| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:09 am 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9623
Location: Seattle
Here's what I learned in their latest Good Medicine newsletter:
• According to a study in JAMA, fish oil supplements taken by pregnant women did not benefit the babies' cognitive development or mothers' mood.
• According to a recent survey, nutrition education in US med schools is getting worse.
• NASA has suspended the monkey radiation experiments opposed by PCRM (and, presumably, others).
• All Canadian med schools have ended animal labs for teaching, thanks in part to pressure from PCRM.
• PCRM's lawsuit against McDonald's to make them label their grilled chicken because it contains carcinogens is moving forward.
• Elizabeth Kucinich is hot. But I already knew that.
• According to a study in the Canadian Med Assoc Journal, women consuming the most soy products had the lowest rate of breast cancer recurrence.
• According to a study in the American Journal of Epidemiology, women consuming more vegetables have a decreased risk if breast cancer.
• According to research published in Bature Review Cancer, only one case of cancer was found in hundreds of Egyptian mummies studied.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:26 am 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:44 pm
Posts: 1145
Location: Transplanted to St. Louis
FootFace wrote:
.
• According to research published in Bature Review Cancer, only one case of cancer was found in hundreds of Egyptian mummies studied.


Huh. That's really interesting. Did the research say why?

_________________
Real vegans eat nothing but organic, grass-fed grass. - FootFace
I avoid protein on principle. - IsaChandra
I used to dress up like Wonder Woman but I didn't grow up to an Amazon Princess who dabbles in bondage and flys an invisible jet. -idatetattoedguys


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:35 am 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4062
Location: Austin
FootFace wrote:
Here's what I learned in their latest Good Medicine newsletter:
• According to a study in JAMA, fish oil supplements taken by pregnant women did not benefit the babies' cognitive development or mothers' mood.

I posted about this a month ago. Do you still love me, too?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 am 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9623
Location: Seattle
Niev wrote:
FootFace wrote:
.
• According to research published in Bature Review Cancer, only one case of cancer was found in hundreds of Egyptian mummies studied.


Huh. That's really interesting. Did the research say why?


It was just a little blurb. I guess cancer is just a modern disease. Also, it was NATURE Review Cancer.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 am 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9623
Location: Seattle
mollyjade wrote:
FootFace wrote:
Here's what I learned in their latest Good Medicine newsletter:
• According to a study in JAMA, fish oil supplements taken by pregnant women did not benefit the babies' cognitive development or mothers' mood.

I posted about this a month ago. Do you still love me, too?


Yes.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:49 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10734
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
FootFace wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
FootFace wrote:
Here's what I learned in their latest Good Medicine newsletter:
• According to a study in JAMA, fish oil supplements taken by pregnant women did not benefit the babies' cognitive development or mothers' mood.

I posted about this a month ago. Do you still love me, too?


Yes.


i feel like this info is a little skewed because these are not the main reason to take dha/epa supplements during pregnancy. the study said that babies' IQs were not higher if their mothers took fish oil supplements, but dha/epa is still important for brain and eye development so taking supplements either fish or vegetarian sourced DHA is still a good idea during pregnancy.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:23 am 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4062
Location: Austin
ijustdiedinside wrote:
i feel like this info is a little skewed because these are not the main reason to take dha/epa supplements during pregnancy. the study said that babies' IQs were not higher if their mothers took fish oil supplements, but dha/epa is still important for brain and eye development so taking supplements either fish or vegetarian sourced DHA is still a good idea during pregnancy.

The study doesn't say not to take DHA, just that it didn't show improvement for these very specific things (cognitive development, coordination), contradicting some earlier, smaller studies. Why I found this interesting in the first place was that most of the DHA studies that have come out so far have been pretty small, and this was a larger, blind study. The hype for DHA is way beyond what science has shown so far. But still, the message that I took away from this (at least from the NYT write up) was that while DHA might not help with babies' IQ, it was still a good idea to take.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:32 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10734
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
yeah, i know the study doesn't say that, but i feel like that's what gets highlighted when there are just blurbs taken from the article. i find it interesting, too! I can't really articulate exactly why it bothers me. I just feel like when this article came out people were like "cool! DHA isnt necessary!" because they probably didn't know what it was for in the first place.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:59 am 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 3305
Location: mt. pleasant
ijustdiedinside wrote:
yeah, i know the study doesn't say that, but i feel like that's what gets highlighted when there are just blurbs taken from the article. i find it interesting, too! I can't really articulate exactly why it bothers me. I just feel like when this article came out people were like "cool! DHA isnt necessary!" because they probably didn't know what it was for in the first place.

because it references things in a way that assumes the reader understands the complexities of a nutrient, when they most likely do not?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:48 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1920
Location: Buffalo!
FootFace wrote:
Niev wrote:
FootFace wrote:
.
• According to research published in Bature Review Cancer, only one case of cancer was found in hundreds of Egyptian mummies studied.


Huh. That's really interesting. Did the research say why?


