Post subject: All (1926) teachers fired in Providence, RI
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:33 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

http://www.imperfectparent.com/topics/2 ... nt-page-1/

It's Armageddon.

Post subject: Re: All (1926) teachers fired in Providence, RI
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:38 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

What the hell? Is this real? Who does this?

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:39 pm 
Semen Strong

It sounds like its been done before to create leverage for negotiating.

Quote:
In early 2010, a similar action on a smaller scale was taken at a high school in nearby Central Falls, Rhode Island, when all 93 members of its staff were terminated. At the time, U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan said the act took “courage,” and President Obama seemed to semi-endorse the firings in an education speech a week later, but added the caveat that “replacing school staff should only be done as a last resort.”

Superintendent for Providence Public Schools Thomas Brady reported said that the dismissal notices were more of a formality and that he expected “the majority of teachers will be rehired” but could not issue any guarantees until he receives a final report from Taveras’ office on Providence’s financial situation.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:45 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

It's a bit different, that school was failing miserably and the other option was to shut it down (under pressure from the Obama administration).

This is an entire district where the purpose is to eliminate seniority and bust the union. Of course, like Wisconsin they claim it's about the budget.

(Both mass firings were immoral, of course.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:50 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

While I think this is a sneaky, evil way to get what you want (since when did unions become something to be brushed aside?) and while I think it's ridiculous that so many towns are reducing public education spending instead of just raising taxes already, I can't help but think of all the nasty tenured old-boy shitbag teachers I used to work with in the RI dept of education, who would show up for our state-mandated trainings with a book and a carton of cigarettes and say "i'm tenured, i don't have to listen to your stupid presentations". But reform of the tenure system is probably not going to be best done by mass firings. And Providence and Central Falls, which were not exactly bastions to begin with... what about the kids? Classes? Is it spring break already, or will there be class cancellations?

What the hell is happening up there in the US, peeps? Pretty soon it's going to be Mass Hysteria!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

the UK isn't all sunshine and roses, but with all these American politicians going apeshit i'm kind of glad i'm moving.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

There is a political movement, on the upswing right now, that is passionately anti-union. I expect Florida to explode soon when our governor tries something similarly evil. He already thinks that he was elected emperor. (I trust no one who looks like Michael Berryman except Michael Berryman.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This is so sad. Sure, there are teachers that need a serious rewiring and if they refuse they should be asked to go and replaced with teachers willing to be learners.

They're living and teaching in a time when the kids are way, way different. People seriously underestimated the power of technology in education. Kids come to school with tons of knowledge and skepticism (which I think is awesome) and other things that those rigid, tenured teachers aren't used to. They want to walk into a class of empty vessels ready to take everything in. The tenure and professional development programs of most schools in America need to be completely revamped. Firing all teachers isn't going to solve anything.

But seriously, what are even the logistics of something like this? Blows my mind. Makes me sad for those teachers and kids.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:37 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

pickledtreats wrote:
This is so sad. Sure, there are teachers that need a serious rewiring and if they refuse they should be asked to go and replaced with teachers willing to be learners.

They're living and teaching in a time when the kids are way, way different. People seriously underestimated the power of technology in education. Kids come to school with tons of knowledge and skepticism (which I think is awesome) and other things that those rigid, tenured teachers aren't used to. They want to walk into a class of empty vessels ready to take everything in. The tenure and professional development programs of most schools in America need to be completely revamped. Firing all teachers isn't going to solve anything.

But seriously, what are even the logistics of something like this? Blows my mind. Makes me sad for those teachers and kids.

But, of course, this has nothing to do with revamping the education system. It's one more terrifying blow to the middle class and unionized workers. I'm seriously starting to wonder if the right isn't trying to start another civil war. How much longer can this go on until there are riots in the streets?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:50 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

There are rallies in every state today in solidarity with Wisconsin. The Wisconsin workers have been at the state capitol for 13 days now. People are taking to the streets. We just need more people.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:51 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

And more people who aren't necessarily union workers but who give a shiitake about the fact that most of the wealth in this country is controlled by a very small percentage of the super rich.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:58 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

So much insanity going on right now. Bring on the revolution.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:25 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Lachesis wrote:
So much insanity going on right now. Bring on the revolution.

Bring it. I want it. ._.

I find it so irritating the difference between the negotiating tactics with unions for the United States and Canada. In BC, when our teachers went on strike, we didn't bust their union, we changed the category of their work so that they couldn't strike. (We did the same to our nurses, doctors and ambulance drivers. Basically many many many of the jobs are legislated back to work in BC).

I'm not sure which is worse.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

j-dub wrote:
pickledtreats wrote:

But, of course, this has nothing to do with revamping the education system. It's one more terrifying blow to the middle class and unionized workers. I'm seriously starting to wonder if the right isn't trying to start another civil war. How much longer can this go on until there are riots in the streets?

Oh, I agree. This is just a ploy to strip workers of their rights in union states. I just hate that a lot of this is done under the guise of "we're trying to get rid of these teachers that aren't right for our students and get the right ones in!" As if districts have any idea what kids need.