will make a difference. Some people believe that vaccines are bad with a religious fervor. Facts will not deter them. The parents involved in the San Diego measles outbreak were not deterred.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:24 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Disinformation is so frustrating, especially when it's about something so serious.

My response (unless I'm in an argumentative mood) to anti-vaccine folks is to point out that even if what they claim was true, their child would have a better chance of suffering harm by riding in the car/playing in their own home/etc. than they would by getting vaccinated.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

Venomous Head of Veganism

I immediately thought of all the internet arguments that could have been avoided.

rowdily playing checkers

Vantine wrote:
I don't think it will make a difference. Some people believe that vaccines are bad with a religious fervor. Facts will not deter them. The parents involved in the San Diego measles outbreak were not deterred.

I don't think any dogmatists will be persuaded, but they might have a harder time persuading others. There's the possibility of limiting the damage, at least.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

The most recent studies have I have seen have shown the highest cases of autism in people who live near major highway, freeway etc (though this might have been a California study)... as a parent of a autistic child, I don't know what caused it, I am prone to think it is genetic, because my wife and I both have a kid with our ex partners and neither of them have autism, but our daughter together does.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:33 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Vantine wrote:

I agree. I know a woman who has 5 children who I don't think have received any vaccines. They all came down with whooping cough a few months ago, which is again becoming a prevalent disease in the U.S.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:07 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

jordanpattern wrote:
just mumbles wrote:
graffitipassion wrote:

Right. Sorry - I tried to indicate that in the title, but it was too long. It's one thing for a study to be wrong. It's another altogether for it to be fraudulent.

Yup, and even the news of it being intentional started to come out about a year ago, though it wasn't publicized very well.
This issue really gets my blood boiling because it's just one of many messages to parents telling them that their decisions have irreparably damaged their children and this one's really scary and has far reaching consequences.
Also because there are a lot of people who think that psychologists are just making all of our stuff up, and here's one example of just that!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Jenny McCarthy didn't help much either. You can't help but wonder how many people were swayed by her celebrity and her insistance that vaccines caused her son's issues.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

Hopefully this will lead to better research into what is causing the autism epidemic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ugh i remember when i was in college i got into an epic debate with a mom style kind of lady who hated vaccines.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:27 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

This won't make any difference to the Anti-Vaxers. It'll just be another sign that Big Pharma would rather sell vaccines than actually keep people healthy, and have thus discredited the ONE MAN WHO DARES SPEAK THE TRUTH.

This, rather than the obvious and supportable conclusion (he was a fraud with his own commercial interests), will be what Anti-Vaxers decide is The Truth because Anti-Vaxers are...

Well, I'm about to be judgemental, so I'll stop there. I'd love it if the Anti-Vax movement fell apart overnight, but I expect that ten or fifteen years from now, there will still be kids getting whooping cough and other easily-preventable diseases because their parents are what I am very charitably going to refer to as "uninformed."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:35 am 
Grandfathered In

Scientists have been saying for years and years that they have been unable to corroborate Wakefield's findings. They weren't able to change a lot of minds, I don't think. To many, many people, Wakefield's conclusions are Truth, whether they're true or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:45 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Yeah. But look on the bright side--those people will eventually die.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:22 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

just mumbles wrote:
Yeah. But look on the bright side--those people will eventually die.

gigity

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next