It was just a little blurb. I guess cancer is just a modern disease. Also, it was NATURE Review Cancer.

dont you think its an age thing? humans didnt live very long back then, now they do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:58 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 1066
Wow, they're like bizarro PETA. Inconspicuous yet really effective and great.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:02 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:39 pm
Posts: 1902
Location: St. John's Newfoundland
I saw that about the Canadian universities ending animal labs, it was my university that was holding out for the longest time! I feel mad that it took so long (students have been against it for years!) but oddly proud.

_________________
I was really surprised the first time I saw a penis. After those banana tutorials, I was expecting something so different. -Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:50 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9623
Location: Seattle
We don't get cancer so much more than people used to only because of increased life spans. That is, increased life spans can't be the only answer. I don't know much about how life spans have changed, once you take infant mortality out of the equation.

When we say, "People in the Middle Ages" (or whatever) had an average life expectancy of 35 (or whatever), that's completely misleading. It gives the feeling that most people died around their 35th birthday. The real story is that so many more people than now died when they were infants or children. What would the life expectancy look like way back then if you could just look at people who were, say, 10 years old? What would the average life expectancy of a 10-year-old be in Ancient Egypt?

Or whatever!

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:59 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 1464
FootFace wrote:
We don't get cancer so much more than people used to only because of increased life spans. That is, increased life spans can't be the only answer. I don't know much about how life spans have changed, once you take infant mortality out of the equation.

When we say, "People in the Middle Ages" (or whatever) had an average life expectancy of 35 (or whatever), that's completely misleading. It gives the feeling that most people died around their 35th birthday. The real story is that so many more people than now died when they were infants or children. What would the life expectancy look like way back then if you could just look at people who were, say, 10 years old? What would the average life expectancy of a 10-year-old be in Ancient Egypt?

Or whatever!


Here's a good article about it - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/healt ... wanted=all

FF is pretty much right.

_________________
Like the beleaguered people of sub-Saharan Africa, I'll just go to Denny's. Solidarity!
-mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:05 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9623
Location: Seattle
vegimator wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Here's a good article about it - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/healt ... wanted=all

FF is pretty much right.


Right (pretty much) about the life expectancy stuff.

Wrong (pretty much) about the newness of cancer thing.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:29 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:10 pm
Posts: 307
Location: Sacramento Ca
Never stopped liking them :)

_________________
" It was my dog Boycott who led me to question the right of humans to eat other sentient beings."
— Cesar Chavez


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:40 am 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5405
Location: BRLA
Is this because I didn't like their cookbook lists? I LIKE GORDON RAMSAY, I CAN'T HELP IT, OKAY!?

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:34 am 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9623
Location: Seattle
Fee wrote:
Is this because I didn't like their cookbook lists? I LIKE GORDON RAMSAY, I CAN'T HELP IT, OKAY!?


I was going to say, " Sheesh! Not everything is about YOU!"

But then I remembered.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:58 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1920
Location: Buffalo!
FootFace wrote:
vegimator wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Here's a good article about it - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/healt ... wanted=all

FF is pretty much right.


Right (pretty much) about the life expectancy stuff.

Wrong (pretty much) about the newness of cancer thing.

hm. interesting. thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:32 pm 
Offline
Venomous Head of Veganism
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 8592
I still love Footface.

_________________
"You guys are a little bit fast to identify as not-mumbles. " ~ mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:27 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9623
Location: Seattle
FootFace thanks you and returns the love. And refers to himself in the third person because he is interesting.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:33 pm 
Offline
rowdily playing checkers
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 3010
If you love PCRM so much, why don't you marry them?

(Now you say: "Because of the white man's laws.")

_________________
"Tits are inconsequential, but someone pass me that kitten" ~ papayapaprikás


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:55 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:02 pm
Posts: 1859
Location: Spokane, WA
FootFace wrote:
We don't get cancer so much more than people used to only because of increased life spans. That is, increased life spans can't be the only answer. I don't know much about how life spans have changed, once you take infant mortality out of the equation.


Generally, in the ancient world, people who survived infancy were expected to live into their seventies. Hence, in the Psalms, "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow..." (Also, apparently, they were expected to live lives of drudgery and sorrow until they dropped dead).

But, yeah, once you take infant mortality out of the equation, we haven't really made much of a leap forward in terms of longevity.

_________________
"All PPK gamers should put on their badge of shame right now. You will never leave the no-sex thread." - Vantine
"I'm so glad my prison of principles has wifi." - Abelskiver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:47 pm 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 6735
Location: Norristown, PA
Did I miss a memo? Is PCRM not "cool" anymore?

_________________
Man, fork the gender card, imma come at you with the whole damned gender deck. - Olives
Did you ever think that, like, YOU are a sexy costume FOR a diva cup? - solipsistnation
blog! FB!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I still love PCRM
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:57 pm 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 998
Location: LxFxOxDx/Thrashachusetts
I still like PCRM, I just wasn't crazy about their cookbook recommendations. And Elizabeth Kucinich looks like she should be riding around town in a giant clam shell while little angels blow flower petals on her, and I'm into that.

_________________
"Oh boy. First of all, William Shakespeare's Dildo Liberal Arts College has a great Art History program. Leave them out of this."-Hoveringdog


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer