| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's Not Beef
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookou ... ually-beef

Quote:
The remainder of the Taco Bell's meat filling product consists of "extenders" like water, "Isolated Oat Product," wheat oats, maltodrextrin, soy lecithin, maltodrextrin, anti-dusting agent, autolyzed yeast extract, modified corn starch, sodium phosphate and silicon dioxide.

Post subject: Re: It's Not Beef
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:34 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Quote:
The firm contends that that Taco Bell shouldn't market the taco meat filling in question as beef because their testing shows that it only contains 36 percent ground beef.

You're so close to making your taco meat vegan Taco Bell! You can do it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:39 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I just read about that. Silicon dixoide makes everything taste better!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:44 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Hasn't this been known for a long time? It's all over my twitter feed today. What do you expect for a 43 cent burrito stuffed with Fritos?

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:51 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm totally not shocked. If they question 'beef' then they might have to look at school meat because that stuff is mostly soy anyway.

"would you like your taco with our beef like product?"

And if you are going to target misleading marketing, why not look at fruit loops 'made with whole grains'? There is a lot of misleading advertisement. It is up to the consumer to look at the ingredients of what they are eating.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:03 pm 
Nailed to the V

So, I can eat 2\3 of the burrito and it'll be vegan. Yes!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

the fillers sound better to me than the "beef" part. especially considering the parts of "beef" they're using.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I read it this way:
Quote:
anti-disgusting agent

Wouldn't that be a great ingredient to patent?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:08 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

linanil wrote:
And if you are going to target misleading marketing, why not look at fruit loops 'made with whole grains'? There is a lot of misleading advertisement. It is up to the consumer to look at the ingredients of what they are eating.

It shouldn't be, though.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:41 pm 
WRETCHED

j-dub wrote:
linanil wrote:

It shouldn't be, though.

I'm not sure how else they would do it. When you go to a restaurant, you don't see a list of ingredients on the menu and that would make fast food restaurants have really long menus if it was required. In most of them, you can ask for the ingredients though. In other countries though, some products don't even have the ingredients on it so it is a bit of a mystery. At least we get that on our packaged products.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:06 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I remember in high school when someone told me that the labels on taco bell boxes said "Grade D, but edible". That is when I stopped eating taco bell. That was 15 years ago, why is this news so shocking now? (I don't know if the boxes really said/say that, but it is what I was told and ew).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:12 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

littlebear wrote:
I remember in high school when someone told me that the labels on taco bell boxes said "Grade D, but edible". That is when I stopped eating taco bell. That was 15 years ago, why is this news so shocking now? (I don't know if the boxes really said/say that, but it is what I was told and ew).

Nope, apparently not true: http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/badmeat.asp (not that I'm encouraging you to go back to eating at Taco Bell)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tzippy wrote:
littlebear wrote:

Nope, apparently not true: http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/badmeat.asp (not that I'm encouraging you to go back to eating at Taco Bell)

no worries, i am completely satisfied with a bean burrito!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:29 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

linanil wrote:
j-dub wrote:
linanil wrote:

It shouldn't be, though.

I'm not sure how else they would do it. When you go to a restaurant, you don't see a list of ingredients on the menu and that would make fast food restaurants have really long menus if it was required. In most of them, you can ask for the ingredients though. In other countries though, some products don't even have the ingredients on it so it is a bit of a mystery. At least we get that on our packaged products.

Well, we could move towards a culture that eats actual food rather than modified food products. And I'm not actually saying that menus should necessarily have every ingredient on them, but I think that holding accountable multinational corporations that make products that are not only purely unhealthy but also claim to be otherwise would be a very good thing.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:36 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm not shocked at all, I just find it completely disgusting and a tiny bit amusing. Anti-dusting agent...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:15 pm 
WRETCHED

j-dub wrote:
Well, we could move towards a culture that eats actual food rather than modified food products. And I'm not actually saying that menus should necessarily have every ingredient on them, but I think that holding accountable multinational corporations that make products that are not only purely unhealthy but also claim to be otherwise would be a very good thing.

Well I agree with that although I don't think Taco Bell ever claimed to be healthy. I also don't think that we'd move away from modified food products without something quite drastic happening to spur that move.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:39 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I thought it was common knowledge (at least among people who pay attention to shiitake like this) that most fast food meat has fillers in it. I'm surprised that people are surprised by this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

"Meat hose"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:33 am 
WELFARIST!

hoveringdog wrote:

Hahaha, ewwww.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:57 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I heard them talking about this on NPR driving home last night; I couldn't help laughing at the astonishment/borderline horror in the person's voice as they reported that it contained hideous ingredients like "soybeans, oats, and wheat products." I'm sure these disgusting things are mixed in with others that are far less recognizable as foodstuffs, but the notion of being outraged at calling something "beef" when it contains less the the 70% dead cow required to "earn" that designation just makes me scratch my head: "Now, 30% of that non-beef crepe in my gross, cheap-ass fast food taco is one thing, but I ain't gonna eat nothin' made of 65% stuff that ain't dead, see?"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:56 am 
Chip Strong

My local morning news guy, who I am kind of in love with, reacted to this by saying "If the other 65% is awesome, than it's still DELICIOUS." I like to imagine him pretty much constantly smoking weed when he's not on camera.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:01 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I don't know why they just don't go ahead and make it all vegan--it would taste better and be a hell of a lot cheaper too! I also think they are going to get away with this because it's called "Beef-Y" not just "beef", thus connotating that is has beef in it but is not totally 100% beef. So, more like beef-ish.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:05 am 
WELFARIST!

Desdemona wrote:
I couldn't help laughing at the astonishment/borderline horror in the person's voice as they reported that it contained hideous ingredients like "soybeans, oats, and wheat products."

Haha, because those three products along with corn aren't already in almost EVERYTHING. I think if I was going to call up in horror over anything, it would be something like, "anti-dusting agent".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:27 am 
Level 7 Vegan

hopshackgirl wrote:
"Beef-Y" not just "beef", thus connotating that is has beef in it but is not totally 100% beef. So, more like beef-ish.

Probably. I can see people being mad if the advertising said 100% all-beef like some burger chain ads claim. But they put that -y...so I people are supposed to know that it's crepe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

Ceci n'est pas le boeuf.