| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, um, Glenn Beck is, um, vegan now?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
Yes, Glenn Beck is my hero. And obviously non-AR vegans don't care about animals.

*writes a check to Pandacookie*

I told you it was the wave of the future. Also, no one cares about this except vegans on the internet. I just wish that people didn't think vegan meant gluten free. How the hell did that one start?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:35 pm 
WRETCHED

Word. Panda and I demand gluten with a side of gluten.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:38 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

ijustdiedinside wrote:
people are insulted if you assume they are vegan because they care about animals? I feel like most vegans I've met care about animals, their health and the environment to varying degrees. I guess I've met junk food AR vegans who didn't care about their health, but for the most part, people seem to care at least a little bit about everything.

Screw the animals, my health, and the planet. I'm here for the cookies and the ladies!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Also, Glenn Beck is dumb. I feel gross even typing his name.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one!

Moreover, when he smiles I make an 'ick' face. There's just something about it that's so...so? Fake? Sinister? Deceitful? "American Psycho" sociopathic?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:15 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I agree that it's dumb to make a distinction between an ethical vegan and someone who eats a vegan diet.

try telling that to the vegan Livejournal communities.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:19 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Vegans are snobs.

But snobs with sassy style.

And usually baking skills.

Formerly rad.badger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:09 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Fascist wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
Also, Glenn Beck is dumb. I feel gross even typing his name.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one!

Moreover, when he smiles I make an 'ick' face. There's just something about it that's so...so? Fake? Sinister? Deceitful? "American Psycho" sociopathic?

I'm convinced everything about him is fake. I've met the dude (he came into a restaurant I worked at last year), and he just seemed like a normal guy. Very calm. Nice, even! No way is he as manic and crazy in real life as he appears on TV, which makes his TV persona even more obnoxious because it's obviously so calculated. Then again, I didn't really get to talk to him, so who knows how accurate my impression of him was.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:56 am 
WRETCHED

frozenveggies wrote:
Vegans are snobs.

I can't bake, I'm getting less vegan by the moment!

I am also here for the ladies and the cookies.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:53 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

linanil wrote:
frozenveggies wrote:
Vegans are snobs.

I can't bake, I'm getting less vegan by the moment!

Yes you are. Soon you'll be disappearing from any photos you had with animals, you'll no longer have the desire to buy in bulk, and garlic will just be garlic.

Purposeful alienation was my sassy snobby vegan plan.

Formerly rad.badger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:54 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

You got me. I really am Glenn Beck.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:09 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

lavawitch wrote:
Wait a minute....isnt this a GOOD thing? Who cares why someone stops eating meat? Lots of people start out for one reason and keep doing it for others. Animals and the environment dont give a crepe why. Bottom line is less meat and dairy are being consumed, and in the case of someone like Glenn Beck, it is someone seemingly unlikely, which means publicity for a vegan diet in new places.

Do we really have to like someone to be glad they aren't eating meat?

I totally agree with this, and I hate the elitism that is such a part of veganism. "Remember, because we do it for ethical reasons we are SOooooo superior." is how those msgs that say "It's different when it's for ethical reasons really sounds.

I went vegetarian for health reasons, vegan for animals and also because cheese is the devil and my cholesterol was still a bit high and I thought that cutting it wouldn't hurt and might have helped in other areas, but honestly I don't think it's any different...mainly because the end result is the same, the only difference is your opinion/reason...no animal is going to scoff at someone who does'nt eat them, regardless of the reason.

comments like that, and like "I'm quitting veganism" (however sarcastic it may be) is why people think that it's a crazy elitist fringe group. I remember wanting to be veg*n a long time ago but was SO turned off by that attitude and didn't want to be lumped in with those people, it almost felt like a requirement. I think it hurts us more than helps. I can't help but wonder the impact of people coming to it at all, or coming to it earlier, would have if it didn't have that kind of stigma attached to it.

I feel this is going to be an unpopular comment, but whatever.

http://www.beyondwillpower.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:38 am 
Grandfathered In

If Glenn Beck said he was starting a blog, I would made the hilarious comment, "I'm quitting blogging." It's not about the elitism of veganism—it's about hating Glenn Beck and feeling weird about having anything in common with him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:58 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I"m saying how it would look to someoen on the outside looking in.

http://www.beyondwillpower.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Quote:
Did you know that Earth Day is tomorrow? I am so excited. Stu, right now, I want you to open up the phone lines or maybe even your email address to find people with chainsaws that on tomorrow's broadcast will cut trees down. I mean, they have to be your own trees. But I mean, if you want to cut some trees down tomorrow to celebrate Earth Day.

