| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Confused about the law and polygamy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:24 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I also know someone who said that part of the reason she and her boyfriend got married was that no one in their very conservative "family values" town would rent an apartment to a couple that was living in sin, but I doubt that that's legal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

strawberryrock wrote:
It's so ridiculous that the nature of a relationship has anything to do with insurance coverage. If I had a job that offered health insurance (I do not) why should it be fraud to use that to also get insurance for my roommate? Or my best friend? Or my mom? Why is it the insurance company's business whether I am having sex with the person or however you measure what "partner" means? Basically it is ludicrous for health insurance to be related to employment at all.

Yeah, I so agree with this. Why do I need to be in a romantic relationship with someone to share my benefits? It's not like it's free anyway. It's another example of a single-person tax. Tax isn't the right word, but it's another example of a single person or someone in a non-traditional relationship missing out on advantages others enjoy just because they're not coupled.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:29 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

couroupita wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:
It's so ridiculous that the nature of a relationship has anything to do with insurance coverage. If I had a job that offered health insurance (I do not) why should it be fraud to use that to also get insurance for my roommate? Or my best friend? Or my mom? Why is it the insurance company's business whether I am having sex with the person or however you measure what "partner" means? Basically it is ludicrous for health insurance to be related to employment at all.

Yeah, I so agree with this. Why do I need to be in a romantic relationship with someone to share my benefits? It's not like it's free anyway. It's another example of a single-person tax. Tax isn't the right word, but it's another example of a single person or someone in a non-traditional relationship missing out on advantages others enjoy just because they're not coupled.

+1 yummy to each of you!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:43 am 
WRETCHED

I was reading something that said the law requires spousal benefits, I'm sure some companies would only offer employees insurance if they could.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:52 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

lavawitch wrote:
graffitipassion wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Some states (Utah) consider cohabiting with multiple partners polygamy even if there is only one actual marriage. I believe this is also the case in states that recognize common law marriages.

But if this is the case, it irritates me highly. Someone can have a second wife/husband (without a marriage certificate) living a mile away, and that's okay. Because people would just think "oh, it's a mistress..". But if that person moves IN (still without the certificate)...it becomes illegal? Just seems so, so stupid.

This is the case in Utah. This is why most polygamists have separate trailers or houses on the same property: to skirt the law.

Not that I'm an expert on this or anything. Chalk it up to morbid curiosity.

would that make multiple nonsexual no relationship roommates of mixed sexes possibly illegal in utah?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:55 pm 
***LIES!!!***

So it looks like the cohabitation piece of Utah's polygamy law (the part that makes it illegal for polygamist families to live together even when only claiming one legal marriage) was struck down.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56894 ... g.html.csp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:40 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I heard about this on NPR and for some bizarre reason I have been watching Sister Wives recently, so I was kind of interested in this news. I am all for decriminalizing sodomy (which is the precedent that this ruling was based on) and not privileging legal marriage for health insurance and other purposes (I am not legally married to my partner, who is the father of my child, because we personally think marriage is sexist and unnecessary), but I am totally disgusted by the Browns and their homophobic fundamentalist crepe. I want to vomit whenever Kody talks about how they are the victims of prejudice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:17 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

mooo wrote:
I heard about this on NPR and for some bizarre reason I have been watching Sister Wives recently, so I was kind of interested in this news. I am all for decriminalizing sodomy (which is the precedent that this ruling was based on) and not privileging legal marriage for health insurance and other purposes (I am not legally married to my partner, who is the father of my child, because we personally think marriage is sexist and unnecessary), but I am totally disgusted by the Browns and their homophobic fundamentalist crepe. I want to vomit whenever Kody talks about how they are the victims of prejudice.

