| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:58 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:53 pm
Posts: 1564
I hate to start a conversation without videos to back it up, but I'm having a really hard time finding videos on youtube. I just saw a video that's the worst of all the ones I've seen for the army/military so far. An Indian family, where the father asks the mother (who is cooking...surprise!) if she listened to their son's ideas on joining the military. And after she tells him she's listened and she's gone from opposed to "open minded", he tells her "I'm proud. I'm proud of BOTH of you". Or something along those lines.

It's always this way with the military commercials. The mothers who are resistant and feeble and holding things back...and the fathers who are all-knowing and proud and cautiously strong.

Can someone produce the commercials? There's tons of variations on this commercial...but they're all the same. I swear, I'm having a hard time finding them and I want to believe it's the wine that's causing the difficulty.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:01 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:24 pm
Posts: 390
Location: Vancouver
Hilarious!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:05 am 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 2134
Location: 510
I think that's supposed to be her father, so it's patriarchal in the literal sense. Not that military commercial aren't usually douchy, that's just not the tone I got from this commercial.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:03 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5195
Location: Gallifrey
After searching for what seemed like forever I found part of one:


I know what you're talking about though and it's the same thing I think everytime I see them.

"Hey dad, I want to join the military. I get money for college and get to grow and be a strong leader. I can be part of something bigger than myself."
"Like father like son. I'm so proud of you! Have you told your mother yet?"
"Mum is worried. Hahaha!"
"Oh what does she know? She's just a woman!"

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:04 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5195
Location: Gallifrey
There is one with a young women wanting to join the military though. I almost never see it though.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:57 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 2910
All military commercials make me want to barf, honestly. I feel ignored as a woman in the military, they lie about what jobs 99% of people do (hint: pretty much no one jumps out of planes loaded up with top secret equipment), and they are so goddamn cheesy.

_________________
Mal: We're still flying.
Simon: That's not much.
Mal: It's enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:08 pm 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3696
Location: Bella Napoli
I used to always get annoyed by the ones I'd see aimed at mothers of adult servicemembers, in magazines like Martha Stewart Living... I'm having a heck of a time finding an example online--I think it was navyformoms.com--but they're very infantilizing towards service people. I know it's kind of petty, but I feel like my husband has a life of his own now - it's not his mommy who's going to decide whether he signs a new contract or resigns his commission, and as his partner of over a decade with a baby on the way, if something happened to him it's not his mother's life that would be the most affected.

So it's not paternalistic, but I don't like the "see, mother micromanaging her adult son's career, the military is a good option!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:35 pm 
Offline
Just posting opinions on the internet

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:21 pm
Posts: 67
Location: Other World Kingdom/Brooklyn
I kind of wish they just reintroduced the draft instead of this shiitake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:38 pm 
Offline
A Bad Person
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 3015
Location: Soy City
Katiecarlos wrote:
I kind of wish they just reintroduced the draft instead of this shiitake.

What? Which problem would this solve?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:47 pm 
Offline
Just posting opinions on the internet

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:21 pm
Posts: 67
Location: Other World Kingdom/Brooklyn
brian wrote:
Katiecarlos wrote:
I kind of wish they just reintroduced the draft instead of this shiitake.

What? Which problem would this solve?


Less patronizing ads, harden up america's youth a little bit, and I would prob have gotten out of it through my dad's lawyer or something. Just being honest, would have made my life easier.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:54 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5195
Location: Gallifrey
Katiecarlos wrote:
brian wrote:
Katiecarlos wrote:
I kind of wish they just reintroduced the draft instead of this shiitake.

What? Which problem would this solve?


Less patronizing ads, harden up america's youth a little bit, and I would prob have gotten out of it through my dad's lawyer or something. Just being honest, would have made my life easier.

What???

