Post subject: You've come a long way, vegan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:35 am 
Chip Strong

NY times article

http://current.com/health/92903623_youv ... stream.htm

Post subject: Re: You've come a long way, vegan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:46 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I think that's the best informed article about veganism I've ever read. That reporter did his homework and restrained himself from all those tempting cliches.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:02 am 
ugh

Washington Post, not NY Times. Original is here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03153.html

And holy crepe, they don't mention PETA even once! How will people know to write Peta Eating Tasty Animals in the comments?!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:12 am 
Chip Strong

b.vicious wrote:
Washington Post, not NY Times. Original is here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03153.html

And holy crepe, they don't mention PETA even once! How will people know to write Peta Eating Tasty Animals in the comments?!

sorry for the wrong reference. thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:20 am 
ugh

b.vicious wrote:

I didn't even get that stupid cliche right! I'm a shitty troll.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:25 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Wow, a mainstream article about veganism that didn't make me die a little inside! A+ journalism. Pictures of Isa always help.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:27 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Wow, refreshing article; thanks for sharing. I am particularly excited about this:
Quote:
A book of vegan recipes containing alcohol, "The Tipsy Vegan" is upcoming.
yeah!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The author failed to mention the risk of B-12 deficiency and anemia! What about the risks?! Somebody tell him/her about the risks!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:40 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've read the entire article and I don't understand where they get their protein. How could the author have overlooked this vital question?

Also, how much do they miss bacon?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:28 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

nickvicious wrote:
The author failed to mention the risk of B-12 deficiency and anemia! What about the risks?! Somebody tell him/her about the risks!!!

and don't forget to plan every meal carefully for maximum nutrient intake! Only vegans need to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

My only complaint is the title of the article, veganism isn't a diet it is a lifestyle, otherwise it was a good article. Also I got to ask where the hell did the whole hippie vegan thing come about? I mean 20 years ago when I first went vegan the only other vegans I knew where punk and hardcore kids, all my dead head hippie friends where mostly vegetation, I honestly don't think I have ever meet a hippie vegan, though I don't hang out many places where hippies would be.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:15 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

veganskater wrote:
My only complaint is the title of the article, veganism isn't a diet it is a lifestyle, otherwise it was a good article.

I think it's pretty appropriate the way he's using it and in the context of the article. He's writing about the dietary component of veganism. I think vegan diets are becoming more popular at a greater rate than just plain veganism.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:20 pm 
Saggy Butt

mollyjade wrote:
veganskater wrote:
My only complaint is the title of the article, veganism isn't a diet it is a lifestyle, otherwise it was a good article.

I think it's pretty appropriate the way he's using it and in the context of the article. He's writing about the dietary component of veganism. I think vegan diets are becoming more popular at a greater rate than just plain veganism.

I am old school, there is not such thing as a vegan diet IMO, it's called vegetarianism :) To me it cheapens veganism if it becomes just another diet trend that goes in and out of style.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:35 pm 
Grandfathered In

veganskater wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
veganskater wrote:

I am old school, there is not such thing as a vegan diet IMO, it's called vegetarianism :) To me it cheapens veganism if it becomes just another diet trend that goes in and out of style.

Well, that makes 1 of you. I don't think anyone else thinks that vegetarians abstain from cheese-and egg-eating.

I also don't think "diet" (way of eating) is the same as "fashion."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:50 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

FootFace wrote:
veganskater wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

Well, that makes 1 of you. I don't think anyone else thinks that vegetarians abstain from cheese-and egg-eating.

I learned it as properly, 'strict vegetarians' abstain from dairy/eggs/honey in their food choices, and vegans abstain from animal products altogether. But I think only old hippies remember. Definitions get watered down over time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:29 pm 
Saggy Butt

Jill wrote:
I learned it as properly, 'strict vegetarians' abstain from dairy/eggs/honey in their food choices, and vegans abstain from animal products altogether. But I think only old hippies remember. Definitions get watered down over time.

Only if they are allowed to be watered down, that is why vegans need to stand up to all the diet bandwagon jumpers and explain the real deal, we don't have to allow the definition to change!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:18 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

veganskater wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
veganskater wrote:

The difference though between a vegan diet and any other fad diet is that being vegan makes you FEEL good and makes you look at the world differently. It also makes you more sensitive and compassionate to the earth and other lives on this planet. This could eventually transcend into a full vegan lifestyle for most people.

Every other diet I tried (atkins, south beach, nutrisystem) made me feel like shiitake. A vegan diet makes me feel amazing. Given this, I think sticking to a vegan diet is way easier and more desirable than it's other fad diet counterparts. So, if people initially start being vegan as a "diet" then so what? At least it's a step in the right direction.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:52 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Most people understand vegan diet to mean a diet in which you eat vegan. I don't think that means it's watered down.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:43 pm 
Grandfathered In

I mean, really. You go to a restaurant and the menu specifies this dish as vegetarian and this other dish as vegan.

If vegans ate vegetarian food, those two dishes would both be suitable for vegans.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ok, our concerns can be put to rest. Fox News posted the article and comments made sure to point out how vegans' brains can't function properly without animal protein, amongst other things.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

nickvicious wrote:
Ok, our concerns can be put to rest. Fox News posted the article and comments made sure to point out how vegans' brains can't function properly without animal protein, amongst other things.

It's good to know that according to the comments my children will be moving backwards down the evolutionary road, leading to a lower rate of survival for my progeny.

Not only am I saving animals and reducing cruelty, I'm also doing my part to fight overpopulation.

Edited for comma over-usage and improved grammatification.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:53 pm 
Saggy Butt

Funny I just read a study that showed that veg*ns where smarter then meat eaters on average, but then again what do you expect from a tv network that is the equivalent of the national enquirer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:00 am 
Saggy Butt

The food vegans eat is only part of what makes someone vegan.

Quote:
Veganism is compassion in action. It is a philosophy, diet, and lifestyle.

Veganism is an advanced way of living in accordance with Reverence for Life, recognizing the rights of all living creatures, and extending to them the compassion, kindness, and justice exemplified in the Golden Rule.

Vegans exclude flesh, fish, fowl, dairy products (animal milk, butter, cheese, yogurt, etc.), eggs, honey, animal gelatin, and all other foods of animal origin.

Veganism also excludes animal products such as leather, wool, fur, and silk in clothing, upholstery, etc. Vegans usually make efforts to avoid the less-than-obvious animal oils, secretions, etc., in many products such as soaps, cosmetics, toiletries, household goods and other common commodities.

I am sticking with the Vegan Society's definition, seeing as they invented it after all :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:27 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

veganskater wrote:
I am old school, there is not such thing as a vegan diet IMO, it's called vegetarianism :)

Vegan diet = the diet that vegans eat. Hope that clears it up for ya.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:27 am 
Saggy Butt

caterpillar wrote:
veganskater wrote:
I am old school, there is not such thing as a vegan diet IMO, it's called vegetarianism :)

Vegan diet = the diet that vegans eat. Hope that clears it up for ya.

See above quote from the vegan society.