| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [Massachusetts] let's let taxpayers opt out on abortion?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:32 am 
ugh

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/polit ... id=1313696

Quote:
BOSTON — A Massachusetts anti-abortion group proposed legislation today that would allow individual taxpayers to opt out of paying for publicly-funded abortions in the state.

Under the measure, taxpayers could choose to have whatever portion of their state taxes pays for abortions or abortion counseling for low-income women directed instead to a public information campaign for the Baby Safe Haven Law, which allows parents to drop off unwanted newborns at police or fire stations and hospitals.

Massachusetts Citizens for Life President Anne Fox said the bill would give residents who oppose abortion a way of exercising their conscience. She said the group was still working out details of how such a law might be implemented.

Andrea Miller, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts, said she had not seen the legislation but argued that tax dollars routinely go toward many things that an individual might not agree with.

"You don’t have an opportunity to opt out of a whole host of things that you might oppose," said Miller.

The bill was one of several filed for the 2011-2012 legislative session by MCLF, which is encouraged by gains in the state House of Representatives. Republicans picked up 15 seats in the last election and with one race still in dispute now have 31 members in the 160-member body.

"We have gained a a lot of ground in the House," said Fox. She conceded, however, that similar gains were not made in the Senate and that Gov. Deval Patrick would likely veto any measure that passed the Legislature.

The group’s top legislative priority, Fox said, remains a so-called "right to know" bill that would require a waiting period before an abortion and require doctors to give a woman seeking an abortion detailed information about the development of her fetus while also providing the option of viewing an ultrasound.

The measure has been introduced before but never made it out of committee, Fox said. She is hoping it will at least make it to the floor for a vote in the current session.

Miller, who said the Legislature remains solidly pro-choice, said the bill is intrusive and insensitive, and also unnecessary because Massachusetts already has an informed consent law.

NARAL Pro-Choice has filed its own package of bills for the new legislative session, including one that would lower the age of consent for abortions from 18 to 16. Under current law, most minors need consent from at least one parent or a court order before they can obtain an abortion in Massachusetts.

I am SO frustrated with people right now.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

Post subject: Re: [Massachusetts] let's let taxpayers opt out on abortion?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:54 am 
Chip Strong

my list of what i want to opt out of paying for is a mile long. taxpayers who want to discriminate against women can go cry in a corner about it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:55 am 
Semen Strong

I think its brilliant. I want all my tax dollars to pay for medical care for women and families.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:05 am 
rowdily playing checkers

I've already opted out of paying for everything except publicly-funded abortion. Since all such funding greatly exceeds my tax liabilities, I can do this in the only place where it matters: my imaaaaaaaagination.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:34 am 
Nooch of Earl

I keep checking the mailbox for my war refund, and yet it's never there...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i hate people. and i am seriously considering becoming an abortion doctor. you know what? i think it's time to start a $20 abortion revolution.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:14 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Oh I like it. I'll make my list of things I want to opt out of funding right now!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:33 am 
Married to the wolfman

mooo wrote:
my list of what i want to opt out of paying for is a mile long. taxpayers who want to discriminate against women can go cry in a corner about it.

Yeah, no kidding.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:39 am 
Semen Strong

smoothie wrote:
i hate people. and i am seriously considering becoming an abortion doctor. you know what? i think it's time to start a $20 abortion revolution.

That should be easy if you can get people RU486, and get NPs to monitor instead of MDs...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
smoothie wrote:

That should be easy if you can get people RU486, and get NPs to monitor instead of MDs...

i have no idea what you're saying! please explain!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:47 pm 
Semen Strong

If you can use a chemical termination (mifeprestone (with prostaglandins for added efficacy), under the supervision of a nurse practitioner (who diagnoses that you are pregnant, and is available for questions), the two pills plus nurse time wouldn't be very expensive at all. Mifeprestone is a progesterone receptor antagonist which basically interferes with your body producing progesterone (which is the hormone that maintains a pregnancy). It can be used as an abortifacient in the first two months of pregnancy, and in smaller doses as an emergency contraceptive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mifepristone

And there are suggestions of using mifeprestone alone to help women in the third world have cheap easy abortions - 1 pill and your done. Having the prostaglandins raises the efficacity, but also adds cost and time (you have to take prostaglandins first and then take mifeprestone a few days later). For women who can't get to a clinic twice, it could be a godsend.

Also being able to pass your pregnancy like a period, rather than having a surgical abortion needing anaesthesia, trained providers etc, means less expense and less stress for the woman, especially in countries (like the US) where it is hard to find an abortion provider.

I definitely need to follow Strawberryrock's example and do more to keep abortion safe and legal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:17 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Tofulish wrote:
Also being able to pass your pregnancy like a period, rather than having a surgical abortion needing anaesthesia, trained providers etc, means less expense and less stress for the woman, especially in countries (like the US) where it is hard to find an abortion provider.

It's also much safer for women with a abusive/controlling partner who wants her to carry the pregnancy to term.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i just really want everyone in the world to have access to free and safe abortions. it shouldn't be this hard. fork.