Quote:
It took me about a year to start hating the 9/11 victims’ families… I’m so sick of them because they’re always complaining… We did our best for them… But the second thought I had when I saw these people and they had to shut down the Astrodome and lock it down [because of rioting while supplies were being distributed], I thought: I didn’t think I could hate victims faster than the 9-11 victims.” He continues to say, “This is a 90,000-square-mile disaster site, New Orleans is 181 square miles… And that’s all we’re hearing about, are the people in New Orleans. Those are the only ones we’re seeing on television are the scumbags… It’s just a small percentage of those who were left in New Orleans, or who decided to stay in New Orleans, and they’re getting all the attention.”

Glenn Beck is a crasshole whether he eats tofu or dog shiitake. No one who agrees with Beck is trolling these forums in search of advice on becoming vegan. I am hardly going to censor my opinion about people like him simply because they are vegan.
But I'm fair! I have nothing nice to say about Gary Francione and he's vegan as well!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:14 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

yeah, I think it's pretty apparent that footface's joke is about hating glenn beck and not about hating people who are vegan for health reasons. it's GLENN BECK!!! Everything he does is despicable! if he saved a baby from a well I'd still hate him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ijustdiedinside wrote:
yeah, I think it's pretty apparent that footface's joke is about hating glenn beck and not about hating people who are vegan for health reasons. it's GLENN BECK!!! Everything he does is despicable! if he saved a baby from a well I'd still hate him.

But I love IDJI and Esme because I get to tell people I made Esme's special sauce and then wink.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:58 pm 
Huffs Nooch

beyondwillpower wrote:
I totally agree with this, and I hate the elitism that is such a part of veganism. "Remember, because we do it for ethical reasons we are SOooooo superior." is how those msgs that say "It's different when it's for ethical reasons really sounds.

I went vegetarian for health reasons, vegan for animals and also because cheese is the devil and my cholesterol was still a bit high and I thought that cutting it wouldn't hurt and might have helped in other areas, but honestly I don't think it's any different...mainly because the end result is the same, the only difference is your opinion/reason...no animal is going to scoff at someone who does'nt eat them, regardless of the reason.

comments like that, and like "I'm quitting veganism" (however sarcastic it may be) is why people think that it's a crazy elitist fringe group. I remember wanting to be veg*n a long time ago but was SO turned off by that attitude and didn't want to be lumped in with those people, it almost felt like a requirement. I think it hurts us more than helps. I can't help but wonder the impact of people coming to it at all, or coming to it earlier, would have if it didn't have that kind of stigma attached to it.

I feel this is going to be an unpopular comment, but whatever.

I was one of the last in my small group of vegetarian friends to transition to being vegan in high school for this exact reason. In the early to mid 90's hardcore scene veganism was also wrapped up with the sXe movement which lead to all kinds of extreme elitism and snobbery. My hippy self didn't want anything to do with the hardliners at the time. I stayed vegetarian and resisted becoming vegan for probably 3 years because of the attitude.

I understand what you are saying and agree.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:18 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

ijustdiedinside wrote:

What is he saved a vegan baby from a well?

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:34 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

hmm..tough call.

no, not really, I'd still hate him!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

I hate how watered down veganism has become. I stick to the original definition, I am not elitist I am just old school and don't feel like changing. Though when I talk to people who are new to veganism, I am always encouraging and hope that they embrace the whole lifestyle.
And I am shocked that no one person mentioned that the German dude who was really Austrian wasn't a vegetarian, that it was all part of his governments propaganda to make him look moral and pure.
As far as the person who this whole thread is about, do I really want to encourage him to live longer, does that makes me not vegan that I don't care about his living longer? What would Gary think??

Last edited by veganskater on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:39 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

What if he saved a vegan baby from a vegan well and then drew a big diagram on his chalkboard with circles connecting vegan babies and america and your tax dollars?

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:43 pm 
Naked Under Apron

veganskater wrote:
As far as the person who this whole thread is about,

Voldemort?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:43 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

veganskater wrote:
What would Gary think??

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:44 pm 
Saggy Butt

pandacookie wrote:
What if he saved a vegan baby from a vegan well and then drew a big diagram on his chalkboard with circles connecting vegan babies and america and your tax dollars?

*needs to go mediate on this while doing yoga and drinking a wheat grass enfused smoothie*

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

Desdemona wrote:
veganskater wrote:
What would Gary think??

Not Gary "pedophile" Glitter, Gary "fonzi" Francione

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next