| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Georgia Legislation bill
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:55 am 
Pumpkinhead's lovechild

The blogpost
Quote:
State Rep. Bobby Franklin of Georgia introduced a bill in his state last week that, if enacted, would require proof that a miscarriage occurred naturally. If a woman can’t prove that her miscarriage–or spontaneous abortion–occurred without intervention, she could face felony charges.

The Bill

Excerpt
Quote:
(26) The act of prenatal murder has caused a significant reduction in the number of citizens in this state who would serve as workers, entrepreneurs, teachers, employees, and employers who would have significantly contributed to the prosperity and continuation of this state

Post subject: Re: Georgia Legislation bill
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:04 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Maarschmellow wrote:
Excerpt
Quote:
(26) The act of prenatal murder has caused a significant reduction in the number of citizens in this state who would serve as workers, entrepreneurs, teachers, employees, and employers who would have significantly contributed to the prosperity and continuation of this state

I remember reading a book on "anticonceptional methods" from the 50s or 60s where there was this argument - that a woman was expected to pop out a child every 2 years from her wedding day to her 50s, and that every child not conceived or not born was a missing citizen/taxpayer that should be accounted for somehow. What an insane way to see it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:29 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Maarschmellow wrote:
The blogpost
Quote:
State Rep. Bobby Franklin of Georgia introduced a bill in his state last week that, if enacted, would require proof that a miscarriage occurred naturally. If a woman can’t prove that her miscarriage–or spontaneous abortion–occurred without intervention, she could face felony charges.

Wow, that's just nuts. Last I heard, abortion was legal?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

RiotSquirrrrrrrel wrote:
Maarschmellow wrote:
The blogpost
Quote:

Wow, that's just nuts. Last I heard, abortion was legal?

Not if this law were to pass. The uterus police business is just a nutty side effect of a bill that would criminalize abortion in the state of Georgia.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:27 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Maarschmellow wrote:
The blogpost
Quote:

The Bill

Excerpt
Quote:

Right, because there are so many of those jobs available.

This is ridiculously infuriating.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:34 am 
WRETCHED

Oh my.

Beyond any issues about abortion, I've known women who have had miscarriages and it can be pretty traumatic, especially if they were trying to conceive. Imagine having to 'defend' a natural occurrence?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:38 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

This is just so sick.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:14 am 

How on earth can you prove that a miscarriage happened naturally?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:12 am 
Chip Strong

they're really stepping it up, aren't they?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:23 am 
rowdily playing checkers

hoveringdog™ wrote:
Not if this law were to pass. The uterus police business is just a nutty side effect of a bill that would criminalize abortion in the state of Georgia.

Even if this law passes. The states can't overturn federal law. State legislatures waste a lot of time pretending they can do anything about things like reproductive rights or corporate personhood.

I, personally, applaud the bill for its consistency. If a fetus baby is a person, every miscarriage is a potential crime scene. Dust for forking fingerprints, man.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:25 am 
Inflexitarian

So forking crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:30 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I feel like I have had this conversation before (Utah last year, I think). Here is the problem I see: I had a miscarriage that may have been due to my being unaware I was pregnant. And theoretically that could mean negligence on my part (it was implied by someone bisque-y). Does that mean I face felony charges? Theoretically, yes. And (pretending we are back in time and this law is in effect) my already there child has a mom in jail for a natural bodily function, she had no control over.
Am I the only person seeing this attack on abortion and reproductive health as attempts to make women second class citizen (or more so, maybe)?

/end slightly incoherent rant.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:41 am 
rowdily playing checkers

To me, it's more like an attack on sanity. It's like the legislative equivalent of a Michael Bay movie.

I can't wait for CSI: Your Uterus.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

Like I said on Facebook, "let him, he'll soon realize that God is the greatest baby killer of them all."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:10 pm 

Would this mean my Diva Cup is a potential crime scene?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:49 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Sorry guys, but stuff like this makes me so. glad. I live in Canada.

I also see this as... well, not an attempt at making women second class citizens, exactly... I don't know, but I think that's the secondary effect of it anyway. Words are apparently not really my friends today. But agreed with linanil, people I have known who were trying to get pregnant and ended up miscarrying were devastated already. What more psychological harm does this dude want to inflict on ladies who are already upset they have lost a baby?

I also loathe how it always seems to be men that want to institute bills that make abortion illegal / create uterus police. You should get no say whatsoever in how a woman deals with her body.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:05 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

A lot of states try to pass abortion laws so they're ready the minute Roe v. Wade is overturned. You gotta be prepared. You don't want to waste valuable time passing laws after the event.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

linanil wrote:
Oh my.

Beyond any issues about abortion, I've known women who have had miscarriages and it can be pretty traumatic, especially if they were trying to conceive. Imagine having to 'defend' a natural occurrence?

We lost my first baby brother to SIDS and my parents say the worst about it were the massive suspicions of infanticide, both from the police and from relatives/"friends". Having to go through interrogations, autopsies etc, really forks up your mourning process.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:22 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'd like to know once and for all what these conservative politicians have been smoking these days, because what they are proposing is getting more ridiculous and forked up all the time. Even doctors can't always explain what caused a miscarriage, and many miscarriages take place so early in the pregnancy that the woman doesn't even know she is pregnant.

And it's pretty ironic to see conservatives who are always whining about the government spending too much money and being too involved in our lives try to get laws like this passed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:06 pm 
Chip Strong

Aelle, my cousin and his wife went through a very similar situation to your parents, and it's all I can think about in relation to this bill. It's horribly insensitive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:21 pm 
Grandfathered In

We need to tell Georgia that The Handmaid's Tale is meant to be a dystopia.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:27 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Maarschmellow wrote:
Excerpt
Quote:

I object to this. My potential child might also be a crasshole.

I have a friend who miscarried at 20 weeks, then at nearly full-term. She has two kids now, but she'll be living a "new normal" for the rest of her life. I can't imagine how devastating this bill could be to women already going through something traumatic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:42 pm 

But what if an aborted fetus would have grown up to be a better Georgia legislator than the crassholes they've got right now? Am I becoming anti-abortion?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:52 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

FootFace wrote:
We need to tell Georgia that The Handmaid's Tale is meant to be a dystopia.

At least in Handmaid's Tale you got three tries before they sent you off to prison camp.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:48 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Yeah, that's pretty terrifying. I remember feeling really angry and scared 20 years ago about all the attempts to circumvent Roe v Wade, and was living in Ohio when they introduced their oh so special "informed consent" law (complete with literature depicting full colored doctored-up photos of 8 week fetuses - that was to be given to every woman seeking abortion services in the state).

This PALES in comparison. The "right" have really outdone themselves this time. I have to say that I'm glad that I'm beyond my child-bearing years at this point, but I am still terrified of what this means to ALL women if this stinker is given any light of day in the GA legislation. I too have more than a few friends who have suffered miscarriages, and it is NO picnic in the park.
What the hell is WRONG with these people? I've met some Christian nutjobs in my day, but most of them would say that miscarriage is "God's will" and that the parents should "just adopt". This is just insane.