| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: beautiful people are smarter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:01 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Well in this particular study it was a teacher in the British one and a random interviewer for the American one who got to decide. In the discussion section they go over how the halo effect could explain the results in the British study, but the American one also produced significant results where it was really unlikely.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:26 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Phoenix wrote:

It works the other way round as well: I've met some people of whom I initially thought they were rather plain-looking, and as soon as I got to know them better and realized what kind and intelligent persons they are, I couldn't believe that I once thought that these pretty people were plain-looking. So it's all in the mind, I guess.

yes it absolutely works the other way around

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:27 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

just mumbles wrote:
given that straight men are notoriously intimidated by intelligent women (which is also supported by research).

I know this is a bit off the original topic, but could you post some links to this? I have long thought this to be true but have never seen any research about it. I would like to read it.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:41 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

pandacookie wrote:
just mumbles wrote:
given that straight men are notoriously intimidated by intelligent women (which is also supported by research).

I know this is a bit off the original topic, but could you post some links to this? I have long thought this to be true but have never seen any research about it. I would like to read it.

It's why we're single panders, we are the proof!

;]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:47 am 
Semen Strong

I guess that means my husband must be gay.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:08 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I'm going to edit this out to keep on topic as much as it is.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:20 am 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Tofulish wrote:
I guess that means my husband must be gay.

Or the exception that makes the rule?

I have to say that in my experience many (not all) men are freaked out by a smart woman. I've watched many a boner deflate when I mentioned that I have a PhD. I wish I could say that these were dumb men themselves, but it happens with the smart ones too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:41 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:53 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Fee wrote:
Well in this particular study it was a teacher in the British one and a random interviewer for the American one who got to decide. In the discussion section they go over how the halo effect could explain the results in the British study, but the American one also produced significant results where it was really unlikely.

It looks like from reading it, they had TWO teachers rate the child at 7, and then two different teachers at 11 in Britain. It's confusing because at first it says "the teacher" and the it says
Quote:
A respondent is coded as attractive=1 if
he or she is described as “attractive” at both age 7 and age 11
by two different teachers, 0 otherwise

In the American data, it looks like they only used one person to make the call.

I'm not sure I love their method of deciding what is attractive. Only using one or two people to make that decision seems like a bad idea. They could have used something slightly more non-biased, like a measure of facial symmetry or used a pool of people looking at pictures of the subjects.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:03 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

ew, they're rating the attractiveness of children? That just seems kinda gross to me....yes please let's go ahead and make children feel like they have nothing to offer the world unless they're deemed "attractive". Oh, but not to worry little children, if you're not pretty enough the world always needs more janitors.*
As a side note, I was a freakishly adorable child. Blonde hair, big brown eyes w/ long lashes, smushy cheeks and big full lips. All those physical traits only make for an averagely cute adult woman. So was I smarter as a child then as I lost some attractiveness did I also lose some intelligence?

*now that's an insult to janitors. That somehow indicates that it a more lowly job than some other jobs might be. That's not what I intended to do....the janitor at my children's school is a wonderful man who really likes his job. He has a great schedule, gets to be around a lively environment and pretty much all around awesome. It's just not a job that one would think of as great unless you really get down to the nuts and bolts of it. It's probably a pretty great job.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:09 pm 

I don't think it's that bad. It's not sexualizing them to rate attractiveness. And it's not like they knew their rating.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:16 pm 
Chard Martyr

Fee wrote:
I don't think it's that bad. It's not sexualizing them to rate attractiveness. And it's not like they knew their rating.
I concur. They need a baseline, because it looks like it was a longitudinal study.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:31 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

seitanicverses wrote:
I put more stock in what I call "perceptual intelligence" which I think is more closely related to what is commonly known as EQ. Although I don't read much about this stuff, so I don't officially know what I'm talking about. Just as a human, what I've observed, this is the conclusion I've come to.

I've noticed this as well. I worked with a guy who liked to tell everyone that he had a genious IQ. He even used it as a selling point in interviews when he and I were both up for the same position. But...when we were working together in the same position, I was CONSTANTLY having to fix total screw ups from him. He had a high IQ but his EQ was not so great.

And I don't see why they need to use children in a study like this. Everyone knows that a lovely child doesn't always grow into their facial features and a child w/ odd features can often grow into their features and turn out to be the most beautiful adult. It's not that the children may or may not be sexualized that I think is weird, I just think it's weird to rate children on attractiveness and intelligence while they're still growing and learning and forming their bodies and minds. Leave 'em alone. And kids pick up on stuff we adults don't even realize. I'd be willing to bet that more than some of those children ( especially the kids w/ a high EQ) picked up on what was going on. I still say it's pretty messed up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:36 pm 

Because it's a longitudinal study?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:56 pm 
Chard Martyr

I think it's a good point that children can grow up to look different as adults. Yet, the results are still significant. Interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:04 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Fee wrote:
Because it's a longitudinal study?

yah, yah...that's why

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:25 am 
Level 7 Vegan

They pointed out that attractiveness was consistent from 7 to 11...but they didn't mention from 11 to adult.