| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DOMA is legally indefensible
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:45 pm 
Dead by dawn

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110223/ap_on_re_us/us_gay_marriage

Obviously, this is good, but how good? I mean, what happens now? Lawsuits challenging the DOMA work their way through the courts with no one arguing against them? If the federal DOMA is repealed do states that don't allow same sex marriage have to recognize marriages performed in the states that do (wasn't that kind of the point of the DOMA?)

Obviously I am pretty clueless as to how this all works.

Post subject: Re: DOMA is legally indefensible
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:00 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

States would still be free to ignore same-sex marriages.

It deals with the other part of DOMA that defines marriage at the federal level. The best ultimate outcome is federal recognition of same-sex marriages in states where they're legal. (Thus every federal law that applies to marriage would also apply to those in same-sex marriages like joint tax filing.)

What will happen now is someone (likely the House of Representatives or an individual member) will try to get standing to try to defend the law.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:47 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

What we need is marriage to be federally defined as between consenting adults regardless of race, religion, economic class, biological sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation. We need to disqualify it from being a states' issue - just like since the Civil War, states can't pick and choose on the issue of who qualifies as a free person and who qualifies as a slave. For that matter, we need protection for everybody (race, religion, economic class, biological sex, gender identity, sexual orientation) at a federal level that automatically and always supersedes any shiitake bigots at the state level try to get away with it (such as the mess in Arizona, with white supremacists writing laws against Latinos and Latinas, or even where I am in California, with church groups getting Proposition 8 passed).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:13 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I guess it's pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:55 pm 
Grandfathered In

BFH wrote:
and always supersedes any shiitake bigots at the state level

I'm sick of those s.hitbigots.

Good band, though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:20 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I have nothing to add to this thread, except I kept mis-reading the title as "Dogma" and then it turned out to be something completely different.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:27 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm against the government having anything to do with marriage in general. No matter who wants to get married. Marriage, in the personal commitment way that most people think of it, is between two people, or two people and their community, or two people and god, or three people, or whatever. Marriage should be a social institution for people define for themselves. The key feature is committed, consenting individuals. The government should not be involved. The benefits and responsibilities that come with what we now call marriage should be bunched under a different label (domestic partnership is as good as any), that should be widely available to anyone who wants to set up an integrated household. In my ideal world, marriage is based solely in individuals' commitment to one another, and domestic partnerships are a non-emotional arrangements defining a set of legal rights between individuals. People can have one, the other, or both. As far as I'm concerned, the mere existence of legal marriage is a violation of the well-established, 14th Amendment right to privacy. Okay, I'm done with my rant. Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Veganismbot wrote:
I'm against the government having anything to do with marriage in general. No matter who wants to get married. Marriage, in the personal commitment way that most people think of it, is between two people, or two people and their community, or two people and god, or three people, or whatever. Marriage should be a social institution for people define for themselves. The key feature is committed, consenting individuals. The government should not be involved. The benefits and responsibilities that come with what we now call marriage should be bunched under a different label (domestic partnership is as good as any), that should be widely available to anyone who wants to set up an integrated household. In my ideal world, marriage is based solely in individuals' commitment to one another, and domestic partnerships are a non-emotional arrangements defining a set of legal rights between individuals. People can have one, the other, or both. As far as I'm concerned, the mere existence of legal marriage is a violation of the well-established, 14th Amendment right to privacy. Okay, I'm done with my rant. Thanks for reading.

Except for Mormons trying to marry teenage girls. That shiitake is forked. (But also not related to this. Yay, getting rid of DOMA!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:38 pm 
Semen Strong

Quote:
Tell Congress: Don't defend DOMA. Repeal it!

Since President Obama's announcement, every major right-wing group has demanded that Congress defend DOMA. They're saying Obama's decision will "force homosexual marriage on all 50 States" and is "subverting the constitution." But discrimination isn't part of our constitution! Why can't legally married same-sex couples file their taxes together, access each other's Social Security survivors' benefits, or sponsor one another for immigration? Because of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).

To capitalize on this opportunity, we need to do more than just keep Republican leaders from defending DOMA – we need Congress to get rid of it once and for all.

Bills to repeal DOMA are about to be introduced in Congress, and they need more support.

Sign here Once you click on it a big banner comes up saying "Tell Congress Not to Defend DOMA" Click on that and it takes you to the petition.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:54 pm 
Nailed to the V

maygles wrote:
Veganismbot wrote:

Except for Mormons trying to marry teenage girls. That shiitake is forked. (But also not related to this. Yay, getting rid of DOMA!)

I'm totally with you. Naturally, other laws not related to marriage stay in force. So if your concept of marriage involves statutory rape, child abuse, or false imprisonment, you're still going to prison.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:00 pm 
Semen Strong

I agree with you Vegansimbot. When I was in law school one of my family law professors was proposing a shift in the way we structure receipt of government benefits. Instead of tying them to a male/female partnership, she proposed tying them to a caregiver/caretaker model - so no matter who is caring for whom, they can claim benefits, protections, rights to make legal decisions etc, whether it is an adult child caring for an aging parent, a father caring for children etc.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:25 pm 
Semen Strong

The Onion: http://www.theonion.com/articles/maraud ... -ci,19325/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:23 am 
Nailed to the V

Tofulish wrote:
I agree with you Vegansimbot. When I was in law school one of my family law professors was proposing a shift in the way we structure receipt of government benefits. Instead of tying them to a male/female partnership, she proposed tying them to a caregiver/caretaker model - so no matter who is caring for whom, they can claim benefits, protections, rights to make legal decisions etc, whether it is an adult child caring for an aging parent, a father caring for children etc.

Interesting. I like that. The way so many rules are written right now trying to find which rules apply to which families is kinda like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:17 am 
Inflexitarian

BFH wrote:
What we need is marriage to be federally defined as between consenting adults regardless of race, religion, economic class, biological sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation. We need to disqualify it from being a states' issue - just like since the Civil War, states can't pick and choose on the issue of who qualifies as a free person and who qualifies as a slave. For that matter, we need protection for everybody (race, religion, economic class, biological sex, gender identity, sexual orientation) at a federal level that automatically and always supersedes any shiitake bigots at the state level try to get away with it (such as the mess in Arizona, with white supremacists writing laws against Latinos and Latinas, or even where I am in California, with church groups getting Proposition 8 passed).

Perfectly put.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:54 pm 
Chip Strong

Tofulish, have you read any of Nancy Polikoff's stuff? I have her book, but haven't read it yet. I do read her blog a lot though. Anyway, she talks about legal recognition for different family types, marriage promotion by the state, and how our marriage laws tend to favor specific types of couples, specifically single breadwinner households with higher income levels.
She was also one of the authors of the Beyond Marriage statement.
http://www.beyondmarriage.org/full_statement.html
And here's her blog:
http://beyondstraightandgaymarriage.blogspot.com/