PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/27/pennsylvania.segregation/index.html

What year do they think it is, 1952?

Post subject: Re: Pennsylvania High School Experiments with Segregation
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Quote:
But while McCaskey East students are "segregated" for six minutes each day and 20 minutes twice a month, some say other school systems in the country appear to be reverting to real segregation.

Last month, the NAACP held a three-day education summit in Raleigh, North Carolina, where the Wake County School Board, bolstered by the election of four new conservative members last year, ended the school system's 10-year-old diversity policy that used the number of students receiving free or reduced-price lunches to assign students to schools.

They plan to replace the policy with a "neighborhood schools system" that critics say will establish real segregation.

I don't have an issue with having minority students meet in a classroom for 6 minutes a day and 20 minutes twice a month, provided the rest of their classes are fully integrated and they're in a good school with adequate resources. I can see how minority mentoring could be beneficial and I think its useful to provide a strong mentor that minority students can relate to and come to if they have issues. Honestly schools are failing some minority populations. In NYC schools, the graduation rate of black males is 28 percent, which is probably related to the fact that 50 percent of black males in New York City are unemployed. And on top of that the rate of incarceration among young black men without high school diplomas is 35%. http://www.villagevoice.com/2011-01-19/ ... schools/2/

If a mentoring program for minority students can fix that, I would be all for it. At least those schools are looking to address some pretty significant issues.

Where I have a bigger problem is where schools are moving towards a neighborhood system, so people go to schools in their neighborhoods, which are funded based on property taxes in the neighborhood. That almost always (as it does here in NJ) results in a school system where a predominantly white upper middleclass town will have top notch teachers, facilities and resources while urban, poor, minority districts have less of a tax base and worse facilities, teachers and resources. The difference between going to high school in Westfield and Newark, Paterson or Camden is night and day.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:32 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm with tofulish on this one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:25 am 
Nailed to the V

lutin wrote:

yup.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:30 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Granted it is not full segregation at all and isn't intended to become actual segregation, but it's a seed planted...a very bad seed. Or maybe they should just call it something other than "segregation"? That's such a loaded word. I'm all for mentoring and whatnot, but the word "segregation" is dangerous to use when it comes to race (and gender, language, etc).

And honestly, I don't see how 6 mins a day could even be effective.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:09 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Lachesis wrote:
Granted it is not full segregation at all and isn't intended to become actual segregation, but it's a seed planted...a very bad seed. Or maybe they should just call it something other than "segregation"? That's such a loaded word. I'm all for mentoring and whatnot, but the word "segregation" is dangerous to use when it comes to race (and gender, language, etc).

And honestly, I don't see how 6 mins a day could even be effective.

I don't think the school is calling it segregation, I think the media is to make it a shocking story.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:14 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I feel like denying something that might help solve some real problems because it might potentially turn into something that we all recognise is bad. If we all recognise that segregation is bad, we can actually weigh in if or when the program were to start showing real signs of segregation (removal of choice, poorer options for subjected groups etc.)

The problems that this program is trying to solve are real.

When I read this article I didn't really feel like this was very strange. But I remember getting out of a class to go to study First Nations history and culture with other kids of ancestry (though the program now that I think about it wasn't great, the idea was similar.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:23 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Tofulish nailed what I was thinking.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:34 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

This was no big deal and it was blown way out of proportion by my local media.

Having a mentor progam for kids who are struggling?!? How can that be bad?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:39 am 
Level 7 Vegan

If you read the comments, a lot of people are screaming that no matter what, things need to be 100% equal and without pointing differences. This reminds me of people who are "color blind", walking around saying "we are ALL equal...why do you have to keep pointing out our differences?!" It's failing to recognize the way the real world works, to recognize the differences between cultures and ethnicities, and even genders. Not recognizing those things is dangerous and helps no one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Mmmm. Equality based on 'eliminating' difference... Sounds deliciously impractical and unrealistic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:51 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

lutin wrote:

I'm with Tofulish on every one. "I'm with tofulish on this one" could be the new +1 yummy or a great t-shirt.