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:56 pm 
Offline
Just posting opinions on the internet

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:21 pm
Posts: 67
Location: Other World Kingdom/Brooklyn
Let a girl be honest, I want a good life for me and the people I care about. I do not think the youth of america would be adversely affected by a couple of years eating sand and handling firearms.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:01 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:53 pm
Posts: 1564
Mr. Shankly wrote:

"Hey dad, I want to join the military. I get money for college and get to grow and be a strong leader. I can be part of something bigger than myself."
"Like father like son. I'm so proud of you! Have you told your mother yet?"
"Mum is worried. Hahaha!"
"Oh what does she know? She's just a woman!"


You pretty much nailed it! They also say lines like "I'm your mother...I'm SUPPOSED to worry/supposed to make you think about things longer". Which makes it seem like she's not acting normally or rationally, she's acting like an overbearing, worried mother. They probably also do this so when children get resistance from their mothers, they can think "oh yeah, they told me to expect this on the commercial! She'll break eventually!"

I've seen A LOT of these ads on A&E but I can't find any of them on the internet, which is kind of suspicious. All I can really find on the topic is this ABC article:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=1071578


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:02 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:53 pm
Posts: 1564
Okay...this is about to go someplace else completely. That's cool...I'm going to stand back...again!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:04 pm 
Offline
A Bad Person
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 3015
Location: Soy City
Katiecarlos wrote:
Let a girl be honest, I want a good life for me and the people I care about. I do not think the youth of america would be adversely affected by a couple of years eating sand and handling firearms.

I fail to see how reinstating the draft ensures a better life for you and the people you care about.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:13 pm 
Offline
Just posting opinions on the internet

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:21 pm
Posts: 67
Location: Other World Kingdom/Brooklyn
brian wrote:
Katiecarlos wrote:
Let a girl be honest, I want a good life for me and the people I care about. I do not think the youth of america would be adversely affected by a couple of years eating sand and handling firearms.

I fail to see how reinstating the draft ensures a better life for you and the people you care about.


lets be clear, I am not going in the military, I don't even want to leave brooklyn to go to Whole Foods let alone go to Afghanistan. If however more phony Americanos got to see the world, improve the size of our defense force, and become slightly less weaksauce I see it as no bad thing.

Maybe we would have less idiots at William Shakespeare's Dildo Liberal Arts College studying Art History as well, we could do with closing down a few colleges and having less educated young people.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:14 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 1464
Oh boy. First of all, William Shakespeare's Dildo Liberal Arts College has a great Art History program. Leave them out of this.

_________________
Like the beleaguered people of sub-Saharan Africa, I'll just go to Denny's. Solidarity!
-mumbles


Last edited by vegimator on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:15 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5195
Location: Gallifrey
Katiecarlos wrote:
brian wrote:
Katiecarlos wrote:
Let a girl be honest, I want a good life for me and the people I care about. I do not think the youth of america would be adversely affected by a couple of years eating sand and handling firearms.

I fail to see how reinstating the draft ensures a better life for you and the people you care about.


lets be clear, I am not going in the military, I don't even want to leave brooklyn to go to Whole Foods let alone go to Afghanistan. If however more phony Americanos got to see the world, improve the size of our defense force, and become slightly less weaksauce I see it as no bad thing.

Maybe we would have less idiots at William Shakespeare's Dildo Liberal Arts College studying Art History as well, we could do with closing down a few colleges and having less educated young people.

You can't be real.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:15 pm 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:03 pm
Posts: 1713
Location: Central PA
What do you mean by "phony Americanos"?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:18 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:53 pm
Posts: 1564
Mr. Shankly wrote:
You can't be real.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:25 pm 
Offline
Just posting opinions on the internet

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:21 pm
Posts: 67
Location: Other World Kingdom/Brooklyn
I am very real. I just have a different (and quite possibly offensive) world view.

Re: Phony Americanos, see outside your window.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:29 pm 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:03 pm
Posts: 1713
Location: Central PA
Outside my window is snow.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:40 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:39 pm
Posts: 564
Location: Joplin, Missouri
I prefer faux-americano. Hell, I'd even respond to quasi-americano.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:44 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 1066
Is it too early to get popcorn??


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Patriarchal Military Commercials
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:51 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7805
Location: Seattle
Oh good, because last night's two trolls weren't nearly enough.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer