| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Has Whole Foods sold all of you out to Monsanto
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:48 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Read and decide. I think they forking have, but then again why should I be surprised by large corporations in the first place...no matter what guise they hide under

http://www.organicconsumers.org/article ... _22449.cfm

from WF website blog

http://blog.wholefoodsmarket.com/2011/0 ... -ge-crops/

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Has Whole Foods sold all of you out to Monsanto
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:37 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Yeah, Mons@nto is fairly evil. Ooops!! Did I say that out loud? d'oH!!

The only reason I shop at WF anymore is for a few items I cannot get anywhere else. Daiya, GT Dave's kombucha, Bob's Red Mill wheat gluten, coconut milk "creamer", and their bulk foods aisle which still has good prices on different grains, dried beans, and nutritional yeast flakes.

I refuse to buy their over priced produce when I can go to a local wholesale distributor and buy good quaity produce for half the price.

Seriously though, Mons@nto scares the crepe out of me. Particularly their Franken-soy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:42 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Let's all get Roundup Ready™.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:34 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

it's not that I'm opposed to the idea of genetic engineering.. science always sounds cool.. but it tends ot just be used to spray more pesticides instead of actually maintaining the drops.. which brings down prices and health.. Also we have a lot of forked up laws related to genetic engineered crops and ownership from what I've read.

but I'm not surprised I never liked wholefoods. fuckum go to a local market

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Genetic engineering could be used for great good, but right now it's being used for great evil. Monsanto is the biggest reason why the evil is happening so without them perhaps some good could happen (why on earth are they so evil?! How do they get away with it!?)

Whole foods would have only sold me out if I shopped there. Contact your health food stores and let them know your situation (buying from a place you hate because they've got what you want),.. it might work...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Chiatroll wrote:
it's not that I'm opposed to the idea of genetic engineering.. science always sounds cool.. but it tends ot just be used to spray more pesticides instead of actually maintaining the drops.. which brings down prices and health.. Also we have a lot of forked up laws related to genetic engineered crops and ownership from what I've read.

pesticides also seriously degrade soil and monsanto pushes farmers to plant the same crops over and over instead of doing crop rotation, planting cover crops and using natural sources or fertilizers and pest control.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:50 pm 
Nailed to the V

Monsanto's whole idea was to turn farming into big business by creating patentable crops, and forbidding farmers from collecting their own seeds. Forget creating crops that will grow drenched in RoundUp..

The whole idea is really evil.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:57 pm 
Chard Martyr

wait, i'm confused. their blog says they aren't ok with it and that letter says they are. maybe i didn't read closely enough, but what is going on?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:01 pm 
Chard Martyr

oh wait, is that what you meant by "you decide?"

i don't really know how i'm supposed to decide something by just choosing one website to believe over another.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:01 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

The organic consumer's post is confusing, deliberately takes quotes from the WF email out of context, doesn't cites sources for much of what it says, and overuses scare quotes. It is not a reliable source.

The USDA (after lots of court battles and scientific studies) is trying to decide between removing some of the restrictions on how and where farmers can plant GMO alfalfa and removing all of the restrictions. Whole Foods (according to their email) wants the USDA to retain as many of the restrictions as possible so that organic alfalfa can remain uncontaminated and to protect the rights of organic farmers. Organic Consumers Association wants to get rid of all GMO crops.

Other than asking WF to change their labeling practices (which is a different issue), the Organic Consumers Association doesn't say what stance they wish Whole Foods would take instead.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:04 pm 
Chard Martyr

Thanks MJ, so it wasn't just me. that post is confusing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:33 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

update, Vilsack went for no restrictions at all on GMO.

from what I understand, people are upset because Whole Foods was advocating a compromise (partial regulation) versus no regulation whatsoever (what the USDA just announced today).

Actually saying "no" to GMO Alfalfa was apparently never under consideration by the USDA, though many thought it should be (including myself). Therefore the Whole Foods sell out line of thinking. Stoneyfield Farm apparently was cool with it too. Which basically means the corps saying we're ok with the idea that our organic products won't really be organic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:42 am 
Smuggling Raisins

littlebear wrote:
Chiatroll wrote:

pesticides also seriously degrade soil and monsanto pushes farmers to plant the same crops over and over instead of doing crop rotation, planting cover crops and using natural sources or fertilizers and pest control.

I think I said it wrong. I'm against pesticides. so I'm against the kind of genetic engineering we do.. but it sounds like it could do cool stuff. it's just in the wrong hands.

So I dislike saying I'm against genetic engineering because I think it has potentials to do a lot. What I'm against is using it so we can spray more poison. I'm also against the way the laws around it work.

It just feels like they have all this cool science and we waste it forking ourselves over instead of using it to make a better world. I don't want to blame the science. I want to blame the companies like Monsanto.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:47 am 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Wait, we were supposed to trust Whole Foods to begin with?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:49 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Adah wrote:
Wait, we were supposed to trust Whole Foods to begin with?

I never did.

but I won't question that they have more legal pull then the local healthfood stores and co-ops of austin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:18 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Stonyfield's response:

http://www.stonyfield.com/blog/2011/01/ ... opponents/

And Cornucopia Institute's analysis of the situation, which seems the least biased and most nuanced to me.

http://www.cornucopia.org/2011/02/oca-a ... -the-usda/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:53 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Chiatroll wrote:

So I dislike saying I'm against genetic engineering because I think it has potentials to do a lot. What I'm against is using it so we can spray more poison. I'm also against the way the laws around it work.

It just feels like they have all this cool science and we waste it forking ourselves over instead of using it to make a better world. I don't want to blame the science. I want to blame the companies like Monsanto.

I'm the same way. Roundup ready, no, actually MAKING that golden rice that they use as propaganda so that we feel GMOs are good and dandy so little kids in 3rd world countries don't go blind? Sure, if you actually do that. But they hardly do.

(though, I've actually sprayed chemicals for a living, we used them very judiciously, because we didn't want to create motherfreaking super weeds, which they are not worried about)

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]