| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hens for Haiti
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:13 pm 
Chip Strong

ugh.
how do we get these people to stop exploiting animals in the name of helping humans??

http://hensforhaiti.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: Hens for Haiti
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:57 pm 
Nailed to the V

This is one of the cases where I just try to ignore it. With a million land animals being killed an hour it doesn't really help our case to tell impoverished people or groups helping impoverished people what to do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:03 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

GuiltyofBeingSprite wrote:
This is one of the cases where I just try to ignore it. With a million land animals being killed an hour it doesn't really help our case to tell impoverished people or groups helping impoverished people what to do.

IAWTC. It's not the type of thing I would give money to myself, but I can't really criticize people who are just trying to barely scrape by and survive. At least they're not going to factory farms.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:05 pm 
Semen Strong

Part of what sucks is that there is no way that individuals in the camps who really need them could really keep those hens in such a way that it would be able to provide a reliable foodsource for a family. The camps people are living in are atrocious and don't have anything like clean water or even dry soil with seeds and insects for food. So the hens are either another total misguided good intention by people who haven't been on the ground or a cynical ploy to get donations out of people for "something practical" and then use those funds to pay salaries for the staff or funding other operations.

Even the blog you linked to says that although they have funds for a chicken farm (which could well be a factory farmlike operation) the roads are in such terrible shape they would have to fund reconstruction of the roads in order to get the birds to market.

Quote:
With support from the community, I will start looking for possible funders of a road re-construction. ...Or for new funders of the hen project, depending on how urgently the roadwork needs to be done.