| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Breaking News: Ayn Rand awful
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:17 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I don't know. I used to think her books were really awesome when I was little; I think it was the same fondness for Russian influence that later drew me to much better writers like Dostoevsky, Gogol, and Bulgakov.. so it worked out in the end!

But I've always thought one of the most fascinating things about her is how messy her actual life was. The whole romantic quadrilateral with her protege, her husband and his wife be damned.. and this.. In some ways, it is exactly what she wouldn't want: for her flaws to have made her human. Beautiful, really. Reminds me a bit of Tolstoy, who was a giant hypocrite of the first order. (preached vegetarianism, loved to eat meat... preached celibacy, half the serfs on his estate looked suspiciously like him... and his relationship with his wife!)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:49 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Personally I think she's more interesting for the influence she's had on American culture (well, almost solely for that, really). That her personal life was messy is sort of a given; just about everyone's is.

PS I thought this post by Patia Stephens was interesting:

http://www.patiastephens.com/2010/12/05 ... y-medicare

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:21 am 
Flounceiad 2011

FootFace wrote:
Mouth-words!

I know! I am so incorporating this phrase into my vocabulary!
just mumbles wrote:
Of course it's hypocritical of her. Social Security isn't a bank account. It's not a retirement account. It's a benefit paid for by future beneficiaries--she was living on the back of a thousand Atlases.

Personally, I think she's a horrible writer even if you divorce her sociopathic ethical outlook from her prose. She wrote stroke books for disaffected adolescents, and that's the best thing you can say about her.

This. Her loathsome worldview would be reason enough to despise her, but the lousiness of her writing is just unforgivable.