I've been watching it too! I'm confused though about the homophobic part. In the third season, they were saying that they're for gay marriage and have no problem with gay people and that they can relate to them (discrimination-wise). This conversation came about when they were out to dinner with a gay man (he announced he was gay after they said all that stuff) and he was voicing his fears about what he thought their opinion of him would be. They were actually hurt that he would think that they wouldn't like him, and Robyn made a comment during the sit-down interview that it would have been un-Christian not to be accepting of someone because of that. I was so happy to hear that! They ended up being so much more progressive and down to earth than I was expecting. That might be why I don't feel too guilty watching the show!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

graffiti wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Some states (Utah) consider cohabiting with multiple partners polygamy even if there is only one actual marriage. I believe this is also the case in states that recognize common law marriages.

But if this is the case, it irritates me highly. Someone can have a second wife/husband (without a marriage certificate) living a mile away, and that's okay. Because people would just think "oh, it's a mistress..". But if that person moves IN (still without the certificate)...it becomes illegal? Just seems so, so stupid.

I believe that adultery is still a misdemeanor in Utah, so technically... Rarely enforced though. There was a spate of teens getting charged with fornication a few years ago, though, if my day time talk show memories serve me right.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:53 pm 

bastah wrote:
mooo wrote:

I've been watching it too! I'm confused though about the homophobic part. In the third season, they were saying that they're for gay marriage and have no problem with gay people and that they can relate to them (discrimination-wise). This conversation came about when they were out to dinner with a gay man (he announced he was gay after they said all that stuff) and he was voicing his fears about what he thought their opinion of him would be. They were actually hurt that he would think that they wouldn't like him, and Robyn made a comment during the sit-down interview that it would have been un-Christian not to be accepting of someone because of that. I was so happy to hear that! They ended up being so much more progressive and down to earth than I was expecting. That might be why I don't feel too guilty watching the show!

Sorry to hijack this thread a little bit, but I also did find this interview where they say that they're for gay marriage and they talk about having gay friends. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/17/sister-wives-gay-marriage_n_3610673.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:31 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

bastah wrote:
bastah wrote:
mooo wrote:

Sorry to hijack this thread a little bit, but I also did find this interview where they say that they're for gay marriage and they talk about having gay friends. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/17/sister-wives-gay-marriage_n_3610673.html

Yeah, they are surprisingly more progressive than I thought and felt a little bad for my earlier judginess!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:02 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Honestly I've only watched a few episodes, but in one of the early ones the wives talk about how people always want to know if they have sex with each other, and they say ewwwww, no, that's disgusting! The women only have sex with the dude!

I have spent a lot of time with Mormons lately (not the polygamist fundamentalist type, but I don't believe they're as different as they say they are), and I just have a general impression that they have some kind of commandment to act nice. I'm skeptical that they are usually as nonjudgmental as they say they are. What I saw on sister wives showed me that they think gay sex is disgusting, even if they are willing to "tolerate" it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:00 am 
WRETCHED

I've only seen 1 season of sister wives? I don't really have any opinion one way or another towards them.

I could put myself in their shoes though about being asked that and there are two things that come into play, one being that it could be almost like asking if you have sex with your brother and I'd think that most women would say "eww no". The other part of it is that it is just a gut reaction because that isn't how you think about sex for you. Like if someone asked me about sex with women, especially if they asked me when I was younger, I might've said "eww no". That isn't to say that I don't think women are sexually attractive or that I think homosexuality is wrong, it is just not for me and the idea of me being with another woman is a no.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:25 am 

Yeah, I agree. I think it's more that they see each other as sisters (siblings). And they have said over and over again every season that everyone thinks polygamy is about sex and that they want people to know that it has nothing to do with sex. They have the same reaction when they're talking about hetero sex with Cody, and they won't answer any questions about it and they all get disgusted that people would ask.

In the 4th season, they mention that since they have 17 kids, then at least one or two of them are most likely gay. One even asked Janelle what she would do if she came out as a lesbian. Her response was "You're not allowed to have boys in your room, so then you wouldn't be allowed to have your girlfriend in your room. You BETTER bring her home to meet the family." I love that they don't see homosexuality as a choice and that they couldn't care less if their kids are gay.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:51 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Yeah, they just wanted a gay kid to wait til marriage just like any other kid would have to wait!

They were mostly worried about any sort of bigotry their child would face.