| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Are you still shopping at Target?
Yes 64%  64%  [ 34 ]
No 36%  36%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 53
 Post subject: Re: Target boycott (contributions to homophobic candidates)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pandacookie wrote:
I think the boycotts come about for various reasons. I remember a Whole Foods one was about some dumb remarks the CEO made. The remarks got spread around on the internet and started a debate.
I'd also be interested in some way to track the effectiveness. I remember when the Target one was a hot topic but then as soon as it fades from the news it seems to fade from practice as well. I'd say the same for all of them. BP was being boycotted this year because of the gulf oil spill. Who is keeping up with that? Either in boycott or in the news about the effects of the spill?

I would count Whole Foods as a big box store. The secret is to buy as much from independent businesses as you can. The extent to which that is possible depends upon your location and how much cash you have to spend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:35 pm 
Saggy Butt

I have mostly boycotted since the summer, though I did get a couple of things there for Christmas.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:13 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I'm so suspicious of Target right now. I got a $25 gift card from them in the mail today because I "won a Black Friday sweepstakes"! How does one win a sweepstakes if they stayed home all day that day and haven't been to Target in like two years? THIS IS A SET UP.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:38 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The Targets in MA that I have visited sucked. I do not shop there because they are awful places to be in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm already boycotting Target because I don't think they should be in Canada... AND I'm mad about the funding of anti gay politicians.

They're in the same category as WalMart for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pandacookie wrote:
I think the boycotts come about for various reasons. I remember a Whole Foods one was about some dumb remarks the CEO made. The remarks got spread around on the internet and started a debate.

It was this. He's a bit of a douche.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:58 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

hoveringdog wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

Yes it was. Yes he is. WF recently bought the small natural grocery "chain" in my area- only 2 or 3 stores. They will stop at nothing. RIP Greenlife.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pandacookie wrote:
hoveringdog wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

Yes it was. Yes he is. WF recently bought the small natural grocery "chain" in my area- only 2 or 3 stores. They will stop at nothing. RIP Greenlife.

They are Wal-Mart with ostrich eggs and happy meat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:23 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I don't think they are as bad as wal mart but I don't like the way they buy their competition. They bought a chain on the west coast called wild oats a few years back, too. And have probably done more small ones like Greenlife here, which is so small it won't make more than local news.
They haven't changed the name of the store to WF and I don't know that they will. They've gone about very slowly changing the stock over to their store branded stuff and have restructured some of the bakery cases and such. They have done their usual price cutting to undersell the other less-local chain called Earth Fare, which I think can be found throughout the south. And of course random products such as the smoked Tofurky slices are cheaper than the other Tofurky slices because the only kind of Tofurky slices sold at Trader Joe's are the smoked. So they must undercut them on price, which must now be company wide since there is no TJs here.
Greenlife was probably the best vegan-stocked store here, they have a decent bulk section and I hate it that some large corporation always has to come in and swallow smaller business up in the name of profits. The co-op here is good but not great although they do have the best bulk section in town. And they carry Dandies.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:10 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

We had Wild Oats in Nashville and when they were bought out, they stopped selling several of the things I bought there (vegan mascara and bath bombs are the first ones that come to mind).

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:18 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I looked it up because I was obviously wrong about their location (it only says in 24 states on wikipedia) and it said that "on July 29, 2008, the U.S. Court of Appeals overturned the district court's decision allowing the merger. In 2009 Whole Foods agreed to sell the Wild Oats chain."

But I can't find any information about Wild Oats operating again.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:30 am 
Cranky

pandacookie wrote:
I looked it up because I was obviously wrong about their location (it only says in 24 states on wikipedia) and it said that "on July 29, 2008, the U.S. Court of Appeals overturned the district court's decision allowing the merger. In 2009 Whole Foods agreed to sell the Wild Oats chain."

The Whole Foods in Medford used to be a Wild Oats. I know at least some of them were converted, though I don't know if all of them were.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:44 am 
Bathes in Braggs

pandacookie wrote:

The Wild Oats in Tampa and the Wild Oats in Cap Hill in Denver both turned into Whole Foods. And honestly, it's tough for me to get worked up about Whole Foods as a company because the one we go to now is small, complements the neighborhood really well (as in it allows other locally owned businesses, including small grocery stores, to thrive around it), and the people I know that work there are happy in their jobs and feel like they're treated well. Three WF stores in our area have made multiple sizable donations to community food projects where they get little or no recognition. The management at those stores seem genuinely dedicated to investing in their communities. I understand that this is not the case everywhere, but it makes it hard for me to hate them.

And coming back to Target- I would be happy if I never had to walk into another one of those in my life, but where do you go if you need an iron and ironing board? A toaster? I went to Target a few months ago because I need 25 stacking rubbermaid bins for storing seeds at work, and I don't know where else one gets that kind of thing. Here, it's pretty easy to get most of your food, clothing, furniture, etc. used or from locally owned businesses, but I still struggle with items that nowadays, seem to come exclusively from big box stores.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:55 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I think I am the exception in my WF dislike.

I stole Eppy's ironing board when I moved, so I am no help there.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pandacookie wrote:

I don't know what happened specifically to the Wild Oats stores, but Wild Oats used to own Henry's Marketplace (which where I lived at the time was the only store for bulk goods and "specialty" stuff like tempeh within biking distance). But when Whole Foods bought out Wild Oats, they sold the Henry's stores off to Smart and Final. Henry's went to shiitake after that. The one by me got rid of their bulk spices entirely, stopped carrying tempeh or soy yogurt, they couldn't even keep tofu stocked half the time.

The weird thing is that I had never seen a Whole Foods then (and have still never actually been in one). But somehow, this distant company still managed to completely fork up my tempeh supply. mustards.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pandacookie wrote:
I think I am the exception in my WF dislike.

I stole Eppy's ironing board when I moved, so I am no help there.

I am with you, Panda. Solidarity! My local health food store kicks WF's asparagus and without a huge altar to happy meat. I don't think there is a logical reason for liking WF and hating Target. They are both giant corporations who do the sorts of things giant corporations do in order to stay giant and powerful. The goal of both is to maximize profits and returns to their shareholders. Everything they do is directed towards that end.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:21 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

pandacookie wrote:
Greenlife was probably the best vegan-stocked store here, they have a decent bulk section and I hate it that some large corporation always has to come in and swallow smaller business up in the name of profits. The co-op here is good but not great although they do have the best bulk section in town. And they carry Dandies.

The coop has the best bulk section ANYWHERE. Its magical, and the nooch is cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:40 am 
WRETCHED

I don't care much for WF but I think that many arguments people have against WF aren't valid. I'm not talking about PPKers in general but many people call it 'Whole Foods" and honestly, compared to regular grocery stores in my area, the prices aren't bad. Sure if you go into Whole Foods and buy without looking at prices, especially produce and meat, then you may be hurting. If you are buying a whole lot of specialty stuff, then yes, it is going to cost a lot. And of course the reason that I may think it isn't too badly priced is because what PC said about it undercutting prices of other stores.

Now for me, we have a decent local grocer that is smaller but kicks WFs butt. So I go into WF once every few months. I like my local grocery store a lot more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:42 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Target agrees fund gay groups following Lady Gaga deal

OK, might end my boycott now...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:06 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

BFH wrote:

That is seriously awesome of her. She just regained the respect I lost after the meat dress.