| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feminism in 60's-80s or HELP!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:40 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I'm sure you're wondering why this thread has such an odd title. Let me explain myself.
I have a huge project for my anthropology class-I'm trying to understand how feminism relates to culture. More specificallly, I want to understand how feminism has changed, if at all. My teacher suggested interviewing/surveying people who remember/experienced the feminist movement in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Because I am socially awkward (even writing this was difficult for me), I reacted with terror at the thought of having to interact with people (aside from the fact that I don't really know too many people who could help me with this). So I came here. If you ladies and gents of the ppk would be kind enough to answer a few questions. For details, pm me. I'll be sure to let you know if anything changes.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Feminism in 60's-80s or HELP!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:22 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

also, I might not have all of my questions yet, I'm still getting sorted out. In addition, any comments from anyone about feminism in the 21st century would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:31 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Hey Queen Couscous! Your project sounds interesting. Can you tell me more about the parameters of the assignment? I was not alive or feminist for the time period specified, but I majored in Gender Studies so I studied the "waves" of feminism pretty extensively. If interviewing makes you uncomfortable, perhaps doing a content analysis of academic writing about feminism and culture in that time period would be a possibility for your assignment.

Here's a book that I read excerpts from: http://www.amazon.com/Manifesta-Young-W ... 0374526222
And the director of my Women & Gender Studies program, Jo Reger, wrote this great book called Different Wavelengths: http://www.amazon.com/Different-Wavelen ... 0415948797

My research focuses on 3rd wave feminism, specifically the Riot Grrrrl movement and contemporary feminist zines, so if I can help in any way in that regard, just let me know! If you decide to go the content analysis route, I can give you the works cited page of my research study, which should give you a good start for what to read.

<3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:45 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Thank you dakini! Specifically, my focus was actually going to be third-wave feminism. I wanted to take a look at how feminism has changed in the 21st century. Has the change been good, bad, or indifferent? How has raunch culture impacted the feminist movement? How far have women really come in securing their rights, and how are we possibly backtracking? These are just starter questions that I'm just sort of formulating at the moment, and I'm still a little confused as to how I'm supposed to approach this from an anthropological standpoint.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:03 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Queen Couscous wrote:
Thank you dakini! Specifically, my focus was actually going to be third-wave feminism. I wanted to take a look at how feminism has changed in the 21st century. Has the change been good, bad, or indifferent? How has raunch culture impacted the feminist movement? How far have women really come in securing their rights, and how are we possibly backtracking? These are just starter questions that I'm just sort of formulating at the moment, and I'm still a little confused as to how I'm supposed to approach this from an anthropological standpoint.

Very interesting! And I can understand how that would be challenging. There's a lot of gray area between anthropology and sociology. So it seems like you may need to do a literature review to inform your research question, but then that the actual study would be field work. You mentioned raunch culture, a very interesting point- have you read Ariel Levy's work? http://www.amazon.com/Female-Chauvinist ... 0743249895
Feministing.com drives me crazy with their vegan hate, but it was good resource for me as an undergrad, and when you get your questions finalized, you may consider contributing a community post explaining your study and asking feminists to answer a survey: http://feministing.com/
The anti-feminist movement might be something to mention... not every woman thinks women's rights are a good thing.
I'll probably come back and ramble some more later, but keep us posted, I'd love to hear how this goes and if I can help in any way, let me know! : )

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:05 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I also wasn't alive during in the 60's, but do have some reading suggestions. I took a class specifically about the relationship between second and third wave feminism. The professor wrote this book, Not My Mother's Sister: Generational Conflict and Third Wave Feminism: http://www.amazon.com/Not-Mothers-Sister-Generational-Third-Wave/dp/025321713X and you also might find Sisterhood, Interrupted: From Radical Women to Grrls Gone Wild by Deborah Siegel helpful: http://www.amazon.com/Sisterhood-Interrupted-Radical-Women-Grrls/dp/140398204X. I've also read the Ariel Levy book mentioned earlier, and remember really liking the first couple chapters but eventually getting kind of frustrated and feeling like she was straying from her point/not sure what her point was later in the book. Regardless, it's interesting and seems really pertinent to what you're talking about. You also might consider seeking out memoirs of prominent second-wave feminists, especially if they reflect on how things have changed in feminism and what they think about it. Off the top of my head I can't think of any suggestions, though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Susan Faludi's Backlash was pretty good, it was written in the very early nineties before the rise of the third wave, but it was about how in the eighties there was a rise of conservativeness and a backlash against the second wave of feminism, the book is divided into topics like media representation (film, tv, magazines), fashion, medicine (plastic surgery specifically), politics (Reagan's policies, Operation Rescue, women pushing for returning to the home), and even how some famous feminists recanted, like Betty Friedan, and how others compromised. It was a fantastic read for pre-third wave history!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:39 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Thank you all! I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind. Also, I read Female Chauvinist Pigs a few years ago, and found it to be really interesting and eye-opening. It's where I got the idea to include the whole raunch culture thing. Also, I had thought about asking a bunch of people about their perception of feminism/feminists, because there are so many stereotypes.