| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ten Commandments in public schools in Giles County
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:48 pm 
Inflexitarian

http://www.pressherald.com/life/commandments-fuel-school-battle_2011-02-19.html?pageType=mobile&id=5

You know what, I have no issue if the majority of the students there are religious and decide to plaster their binders, their lockers, whatever with the ten commandments, Jesus, whatever. Students who are other religions should feel comfortable to do the same, and I'm betting they aren't in a school that calls an anonymous complaint a coward. Uh, yea, I'd be afraid to publicly say it in a town like that too..(and this is a response to Colombine? I'm confused..how does promoting religious oppression and making outcasts of non-Christians prevent school violence?) And the Bible bus..is plain disturbing. Leaving in the middle of the day to receive religious education? No.

The whole thing makes me think of this:

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

Post subject: Re: Ten Commandments in public schools in Giles County
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:02 pm 
Naked Under Apron

A lot of school districts have religious release time like that. It's been ruled constitutional as long as the religious instruction takes place off school grounds. New York City allows it, but I'm not sure how many kids actually participate.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:56 pm 
Grandfathered In

See, people commit murder because no one told them they shouldn't. Post the Ten Commandmenrs and poof! Problem solved.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:00 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Also, none of those kids are coveting their neighbors' wives. Poof!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Which version of the Ten Commandments? (there are subtle differences, you know.) Also, the best research on Columbine suggests that one of the boys was a sociopath and the other was a violent depressive. No version of the Ten Commandments covers that.

I notice that you never see the Jews asking to have all 613 laws posted all over the place. What's up with that?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:57 pm 
Inflexitarian

I'm not entirely sure Vantine about which version. And actually, you'd think this kind of mentality would make mentally unstable kids worse off..promoting a mob mentality that will bully outcasts; drives already unstable people over the edge.

Oh and <3 the poof comments.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Larisa wrote:
A lot of school districts have religious release time like that. It's been ruled constitutional as long as the religious instruction takes place off school grounds. New York City allows it, but I'm not sure how many kids actually participate.

But if the school is committing time and resources toward organizing a bus for the students, then it's an issue, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:33 pm 
Naked Under Apron

hoveringdog wrote:
Larisa wrote:

But if the school is committing time and resources toward organizing a bus for the students, then it's an issue, isn't it?

From the article, it looked like the bus was organized privately, not by the district.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Larisa wrote:
hoveringdog wrote:
Larisa wrote:

From the article, it looked like the bus was organized privately, not by the district.

"The district also runs a so-called 'Bible Bus' so that students can get privately organized Christian instruction off site during the middle of the school day."

Unless the article got it wrong, it sounds like the district runs it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:49 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Later in the article, "After the Supreme Court ruled that prayer in school was unconstitutional, the district introduced its weekly Bible Bus, which facilitates religious classes for most of the county's elementary school students. That initiative is legal, according to local officials, because it's voluntary, and the bus is privately owned and operated."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Larisa wrote:
Later in the article, "After the Supreme Court ruled that prayer in school was unconstitutional, the district introduced its weekly Bible Bus, which facilitates religious classes for most of the county's elementary school students. That initiative is legal, according to local officials, because it's voluntary, and the bus is privately owned and operated."

Huh, maybe I should have read the whole thing. Still, I'd be curious in what sense the district "runs it," because the article then seems to contradict itself.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Vantine wrote:
Which version of the Ten Commandments? (there are subtle differences, you know.) Also, the best research on Columbine suggests that one of the boys was a sociopath and the other was a violent depressive. No version of the Ten Commandments covers that.

I notice that you never see the Jews asking to have all 613 laws posted all over the place. What's up with that?

Exodus or Deuteronomy? Protestant? Catholic? Jewish?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:53 pm 
Inflexitarian

I should point out I don't hate my state but even in Hampton Roads they're a little odd on the religion in public schools. One of my friends got beaten up and told she was going to Hell because she was a Wiccan, the school never suspended the kids even though her and I both filed a report and she never even hit back. (this wasn't that long ago either, high school)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:11 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

PhoenixKitty wrote:
I should point out I don't hate my state but even in Hampton Roads they're a little odd on the religion in public schools. One of my friends got beaten up and told she was going to Hell because she was a Wiccan, the school never suspended the kids even though her and I both filed a report and she never even hit back. (this wasn't that long ago either, high school)

That's "a little bit odd?"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:49 pm 
Semen Strong

I met a woman who grew up as a Unitarian in Texas, and she said she was constantly teased in school and told she was going to hell for not being a proper Xtian.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:56 pm 
Inflexitarian

I mean I really have no idea Jordan if it's different elsewhere, I've only lived here. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:58 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I grew up in a reasonably progressive place, religious-wise, anyway. I also grew up atheist. I was teased and proselytized to from grade 3 (when I transferred out of the hippie school I attended up to that point) until grade 12. A representative from Young Life, a christian youth ministry, taught part of my health class in grade 11.

I think the idea that it's "not so hot" for kids in our schools who aren't religious is hurtful. Religion, specifically christianity, is taught and perceived as the norm, and in public schools, that's not right.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:11 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I attended a Catholic grade school and when I transferred back to public school at age 9, I was actually teased/bullied about it for a while. As in "Haha! Look who was stupid enough to believe that crepe! Do you believe in Santa Claus too?" (I didn't!) I guess dogma and intolerance suck all around.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:12 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

PhoenixKitty wrote:
I mean I really have no idea Jordan if it's different elsewhere, I've only lived here. Sorry.

No, I meant that I would characterize that kind of behavior as "really bad," not "kind of odd."

And I don't mean to be combative. It's awesome that you stood up for your friend, and it's awful that that happened to her.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:18 pm 
Inflexitarian

I agree, it isn't; school is about learning, and shouldn't be about bullying, whether it's over religion, how you look, your orientation, disability, or any other differences. And I was atheist in high school, briefly went Christian for a few years, and am Buddhist now. I don't believe it's anybody's right to tell me what to believe, and never was. I really didn't know what else to do in school other than go to the resource officer and file a report.

I wish they would actually *act* on their own policies about anti-bullying.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:58 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I mean...I get what they're going for here, but couldn't they use a more secular quote or something? They really need the ten commandments?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:13 am 
rowdily playing checkers

jordanpattern wrote:
I think the idea that it's "not so hot" for kids in our schools who aren't religious is hurtful. Religion, specifically christianity, is taught and perceived as the norm, and in public schools, that's not right.

Yeah. I actually do have a problem with kids plastering their lockers with the ten commandments, Jesus, etc, for more or less this reason.

Constitutional issues aside, secularism has to place obligations upon us as public citizens if it's to be meaningful, and school falls pretty squarely into the realm of public life.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:53 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Why do I even read this shiitake? Religious nonsense gives me a headache...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm okay with Christianity being addressed by schools... if they also address Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Jainism, the way of the Jedi, etc. But that's not gonna happen. So jettison it all, I say!