| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rape Labelling and Abortion
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:46 pm 
WELFARIST!

http://tigerbeatdown.com/2011/01/29/dea ... nt-enough/

Quote:
Rape is only really rape if it involves force. So says the new House Republican majority as it now moves to change abortion law.

Post subject: Re: Rape Labelling and Abortion
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:52 pm 
Chard Martyr

I read it. Then I read parts of it again. I still can't quite wrap my head around it.
Stunned? Is that the word I'm looking for?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:58 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

seriously. forked. up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:17 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Meggs wrote:

i'm going to go with 'flabbergasted' and 'appalled'.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:33 am 
ugh

I have no words.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:45 am 
Semen Strong

I wonder how you enforce this. Do you make women provide evidence that they filed a rape charge, had a rape kit performed (and in some states have paid for their rape kits in full))? Or do you need to wait until the culprit is found, arrested, and convicted, at which point the abortion will be moot?

And how much force is needed? Was woman who was so drunk she couldn't legally consent forced (what if she was drugged/roofied?)? What about the girl who gets driven out to a deserted parking lot and told she has to have sex with the guy - is that confinement force? Is the threat of force enough? Will we go back to the days of the pencil and the donut?

I know this is a question of when a woman deserves abortion funding and not an abortion itself, but frankly restricting access is the biggest hurdle. Even pre-Roe v. Wade rich women were able to get terminations.

The onus on preventing abortion is being put solely on the woman as well. Which plays into the idea that men should be trying to get it in any and everywhere while women aren't allowed to have similar desires. Maybe any man who gets his unmarried partner pregnant should be caned about the buttocks?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

This is why I don't tell anyone about what happened to me because a large majority wouldn't believe I was raped. This crepe just reinforces that belief.

Sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:52 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

I hear ya. People always want to call rape something else to make it less scary. Or if, you're the GOP, to make it so that all rape victims are just whores who are asking for it. fork that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:54 pm 
Inflexitarian

lutin wrote:
Meggs wrote:

i'm going to go with 'flabbergasted' and 'appalled'.

Same here. Disgusting. What fuckwads.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:43 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Someone on my facebook had a post similar to this. I wasn't aware of this movement before then, but I stand by what I wrote on her wall "Terrible attempt to save money." What they want to call victims is a different battle, this all boils down to money, once again though.
idatetattooedguys wrote:
This is why ...
I knew a rape survivor in high school, we were really close friends and she didn't tell me until a year after I met her, and it was very hard for her, even then (3 years post). Unfortunately for her situation, admitting to anyone that this happened when she was 14 didn't occur to her as a good decision, so the guy is still walking around somewhere. If I recall the statistics for falsely reported rape is under %5, I think anyone who doesn't believe a person who says they were raped is highly insensitive and ignorant.

I only wish money didn't have to mix with decisions on morality.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:45 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Wyvern wrote:
Someone on my facebook had a post similar to this. I wasn't aware of this movement before then, but I stand by what I wrote on her wall "Terrible attempt to save money." What they want to call victims is a different battle, this all boils down to money, once again though.
idatetattooedguys wrote:
This is why ...
I knew a rape survivor in high school, we were really close friends and she didn't tell me until a year after I met her, and it was very hard for her, even then (3 years post). Unfortunately for her situation, admitting to anyone that this happened when she was 14 didn't occur to her as a good decision, so the guy is still walking around somewhere. If I recall the statistics for falsely reported rape is under %5, I think anyone who doesn't believe a person who says they were raped is highly insensitive and ignorant.

I only wish money didn't have to mix with decisions on morality.

Two things.

1) I really don't think this is about money at all, actually. It's a way of further stripping abortion rights because the forking GOP is assbackwards and misogynistic.

2) The statistics for false reporting are equal to any other crime, which is about 1%.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:13 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

j-dub wrote:
1) I really don't think this is about money at all, actually. It's a way of further stripping abortion rights because the forking GOP is assbackwards and misogynistic.

Yeah, it's pretty clearly about eroding federal support for reproductive choice, and currying favor with abortion opponents. I mean, how much does the federal government even pay for abortion services for victims of rape in general, let alone those awful women who would accuse a man of rape just because he committed non-consensual sexual assault?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:18 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I would go with disgusted, angry, and angry. Though this move is completely unsurprising, it is still damn disheartening.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

i think it's partly about the money. not about the taxpayer's money, of course, but all the funding and support these representatives receive from anti-choice groups.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:05 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

democracy is broken. a government that tries to enforce this sort of stuff on it's citizens, is definitely broken.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:44 am 
Impressive boner

Someone has just posted the following link on John Boehner's FB page -

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/02/report-republicans-give-up-on-forcible-rape.php

I'm still appalled that anyone could possibly that the proposal was a good enough idea to say out loud.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:20 pm 
ugh

8ball wrote:
Someone has just posted the following link on John Boehner's FB page -

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/02/report-republicans-give-up-on-forcible-rape.php

I'm still appalled that anyone could possibly that the proposal was a good enough idea to say out loud.

There's a response to that: http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011 ... n-bill.php

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

That's been removed apparently, and replaced with this.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011 ... hp?ref=fpb

... so... what's that hospital? You don't want to preform life saving emergency abortions? Well, we won't make you. In fact, don't even get that lady to another hospital who will. Just turn her out and let her find her own abortion. You don't have to worry about taking a life... OH WAIT.

... I don't even LIVE in America and I'm afraid because of all the crazy down there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:27 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

idatetattooedguys wrote:
This is why I don't tell anyone about what happened to me because a large majority wouldn't believe I was raped. This crepe just reinforces that belief.

Sigh.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Apparently, according to them, my situation doesn't count. How forking degrading.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Good read about how the Republicans have us arguing the wrong argument: http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?art ... e_rankings

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:25 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

The rape exception thing is so weird. If you actually think abortion is murder, shouldn't you stick to your guns? I mean, imagine my father raped my mother--am I ok with being killed because of the circumstances of my birth? "Well, abortion in the case of rape or incest is still murder, but it's really popular murder."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:44 pm 
Nailed to the V

I think they want to deny women the right to an abortion, but they don't want to be too dickish about it. Dirty sluts, no abortion. Raped virgins, abortion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:15 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Its all about who the public will defend. Forcing a woman to bear and care for a child she doesn't want should be appalling to all people for any circumstance, but sadly it isn't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:24 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

just mumbles wrote:
The rape exception thing is so weird. If you actually think abortion is murder, shouldn't you stick to your guns? I mean, imagine my father raped my mother--am I ok with being killed because of the circumstances of my birth? "Well, abortion in the case of rape or incest is still murder, but it's really popular murder."

Well, it just goes to show how disingenuous most in the anti-choice camp really are. Yes, forcing women who have been raped to bear their rapist's children is beyond barbaric, but at least it's forking consistent. I appreciate the people who are willing to show how awful and misogynistic they truly are in supporting this kind of legislation.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:55 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I've avoided this thread because what I read on the feminist blogosphere made me so angry and I didn't feel like getting more angry. I'm still angry.