| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Motorist mows down cyclists at Brazil Critial Mass
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:13 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Holy shiitake, this is so disturbing. WARNING: The videos contain graphic images.
link describing event:
http://www.bikejuju.com/2011/brazil-cri ... -motorist/

Post subject: Re: Motorist mows down cyclists at Brazil Critial Mass
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 am 

I am surprised nobody has anything to say about this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:00 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

It is so incredibly awful. I can't even imagine what to say. Plus, without a few more details, I just feel kind of paralyzed by the horror.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:03 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

j-dub wrote:
It is so incredibly awful. I can't even imagine what to say. Plus, without a few more details, I just feel kind of paralyzed by the horror.

Same. I don't know where to find the words.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:08 am 
Inflexitarian

after reading these reactions and the synopsis of the story, I decided not to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:20 am 
Level 7 Vegan

In the comments it says the person's lawyer contacted the police and said they were going to turn themselves in on Monday.

I hope if the person claims it was a stuck pedal, that it's something that can be investigated.

Overall, horrible.

ETA: This article says some riders spoke to the driver before he plowed through. He was in a hurry.

http://road.cc/content/news/31464-drive ... ng-content

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:36 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My friend posted this video to his facebook page--I had to stop playing it after about thirty seconds, once I saw the dog on the back of the bike. I don't even know if anything happened to the dog...I just knew I couldn't handle watching what was going to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:38 am 

graffitipassion wrote:
ETA: This article says some riders spoke to the driver before he plowed through. He was in a hurry. http://road.cc/content/news/31464-drive ... ng-content

So he was in a hurry. Holy hell! I'm glad that all of the injured have been released from the hospital.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:36 am 
Inflexitarian

Sickening. So relieved to hear the injured are out of hospital.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:23 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

It's one of the worst videos I've ever watched, any charge less than attempted murder is not enough.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:32 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Holy Hell. He was in a hurry?! I am appalled.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:34 am 
Level 7 Vegan

bluebird wrote:
It's one of the worst videos I've ever watched, any charge less than attempted murder is not enough.

I hope he get's attempted murder as well. I don't know how the law system works, but I think it's possible for him to get attempted murder for each cyclist he hit...which I think is more than 40.

I just don't understand what was happening inside his head. He must have been waiting for a little bit behind the mass...so he was getting more and more worked up. (I think this could also be used against him in the attempted murder charge). But what he did next seems on the verge of insanity. (Possibly something his lawyer could claim?). Because no person in their right mind could think they could plow through human beings like that and have it not change his or her life forever.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:40 am 
Nailed to the V

He wouldn't get an insanity defense, this type of aggression happens all the time, and I could see how someone would get extremely frustrated in this situation.

As someone that rides bikes almost daily Critical Mass is just asking for something like this to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:43 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

article wrote:
One cyclist who was on the ride Camilo Colling, told the Brazilian website Terra Brasil that he spoke to the driver just before the incident, asking him to be patient and stop behaving aggressively towards the riders in his path and warning him that there were children and older people taking part in the ride ahead. The driver allegedly replied "Yes but I'm in a hurry" before ploughing his car in to the group of cyclists in front of him.

This whole thing makes me so angry!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:45 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Holy crepe I have to watch it now..
I guess it just confirms what's always in the back of my mind, which is it's only gonna take that one crasshole in a hurry or not paying attention to take you out.
/sigh

eta That is crazy, that guy was going so fast. I mean, looks like he was on a rampage. With a stuck pedal at least you could slam on the brakes or e-brake? Sheesh.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:59 am 
Level 7 Vegan

GuiltyofBeingSprite wrote:
As someone that rides bikes almost daily Critical Mass is just asking for something like this to happen.

I know what you are saying, but there's other options the guy could have taken. I know critical mass can be frustrating. I've seen rides where cars get stuck in in the middle of a thick ride. They get mad...yell things at the cyclists, the cyclists spray-paint or mark up their cars, and it's just bad for everyone involved.

But even a car stick in the middle can roll to a slow stop and let all the cyclists pass until they were all ahead. Then taken the next left or right and a different route. The Brazil video looks like they were in a pretty big city. There wasn't an alternative route?

I don't want to turn this into a critical mass discussion. There's things that could be done to make critical mass safer...I sure know that. I just don't think they were "asking" for it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:20 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm not saying it's reasonable but if these cyclists ride in an urban environment they should know our very existence peas people off, Critical Mass always hurts and never helps the relationship or people's frustration, so of course things like this happen.

Also, don't use your children and dogs as leverage when making a political point.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:41 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Every time i've had someone get really angry/dickish with me while riding, they have always had the option to switch lanes. It's never happened on a one lane street, so it's their personal problem.

The one time someone almost ran me over, I was stopped at a red light in the far right lane of a 4-5 lane street. The person saw me, still got behind me, and when the light turned green he decided to 'pass' me. And because the other people behind them didn't see me, they also almost clipped me. I almost shat myself, and it was a reminder to stay in the middle of the lane instead of staying too close to the curb.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:47 pm 

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... ess.com%2F

Well, I was going to quote some things posted, but it was translated. When I tried to paste the text, it was a mixture of both languages. Actually, the translation is a bit off too, so I hope I understood this correctly. Please correct me if I have it wrong.
I think Richard Neis was hospitalized, had a psychiatric evaluation, and was supposed to go to the police station, but wasn't released, because he was suffering from post-traumatic stress, and was very upset. Instead he was moved to a psychiatric clinic, and underwent some tests on Wed. His doctor said that he should remain in the hospital. Once he is discharged, he will be in police custody.

I don't know what this man's story is, but if he is suffering from PTS and is very upset, imagine what the people in the crowd are feeling.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:58 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm not saying it's reasonable but if these cyclists ride in an urban environment they should know our very existence peas people off, Critical Mass always hurts and never helps the relationship or people's frustration, so of course things like this happen.

I don't like Critical Mass either for exactly the same reason.

But wow. Just. Wow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Nickalya wrote:

I don't like Critical Mass either for exactly the same reason.

But wow. Just. Wow.

I think it could be more effective and less dangerous if folks got a permit to do a protest and blocked off roads and things. But...that would sort of defeat the purpose (block the roads, get folks thinking about bikes, environment, etc.).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:18 am 
Nailed to the V

Yea, it get's people thinking about bikes. It get's people thinking that bikes and their riders are annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:59 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Yea, it get's people thinking about bikes. It get's people thinking that bikes and their riders are annoying.

So... they have it coming when a motorist tries to kill them? Come on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:49 am 
Level 7 Vegan

jordanpattern wrote:

So... they have it coming when a motorist tries to kill them? Come on.

Seriously! I think most people, and most cyclists, would agree that critical mass is annoying. But it doesn't mean they deserve to be run over. What about that group of people who laid down in the middle of Wilshire blvd in Los Angeles to protest the Arizona law? They annoyed hundreds of motorists. If a car ran them over because he didn't want to wait for them to move did they "have it coming?" Protests can be annoying...but it doesn't give people a right harm the people involved.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:19 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

And to some degree, isn't the point of a protest to be annoying enough to get someone to think? If I stand on a corner and wave a sign will you remember as much as my blocking your way?

I hope that he is released soon to face a judge.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs