| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bacon, Gateway Food for Vegetarians.....really NPR?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

have you guys seen this?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/01 ... t=1&f=1001

asinine, really.

Post subject: Re: Bacon, Gateway Food for Vegetarians.....really NPR?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:40 pm 
Dead by dawn

Ugh, the Cult of Bacon strikes again. Honestly, I liked bacon just fine when I ate meat. But not once in the 24 years since I gave it up have I had the remotest desire to go back, via any "gateway." The worship of bacon thing just baffles me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:58 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I didn't really like bacon when I did eat meat. No one in my house ever cooked it, and I'd eat it if it were put on my plate at a restaurant, but I'd probably skip it at a buffet. I don't understand why people get so excited about bacon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Well, I'll admit to loving it. My mother in law always makes bacon as a "breakfast appetizer" when we stay at her house - for years during the holidays I was awakened by the smell of it cooking and it was VERY effective at getting us all out of bed. I haven't eaten meat at all for a few years, even before going vegan, so it's not an issue anymore, but I can admit that I remember that smell fondly.

THAT SAID, it is super annoying how everyone in the world acts like it's the best thing in the universe. It's so overplayed. The Betty White of the food world.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:40 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I said it on their Facebook page, I'll say it here: that's the dumbest article I've seen on NPR in a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:42 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I had some really great tempeh bacon at a restaurant, but real bacon...no interest whatsoever!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:07 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

My ex sent this to me; and I really expected more out of NPR. If they're going to make this "argument" they could at least try to make it a well supported one.

The realtor we worked with when we bought our house told us how she was vegetarian for something like four years and then one morning she just randomly picked up a piece of bacon and it was all over for her. I just don't understand how that would happen... on the very very rare occasion I crave something like that I think quite a bit about why I want it, why I know I don't really want it and how to satisfy the craving without killing something.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thoroughly disappointed in NPR over this one.

I don't care how many meat eaters tote bacon as the best thing ever, but to postulate that non meat eaters must all see it as a weakness, to suggest how it's somehow hard-wired in is so idiotic. That they cannot understand or value that sure, I think the smell of bacon is great, I appreciate that it's texture is crunchy, the flavor is salty and pleasing to the palate, but this does not translate to my ever wanting to eat it. I have no such desire or craving. All those flavor profiles and textures can be mimicked if you so choose, so why would I ever 'fall' and eat bacon? I wouldn't. I don't.

And those vegetarians who eat it? Who 'fall'? They're not really vegetarians, are they? Not in that moment anyway. Not that I'm judging. I always say, eat what you want, don't eat what you don't. But please, don't go and tout as all powerful a food item that is only rendered by way of cruelty as something I must HAVE to have at some point because you asked some scientists how to make true the thing I'm ridiculously hypothesizing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:55 pm 
WRETCHED

I never liked bacon as a meat eater.

Although, doesn't bacon contain sugar? It would make sense that it would be seductive, just from the sense that it would contain the addictive trio - sugar, fat and salt. "The End of Overeating" is a good book that discusses the trio. French fries also contain the addictive trio.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:09 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

A few people posted this on facebook and I wanted to kill them. Instead I ignored it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

True story: today I walked into Voodoo donuts and I was thinking "holy shiitake what is that GOD AWFUL SMELL. Did a raccoon vomit and then die in here!?" and then a few seconds later the woman behind me was like "mmm that bacon smells so good."

So, no. Not all vegetarians secretly have bacon lust.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:51 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

My friend posted that link on FB and everyone agreed that they could never give up bacon. I can't fathom it, I despised bacon as an omni and my family thought/thinks I'm nuts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:57 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Smelling bacon makes me gag. It is a piggie's stomach, for christ's sake. Disgusting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:37 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mittenmacher wrote:
Smelling bacon makes me gag. It is a piggie's stomach, for christ's sake. Disgusting.

Me too! I think the last time I was in a house with it cooking was an ex boyfriend a long time ago and I wanted to barf.

Now, tempeh bacon on the other hand..yes please! I miss it so much since I gave up soy products a few weeks ago. I can't wait until I can eat it again!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:40 am 
Chip Strong

Yeah, I saw this a few days ago. I'm sick of bullshiitake trend pieces that seem solely written so douchebags will post them on facebook (NPR and NYT are pretty big offenders in this regard)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:00 am 
Nooch of Earl

Lixa wrote:
Yeah, I saw this a few days ago. I'm sick of bullshiitake trend pieces that seem solely written so douchebags will post them on facebook (NPR and NYT are pretty big offenders in this regard)

But don't you see? That NYT reporter knows TWO FRIENDS who did something!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:03 am 
Chip Strong

annak wrote:
Lixa wrote:

But don't you see? That NYT reporter knows TWO FRIENDS who did something!

"A small yet growing number of New Yorkers are having dinner parties in the middle of the street!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:12 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

mittenmacher wrote:

I saw this a few days (or was it weeks ago- time has been blurry lately) mittenmacher pretty much summed up my reaction.

The smell of bacon more than just about any other food-makes me sick.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:23 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I miss spaghettio meatballs sometimes. Not bacon, though, never bacon. Figure THAT out, scientists.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just don't get the whole bacon obsession. I hated bacon as an omni, mostly because I hated the chewy chunks of fat in it (thinking about it still makes me gag). There's not much to miss in that regard...
On the other hand, I love the vegan bacon products! With bacon salt and tempeh bacon why would anyone want to go back to that other stuff?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:19 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Nicole wrote:
I just don't understand how that would happen... on the very very rare occasion I crave something like that I think quite a bit about why I want it, why I know I don't really want it and how to satisfy the craving without killing something.
"

Ditto. Usually when meat starts to look/smell yummy, it's because I've been forgetting to eat enough (err... any) beans/tofu/mock meat/etc. and my body's just telling me that I need to go eat some foods that are heavy on protein. After some gardein or fried tofu, everything is usually much better.

Either way, I'm pretty upset that NPR would even run this piece of garbage, normally they're an excellent news source. I mean really, what committed vegetarian would cave for something so stupid? Maybe I just don't understand the cult of bacon though, because even as an omni, I didn't really care for it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:42 pm 
Chard Martyr

Fee wrote:
I miss spaghettio meatballs sometimes.
Aw, I just had a fond memory. Thanks, Fee! Why can't they make vegan canned spaghetti-o's?

To stay on topic, I'm grossed out by the people who glorify bacon. It's dumb. When I say that, though, I'm judging, and I'm trying my best to do less of that this year. No, I don't miss bacon and didn't love it before. I also didn't love cheese!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:32 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

AshleyUndone wrote:
I just don't get the whole bacon obsession. I hated bacon as an omni, mostly because I hated the chewy chunks of fat in it (thinking about it still makes me gag). There's not much to miss in that regard...
On the other hand, I love the vegan bacon products! With bacon salt and tempeh bacon why would anyone want to go back to that other stuff?

I've never eaten bacon, but your description made me gag.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:05 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Tzippy wrote:
AshleyUndone wrote:

I've never eaten bacon, but your description made me gag.

I'm sorry... you're lucky!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:12 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

It ranks up there with canned tuna for me as pretty much the most foul smelling food ever. To be fair, I can't ever remember eating it, so I have no taste to associate with it. Just that smell that makes me want to vomit.