| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:09 am 
Grandfathered In

Here's what I learned in their latest Good Medicine newsletter:
• According to a study in JAMA, fish oil supplements taken by pregnant women did not benefit the babies' cognitive development or mothers' mood.
• According to a recent survey, nutrition education in US med schools is getting worse.
• NASA has suspended the monkey radiation experiments opposed by PCRM (and, presumably, others).
• All Canadian med schools have ended animal labs for teaching, thanks in part to pressure from PCRM.
• PCRM's lawsuit against McDonald's to make them label their grilled chicken because it contains carcinogens is moving forward.
• Elizabeth Kucinich is hot. But I already knew that.
• According to a study in the Canadian Med Assoc Journal, women consuming the most soy products had the lowest rate of breast cancer recurrence.
• According to a study in the American Journal of Epidemiology, women consuming more vegetables have a decreased risk if breast cancer.
• According to research published in Bature Review Cancer, only one case of cancer was found in hundreds of Egyptian mummies studied.

Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:26 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

FootFace wrote:
• According to research published in Bature Review Cancer, only one case of cancer was found in hundreds of Egyptian mummies studied.

Huh. That's really interesting. Did the research say why?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:35 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

FootFace wrote:
• According to a study in JAMA, fish oil supplements taken by pregnant women did not benefit the babies' cognitive development or mothers' mood.

I posted about this a month ago. Do you still love me, too?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 am 
Grandfathered In

Niev wrote:
FootFace wrote:

It was just a little blurb. I guess cancer is just a modern disease. Also, it was NATURE Review Cancer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 am 
Grandfathered In

mollyjade wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:49 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

FootFace wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Yes.

i feel like this info is a little skewed because these are not the main reason to take dha/epa supplements during pregnancy. the study said that babies' IQs were not higher if their mothers took fish oil supplements, but dha/epa is still important for brain and eye development so taking supplements either fish or vegetarian sourced DHA is still a good idea during pregnancy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:23 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

ijustdiedinside wrote:
i feel like this info is a little skewed because these are not the main reason to take dha/epa supplements during pregnancy. the study said that babies' IQs were not higher if their mothers took fish oil supplements, but dha/epa is still important for brain and eye development so taking supplements either fish or vegetarian sourced DHA is still a good idea during pregnancy.

The study doesn't say not to take DHA, just that it didn't show improvement for these very specific things (cognitive development, coordination), contradicting some earlier, smaller studies. Why I found this interesting in the first place was that most of the DHA studies that have come out so far have been pretty small, and this was a larger, blind study. The hype for DHA is way beyond what science has shown so far. But still, the message that I took away from this (at least from the NYT write up) was that while DHA might not help with babies' IQ, it was still a good idea to take.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:32 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

yeah, i know the study doesn't say that, but i feel like that's what gets highlighted when there are just blurbs taken from the article. i find it interesting, too! I can't really articulate exactly why it bothers me. I just feel like when this article came out people were like "cool! DHA isnt necessary!" because they probably didn't know what it was for in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:59 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ijustdiedinside wrote:
yeah, i know the study doesn't say that, but i feel like that's what gets highlighted when there are just blurbs taken from the article. i find it interesting, too! I can't really articulate exactly why it bothers me. I just feel like when this article came out people were like "cool! DHA isnt necessary!" because they probably didn't know what it was for in the first place.

because it references things in a way that assumes the reader understands the complexities of a nutrient, when they most likely do not?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

FootFace wrote:
Niev wrote:
FootFace wrote:

It was just a little blurb. I guess cancer is just a modern disease. Also, it was NATURE Review Cancer.

dont you think its an age thing? humans didnt live very long back then, now they do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:58 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Wow, they're like bizarro PETA. Inconspicuous yet really effective and great.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I saw that about the Canadian universities ending animal labs, it was my university that was holding out for the longest time! I feel mad that it took so long (students have been against it for years!) but oddly proud.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:50 pm 
Grandfathered In

We don't get cancer so much more than people used to only because of increased life spans. That is, increased life spans can't be the only answer. I don't know much about how life spans have changed, once you take infant mortality out of the equation.

When we say, "People in the Middle Ages" (or whatever) had an average life expectancy of 35 (or whatever), that's completely misleading. It gives the feeling that most people died around their 35th birthday. The real story is that so many more people than now died when they were infants or children. What would the life expectancy look like way back then if you could just look at people who were, say, 10 years old? What would the average life expectancy of a 10-year-old be in Ancient Egypt?

Or whatever!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:59 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

FootFace wrote:
We don't get cancer so much more than people used to only because of increased life spans. That is, increased life spans can't be the only answer. I don't know much about how life spans have changed, once you take infant mortality out of the equation.

When we say, "People in the Middle Ages" (or whatever) had an average life expectancy of 35 (or whatever), that's completely misleading. It gives the feeling that most people died around their 35th birthday. The real story is that so many more people than now died when they were infants or children. What would the life expectancy look like way back then if you could just look at people who were, say, 10 years old? What would the average life expectancy of a 10-year-old be in Ancient Egypt?

Or whatever!

Here's a good article about it - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/healt ... wanted=all

FF is pretty much right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:05 pm 
Grandfathered In

vegimator wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Here's a good article about it - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/healt ... wanted=all

FF is pretty much right.

Right (pretty much) about the life expectancy stuff.

Wrong (pretty much) about the newness of cancer thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:29 am 
Saggy Butt

Never stopped liking them :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:40 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Is this because I didn't like their cookbook lists? I LIKE GORDON RAMSAY, I CAN'T HELP IT, OKAY!?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:34 am 
Grandfathered In

Fee wrote:
Is this because I didn't like their cookbook lists? I LIKE GORDON RAMSAY, I CAN'T HELP IT, OKAY!?

I was going to say, " Sheesh! Not everything is about YOU!"

But then I remembered.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

FootFace wrote:
vegimator wrote:
FootFace wrote:

FF is pretty much right.

Right (pretty much) about the life expectancy stuff.

Wrong (pretty much) about the newness of cancer thing.

hm. interesting. thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:32 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I still love Footface.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:27 pm 
Grandfathered In

FootFace thanks you and returns the love. And refers to himself in the third person because he is interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:33 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

If you love PCRM so much, why don't you marry them?

(Now you say: "Because of the white man's laws.")

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

FootFace wrote:

Generally, in the ancient world, people who survived infancy were expected to live into their seventies. Hence, in the Psalms, "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow..." (Also, apparently, they were expected to live lives of drudgery and sorrow until they dropped dead).

But, yeah, once you take infant mortality out of the equation, we haven't really made much of a leap forward in terms of longevity.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:47 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Did I miss a memo? Is PCRM not "cool" anymore?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:57 pm 
Chip Strong

I still like PCRM, I just wasn't crazy about their cookbook recommendations. And Elizabeth Kucinich looks like she should be riding around town in a giant clam shell while little angels blow flower petals on her, and I'm into that.