It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starbucks replaces thousands of mugs with bone china ones
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:51 am 
Saggy Butt

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011 ... drops-mugs

These two paragraphs sum it up:
Quote:
The big heavy mugs used in stores, which Willson-Rymer said had become a "bit dated", are being replaced with bone china as the company responds to increasingly sophisticated coffee consumers and tough competition on the high street.

Starbucks would not say how much is being spent on the overhaul but in Britain alone some 140,000 cups will be replaced. The new tableware will start arriving in March, when the new branding will also begin to appear.

So apparently heavy mugs are out and drinking out of animal bones is in.

Post subject: Re: Starbucks replaces thousands of mugs with bone china one
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 pm 
Saggy Butt

I so expected this to be an article from the Onion...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:12 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I know it's silly, but I never even thought of "bone" china as being made from bones. I guess I thought it was just a description ("bone-like").

Not that it comes up much in my life - Corelle, plastic and various yard sale finds are my dishes, but the thought of eating off bones is disgusting.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:18 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Arisaig wrote:
I know it's silly, but I never even thought of "bone" china as being made from bones. I guess I thought it was just a description ("bone-like").

I'm just as silly, because I thought this too!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Wait. What? Wouldn't that be insanely more expensive than replacing?

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:20 pm 
Semen Strong

I never realized bone china was actually made out of bone ash.

The history of Bone China made me queasy.

Quote:
The bone ash that is used in bone china is made from cattle bones that have a lower iron content. These bones are crushed before being degelatinised and then calcined at up to 1250°C to produce bone ash[11]. The ash is milled to a fine particle size[12]. The kaolin component of the body is needed to give the unfired body plasticity which allows articles to be shaped.[13] This mixture is then fired at around 1200°C[14]. The raw materials for bone china are comparatively expensive, and the production is labour-intensive, which is why bone china maintains a luxury status and high pricing

My stepmother is always wittering on about bone china but I never realized. I guess I've been drinking my coffee and tea from unvegan vessels when I'm there.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:22 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

UGH! I definitely never realized that bone china is made from bones. I'm not keen on Starbuck's anyway, but this seems like a bad idea.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:26 pm 
Semen Strong

It sounds like the replacement will be in the UK only. I like that our local starbucks has nice big porcelain cups you can use, even if no one ever seems to except me and my friends.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

Seems pretty stupid to me. Just drink out of the damn cups that you already have. Starbucks is such a wasteful company.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:41 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Tofulish wrote:
It sounds like the replacement will be in the UK only. I like that our local starbucks has nice big porcelain cups you can use, even if no one ever seems to except me and my friends.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone drink out of a starbucks mug in starbucks...like ever. Reusable cups, occasionally, but never a real mug. I don't think I even knew they used those.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:51 pm 
Chip Strong

i also never realized that "bone china" meant it was made from bones!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:52 pm 
Chard Martyr

Magpie-Grin wrote:
Arisaig wrote:

Me three. My mother has a whole set (or two?) of china... made of bones. Forking gross.
Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:31 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Seems pretty stupid to me. Just drink out of the damn cups that you already have. Starbucks is such a wasteful company.

Seriously. Have you ever worked for Starbucks? If not, you would be completely shocked to find out how much of their baked goods (and everything else) are thrown out every night.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Magpie-Grin wrote:
Arisaig wrote:

i also thought it was just descriptive, like milk glass.

so when these new mugs become dated, will they start serving coffee out of elephant tusks or something?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:49 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Count me in as not knowing bone china was made from bones, either.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:07 am 
Saggy Butt

thisheregiraffe wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

Seriously. Have you ever worked for Starbucks? If not, you would be completely shocked to find out how much of their baked goods (and everything else) are thrown out every night.

And here they lock the dumpster or damage the food so the homeless can't eat it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:36 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i once had to work at one. and asked if i could donate the pastries to the local community kitchen. they said no.
i wouldn't ever buy a coffee from there.
because they have cups made from bones is just one facet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I worked there for two years and they never let us donate any food either. I used to just take muffins and hot chocolates out to homeless people myself before they could be thrown out.

Anyway, this mug thing is also stupid because Starbucks loses so much money on mugs anyway. I used to have to yell at at least three customers per week for just taking mugs off the top of the espresso machine and trying to walk out of the store with them. They're just going to have way more of them go missing now that they're fancier.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:44 am 
Chard Martyr

I'd like to say that when I worked at my internship, the local Starbucks donated their pastries to my internship site (a women's halfway house). It was really nice, because many of the women couldn't afford $3 coffee cake to go with their morning coffee. (Not that they needed it, but at least Starbucks wasn't throwing it away, and it was a nice treat for them).

So, maybe they are either working toward donation, only certain areas donate, or maybe my site had a special arrangement with the Starbucks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:42 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

thisheregiraffe wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

this is true pretty much everywhere, so it's tough to blame starbucks; the waste is industry-wide. in high school (pregan), my best friend and i used to hit two local donut shops three minutes before closing every saturday night, because if we bought six donut holes they would give us all the donut holes they had in the place that were going to be thrown out as soon as they closed. (please don't make fun of us for spending all of our saturdays this way; it was a very small town. our options were donut roundup or robotripping in the graveyard.)

more on topic, bone china is gross, and another of those "how the fork does someone even think of that?" things, like jell-o or imitation vanilla.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:50 pm 
Nailed to the V

veganskater wrote:
thisheregiraffe wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

And here they lock the dumpster or damage the food so the homeless can't eat it.

That's so sad. When I was in college I worked for a bagel company that didn't keep their bagels at the end of the day because of the lack of preservatives, but every day a rep from a homeless shelter would come and pick-up any extras we had. Why just throw something like that out if it's technically still good and someone else need it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:46 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Meggs wrote:
I'd like to say that when I worked at my internship, the local Starbucks donated their pastries to my internship site (a women's halfway house). It was really nice, because many of the women couldn't afford $3 coffee cake to go with their morning coffee. (Not that they needed it, but at least Starbucks wasn't throwing it away, and it was a nice treat for them).

So, maybe they are either working toward donation, only certain areas donate, or maybe my site had a special arrangement with the Starbucks.

Company policy doesn't allow it, ostensibly over concerns about being sued. Many individual store managers decide to flout company policy and do it.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:40 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Tofulish wrote:
I never realized bone china was actually made out of bone ash.

The history of Bone China made me queasy.

Quote:
The bone ash that is used in bone china is made from cattle bones that have a lower iron content. These bones are crushed before being degelatinised and then calcined at up to 1250°C to produce bone ash[11]. The ash is milled to a fine particle size[12]. The kaolin component of the body is needed to give the unfired body plasticity which allows articles to be shaped.[13] This mixture is then fired at around 1200°C[14]. The raw materials for bone china are comparatively expensive, and the production is labour-intensive, which is why bone china maintains a luxury status and high pricing

My stepmother is always wittering on about bone china but I never realized. I guess I've been drinking my coffee and tea from unvegan vessels when I'm there.

I never made the connection between actual bones and bone china either - I thought it was just a descriptive phrase. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:05 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I just ask them to pour the coffee straight into my cupped hands.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:14 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

sometime if you are in with the starbucks cognescenti they will let you lie across the counter and pour the beverage into your expectant mouth.