| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2010 dietary guidelines for Americans
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:59 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-DGACReport.htm

Has anyone else been browsing the new dietary guidelines? (There's no new pyramid/diagram yet.) There is a ton of attention paid to plant-based* diets. Which is amazing since the last guidelines barely admitted that some people don't drink milk. There is a section on adapting the guidelines for plant-based diets and another on non-dairy calcium alternatives. The guidelines state over and over again that plant-based diets are adequate, but that there just haven't been enough studies to say anything beyond that.

From the section on translating and integrating the evidence:

Quote:
1. Reduce the incidence and prevalence of overweight and obesity of the US population by reducing overall calorie intake and increasing physical activity.

2. Shift food intake patterns to a more plant-based diet that emphasizes vegetables, cooked dry beans and peas, fruits, whole grains, nuts, and seeds. In addition, increase the intake of seafood and fat-free and low-fat milk and milk products, and consume only moderate amounts of lean meats, poultry, and eggs.

3. Significantly reduce intake of foods containing added sugars and solid fats because these dietary components contribute excess calories and few, if any, nutrients. In addition, reduce sodium intake and lower intake of refined grains, especially refined grains that are coupled with added sugar, solid fat, and sodium.

4. Meet the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans.

There are also lots of mentions about how few people actually eat according to the guidelines anyway, and some discussion about barriers to healthy eating, including:

Quote:
At present, the food environment--from individual or personal factors to social networks to the physical settings of communities to macro-level sectors of human ecosystems--does not fully support the ability of Americans to achieve dietary targets for food group intakes and may be compromising the health of Americans

*I'm sticking with the term plant-based diets because they often talk about people who get 50% of their protein from plants, vegetarians, and vegans collectively, though they're very clear about the differences between the groups.

Post subject: Re: 2010 dietary guidelines for Americans
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Interesting. My MIL is a RD and a diabetes educator for a large university hospital. For years and years I've been baffled by her inability to wrap her brain around a plant-based diet as a healthy option. It's been mind-boggling that someone who's job it is to help educate people on the healthiest food choices would continually ask me 'but where will you get your protein'?

just recently she came back from a conference where she saw a vegan doctor speak about the benefits of a plant-based diet and couldn't wait to share with me the good news. I may be onto something! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm about halfway through reading "Food Politics," so the wording you pointed out is really interesting. I'm intrigued to go read more..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:52 pm 
Grandfathered In

Quote:
Consume only moderate amounts of lean meats, poultry, and eggs.

This seems like a big deal to me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:51 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We have to read announcements every morning to team members. This is health month, so I had to share "dietary suggestions" with the team, including encouraging them to drink 3 cups of milk daily. No non-dairy substitutes were suggested. I am not happy with myself, but HR wasn't here to partner with beforehand.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:27 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

janejellyroll wrote:
We have to read announcements every morning to team members. This is health month, so I had to share "dietary suggestions" with the team, including encouraging them to drink 3 cups of milk daily. No non-dairy substitutes were suggested. I am not happy with myself, but HR wasn't here to partner with beforehand.

is that from the new dietary guidelines? that three cups of milk thing is also from the 2424 milk campaign to drink 24 ounces every 24 hours supposedly for weightloss, but that's pretty much been debunked.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:14 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

That was another thing I was pleased to see. The new guidelines say there is strong evidence that drinking milk doesn't help with weightloss.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:22 am 

mollyjade wrote:
That was another thing I was pleased to see. The new guidelines say there is strong evidence that drinking milk doesn't help with weightloss.

cool1 i just read a bunch of studies about milk and weightloss for school and it turns out all the studies that were done were just saying that milk might help weightloss if you're already doing a calorie restricted diet and even then it didn't help enough to be statistically significant.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:39 am 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
janejellyroll wrote:

is that from the new dietary guidelines? that three cups of milk thing is also from the 2424 milk campaign to drink 24 ounces every 24 hours supposedly for weightloss, but that's pretty much been debunked.

No -- it's the old food pyramid. I was piggybacking my complaint on this thread . . . without making it clear what I was talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:53 am 

oh okay! well now you can tell them that according to the new dietary guidelines that's not recommended anymore!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:45 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
oh okay! well now you can tell them that according to the new dietary guidelines that's not recommended anymore!

I actually did bring it up later in the day and they told me they would follow up with corporate and apologized to me for having to read something to the team that made me feel uncomfortable ethically (I didn't even ask for an apology -- they volunteered that!).