| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: beautiful people are smarter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/20 ... (Lifestyle)&utm_content=Twitter

i heard about this a few days ago, and instantly thought it needed some ppk attention. what do you think? the danish article about it was quite a bit longer- i haven't been able to find a really good article in english (if anyone can, please post it!) - but it seems like it's a pretty serious study.

it does make sense that physically attractive, intelligent people pair up with equally physically attractive, intelligent people, who make ditto babies.

discuss.

Post subject: Re: beautiful people are smarter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:31 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Man, if I didn't have big boobs my self esteem would be pretty low right now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:51 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

smoothie wrote:
it does make sense that physically attractive, intelligent people pair up with equally physically attractive, intelligent people, who make ditto babies.

I'm not sure that does make sense to me, given that straight men are notoriously intimidated by intelligent women (which is also supported by research). The researchers seem to be making the standard claim that straight women are attracted to success, intelligence is correlated with success, and that successful straight men are attracted to beautiful women, and therefore those traits are more likely to be paired in succeeding generations.

But if they are, then we'd also expect that intelligent, beautiful couples would be driven apart in the generation after that.

Over time this presumably settles into some kind of stasis where beautiful people are more likely to be intelligent (given that that's what the data shows), but I would expect it to be a self-correcting tendency.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:05 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

just mumbles wrote:
I'm not sure that does make sense to me, given that straight men are notoriously intimidated by intelligent women (which is also supported by research).

This explains why i'm so popular with the dudes!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:10 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Aren't IQs highly variably depending on a person's education? I mean, an IQ is supposed to measure your capacity to learn, but they're not reliable and heavily influenced by social trends (i.e. shittys schools=kids with lower IQs than rich kids).

IOW, couldn't this just be that beautiful people are treated better and that privilege extends to their educations. In other words, if you're a pretty kid, teachers like you more and spend more time teaching you than Joe Ugly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Adah wrote:
Aren't IQs highly variably depending on a person's education? I mean, an IQ is supposed to measure your capacity to learn, but they're not reliable and heavily influenced by social trends (i.e. shittys schools=kids with lower IQs than rich kids).

IOW, couldn't this just be that beautiful people are treated better and that privilege extends to their educations. In other words, if you're a pretty kid, teachers like you more and spend more time teaching you than Joe Ugly.

I remember in psychology our prof told us we shouldn't put much stock into IQ scores, but she wasn't hot so I dunno if we should believe her now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:17 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Adah wrote:

I think it's supposed to tell you how much you can achieve educationally, but they aren't like standardized tests and are often visuospatial (which I would imagine is kind of hard to teach). However, if your environment is not supportive your IQ will be at a lower level. I remember reading about it in psychology last year, though I may be a bit fuzzy on the details.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:17 pm 
WELFARIST!

I put more stock in what I call "perceptual intelligence" which I think is more closely related to what is commonly known as EQ. Although I don't read much about this stuff, so I don't officially know what I'm talking about. Just as a human, what I've observed, this is the conclusion I've come to.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:20 pm 
Chard Martyr

Adah wrote:

True. I believe you have an innate capability toward a certain IQ but they (Rosenthal et al.) did tests where they told teachers that children were "bloomers," when in fact nothing was special about the child, but the teacher paid more attention to the child due to the fact that they believed that they were going to perform well.... the children who were labeled as "bloomers" ended up performing better and their IQ scores increased over the span of that year. It's called the Rosenthal Effect. (Version of self-fulfilling prophecy)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:27 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

But if it were true that IQ were just a measure of social privilege, this research would suggest that people who inherit their privileged status should become more beautiful over time.

Is that really plausible?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:55 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Sarah Palin. fork off, stupid study.

(more intelligence, and probably a prettier face, after eight hours of sleep).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I would love to read more about this, the article is really not informative on the actual study.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:11 am 

Click the links, one of them is to the actual study

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Fee wrote:
Click the links, one of them is to the actual study

ohhh thanks.

they failed to factor in the Solomon Principal which states that two attractive people will make awkward looking babies, whereas two awkward people will make attractive babies. This balances the scales and keeps us from creating a race of super-attractive freaks of nature when attractive people only bone each other.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:29 am 

My mom is hot as shiitake and really smart. And I came out weird looking and dumb as rocks, but I can do a dead on impression of Wilford Brimley. So!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

First of all, who decides what's "beautiful"? Yeah, right.
Secondly, What the forking fork.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:04 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Phoenix wrote:

<3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:14 am 
Semen Strong

I'm with Adah on this. Studies show that attractive people generally are given more opportunities and end up earning more than their less attractive counterparts. Study

So often they are treated like they are smarter and also are given the opportunities/have the money to spend doing things to enhance their intellect.

When we were in law school, employers used to come to our campus and decide who they would interview. Based just on resumes, my super-attractive white friend and my overweight Indian friend got the same number of interviews (both had a B average). But my very attractive friend ended up with more offers than anyone in our class (21), in part because at all the mixers she had employers circling her like drones.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:17 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I was an ugly kid and some of my teachers hated me, but I don't think I'm dumb (most of the time).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:20 am 
Semen Strong

Post pictures!

I am pretty sure this is going to be like the "You shouldn't be in Pictures" thread where you get banned for being too cute.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:21 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I have some pictures but they are all in a photo album at my mom's and I don't have a scanner. Wah wah wahhhh.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:37 am 
Semen Strong

I imagine they look like a smaller and cuter version of this .... Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:57 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

personally i think it might be true, but really it doesn't matter. everyone are important, no matter how intelligent they are, or how physically attractive they are. we need people to do all sorts of work and live all sorts of life.
diversity is not only interesting but also really important.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:55 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

fezza wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

<3

I also would like to know who gets to decided what's beautiful. I've known plenty of "gorgeous" men and women throughout my life who were dumb as rocks. My step father in law is nice looking ( I guess ) and he's a Mensa member. He's also extremely nice and patient to a fault.
I also like how you can meet someone who could be drop dead gorgeous ( to your own eyes ) and then as you get to know them they can become less attractive because they are so awful. Until you all of a sudden look at them and think "ugh, I can't believe I ever thought you were hot".
Studies like this are such a waste and I personally don't think there is anything to this. And that's not because I'm "ugly".....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:01 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

greenie wrote:
fezza wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

<3

I also would like to know who gets to decided what's beautiful. I've known plenty of "gorgeous" men and women throughout my life who were dumb as rocks. My step father in law is nice looking ( I guess ) and he's a Mensa member. He's also extremely nice and patient to a fault.
I also like how you can meet someone who could be drop dead gorgeous ( to your own eyes ) and then as you get to know them they can become less attractive because they are so awful. Until you all of a sudden look at them and think "ugh, I can't believe I ever thought you were hot".
Studies like this are such a waste and I personally don't think there is anything to this. And that's not because I'm "ugly".....

It works the other way round as well: I've met some people of whom I initially thought they were rather plain-looking, and as soon as I got to know them better and realized what kind and intelligent persons they are, I couldn't believe that I once thought that these pretty people were plain-looking. So it's all in the mind, I guess.