| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 227, 228, 229, 230, 231
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:19 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

This is a great read along the lines of "Pink Ribbons, Inc.": How "Pink Ribbon Culture" Harms Breast Cancer Patients and Survivors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

That's a really good piece Erika, thanks for sharing.

Pink ribbon culture has always bothered me (even beyond all the money that goes to fund largely useless animal research) but I couldn't put my finger on why. Now I realize what bothers me so much. It's that image of women with breast cancer as cheerleaders and brave, feminine survivors that basically shows everyone how they're "supposed" to go through it and it excludes people suffering from the same disease who have a different experience or outlook.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:08 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Sangria wrote:
beyond all the money that goes to fund largely useless animal research

I would argue that the majority of the Pink Ribbon Industry doesn't even do that. A lot of these pinkwashed products donate very little money (I think with Yoplait it was like a quarter of a cent per yogurt) to actual breast cancer causes, and of those causes, most of them are about 'raising awareness' more than actually funding scientific research. 'Raising awareness' is vaguely defined as it is, but also besides the point- I think of all the cancers out there today, we are more aware of breast cancer than any others.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:54 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

This hasn't been updated since 2014 but I love it:

https://twitter.com/susankomenghost

Also, yes, Komen sucks, most of the $$ raised went right into Nancy Brinker's posh pocketbook. So much awareness! So far still from a cure!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:15 pm 
BAD PASS

My friend Julie who does updates on a local sports radio station and writes for multiple publications wrote this piece about the recent photos of the Yankees "hazing" their rookies by making them dress like women. Because being a woman is funny and demeaning, I guess.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/10/04/ ... -as-women/

Men on twitter are MAD ONLINE about it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:23 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:02 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Endless fury about the Trump assault/harassment tapes, and all of my own experiences being assaulted or harassed which they have reminded me of.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:52 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

This actually happened on facebook:

I wrote:
Kissing someone or grabbing someone's genitals who has not asked for it is sexual assault, every single time. That is not morality issue, it's straight up criminal and dehumanizing for the person on the receiving end. And if anyone thinks this is just another ploy to get votes away from trump, do yourself a favor and find out just how much this has affected victims of sexual assault. Imagine the worst moment of your life (or the life of one of your female relatives), one that you may or may not have come to terms with, and then imagine that a Presidential candidate is bragging about doing the kind of things that happened to you. It's devastating and horrifying. It is not just about politics.

idiot (female) friend of a relative wrote:
So, it was a hot mic taping. I dislike the words used,but women have to get over it! Your definition comparison with Trump I have a problem with. It's completely over the top!! If a man goes to touch my body he will feel my wrath verbally and physically.. When I was younger, I'll just through this out there, I worked for "Women Against Rape" for 4yrs. I've seen what it looks like. So, I'm clear on what happens and what crossing the line is. I've also encountered many issues while working in the Entertainment industry were I've been "hit on" by both men and WOMEN!! Let me give you an example of sexual assault/rape. When I man pushes himself on a women and bits her lip so bad its bleeding/swollen/bruised. I feel that's definitely sexual assault. When I man uses props on a women to get he's jollies for example using a cigar on her body I'd say that's assault!! << Yes Bill Clinton!!! So, please this holier then thou crepe people are spew is all about Politics and trying to out a man who truly wants to get this country back. The thievery & lies should be of more concern and Hillary is the Queen of them both.

So. Much. Rage.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:00 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

@richardhine

BOOM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 227, 228, 229, 230, 231