| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:03 am 
Grandfathered In

I wouldn't mind if Michael Phelps covered up his cupping bruises.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:02 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Tofulish wrote:
A female athlete posts about the harassment she gets, and the comments become a flurry of mansplaining and people hitting on her.

http://www.ebaileyfitness.com/blog/2016 ... 8wzbjaie3x

So if you don't wear make-up no one should have to look at you, but if you look good, you're asking to be harassed and scared by any guy who feels like it. #cantwin

Don't read the comments, barf!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I loved the post, felt gross after reading the comments.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:31 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I'll just quote my friend who posted this story: "We need to change the conversation: Anyone who says anything to a woman breastfeeding is engaged in sexual harassment. These people are sexualizing a non-sexual act. They must be reported, removed, and if necessary arrested. People who comment on breastfeeding are sexualizing children. Rather than defend women's right to feed their children (which is a given) we need to enforce the punishment of criminal acts of harassment."

http://jezebel.com/mom-scolded-for-brea ... socialflow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:40 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I saw this story on the BBC, and literally the only thing the (female) journalist wanted to discuss was this fracking attention-whoring public marriage proposal. I swear to god she had more questions for this world-class athlete's boyfriend - oh sorry, "fiancé!" - than for the woman who had just won an actual goddamn silver medal in the Olympics. You can't make this stuff up.

https://thehairpin.com/please-dont-prop ... .tvr1tr9h5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:49 am 
WRETCHED

haha... I saw a headline that said 'Olympian wins silver medal but ends up getting a bigger prize" referring to the engagement which is nope, nope, nope.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:56 am 
Flounceiad 2011

linanil wrote:
haha... I saw a headline that said 'Olympian wins silver medal but ends up getting a bigger prize" referring to the engagement which is nope, nope, nope.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:44 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

"How did he propose?"
"Oh, it was so romantic. I was defending my dissertation and he showed up out of nowhere with an oversized Teddy bear and asked me to marry him! The jeweler was still resizing his grandmother's antique ring so he stuck a RingPop in my mouth and then turned to the committee and asked 'Isn't she pretty?'"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:42 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I've always felt creeped out by super public marriage proposals. Maybe... any amount public, actually. How can you truly be certain their answer is genuine?! Okay - I admit - I'm saying this as someone with an introvert brain. There could be people in the world, I suppose, who don't feel the gaze of strangers as distracting and pressuring as I do. But, ugh.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:44 pm 

Yeah, public proposals are hard enough, but those that try to overshadow other events suck balls. Those fools deserve to be turned down.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:12 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Mars wrote:
I've always felt creeped out by super public marriage proposals. Maybe... any amount public, actually. How can you truly be certain their answer is genuine?! Okay - I admit - I'm saying this as someone with an introvert brain. There could be people in the world, I suppose, who don't feel the gaze of strangers as distracting and pressuring as I do. But, ugh.
No, it's inherently coercive, because it puts unbearable pressure on the person - usually a woman - being proposed to. And millennia of cultural imperatives to make men happy and not disappoint/hurt/anger them pretty much ensure what the answer will be, especially when there's an audience watching and cooing about how "romantic" it is. (And just imagine what a world-class BETCH a woman in such a situation would be if she refused Prince Charming? A public hanging would be the least she could expect!)
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
"How did he propose?"
"Oh, it was so romantic. I was defending my dissertation and he showed up out of nowhere with an oversized Teddy bear and asked me to marry him! The jeweler was still resizing his grandmother's antique ring so he stuck a RingPop in my mouth and then turned to the committee and asked 'Isn't she pretty?'"
THIS WAS EXACTLY THE SCENARIO I WENT TO AS WELL (but you made it better with the whole "silencing-by-ring-pop" thing).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:33 pm 

I've been wondering if it's a control thing, it's just so inappropriate, it can't just be a proposal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Any time I see something like that, all I hear is the person proposing saying "See?? I love you! Look how much I love you! I'm telling you in front of EVERYONE! You can't doubt me! No, really! I'm going to be the best spouse ever because I love you so much I must publicly proclaim it!" (In other words, it always seems like an overcompensation for something.)

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Public proposals really gross me out on a personal level. I would immediately break up with someone if they did that, because it would show they don't know me... at all. (I mean, if they're asking me to marry them without a practical reason, like one of us needs insurance, I'd question the relationship... and probably break up with them.) However, I will allow for the fact that while it seems gross and possibly controlling to me, there are people who love that stuff. It's entirely possible that some women tell their partners that they need a big, public proposal and will be disappointed if they don't get one. Is that guided by notions of romance that I think are dated and probably better done away with? Well, probably. Is that the case here? I dunno.

I'm not trying to be all choose your choice feminist here, rather I'm saying that while the idea of a big public proposal comes from a toxic, sexist soup, on the individual level, it's not necessarily controlling or manipulative.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:20 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Yep, gross and I am someone who doesn't mind attention but that sort makes me shudder.

We were in Cancun last year for my birthday and on the next table over, the woman got a cake. I looked at Lee and said "If a cake arrives for me tomorrow, they will never find your body."

I can only imagine what a public proposal feels like and then to do it as someone is getting their medal. Have a seat already.

Mat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:22 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

matwinser wrote:
We were in Cancun last year for my birthday and on the next table over, the woman got a cake. I looked at Lee and said "If a cake arrives for me tomorrow, they will never find your body."

#relationshipgoals

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:48 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Ha, he wasn't in the least bit surprised though. He just said "Yeah, I know you would hate that."

Mat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:14 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Flipping through an interior design magazine today I saw an advert for a Hayne's Women's DIY manual. Pink cover, naturally. Because us wimminz couldn't possibly use the regular Hayne's manual, we need a pink one with things explained more simply for our tiny female brains. I wonder if it has pictures of bunnies and flowers in it to keep our attention. Guffaw.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:57 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

THANK GOD there are pink hammers out there. I've just been having to make do with normal ones.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:54 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

So, does Home Depot have a girl aisle now, or do we have to root for our pink tools from the yucky boy aisle?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:57 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I actually had to paint my father-in-law's jigsaw pink, or we would still not have a clean edge on our new fence! Such a pain in the asparagus.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:11 pm 

amonik wrote:
I actually had to paint my father-in-law's jigsaw pink, or we would still not have a clean edge on our new fence! Such a pain in the asparagus.

Hopefully he has time to repaint it a manly colour before he needs to use it again.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:15 am 
Impressive boner

You mean I wasn't allowed to look at the blue manual Mr8 bought? shiitake.... do I have boy amoebas on me now?!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:29 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

8ball wrote:
You mean I wasn't allowed to look at the blue manual Mr8 bought? shiitake.... do I have boy amoebas on me now?!

Possibly cooties. All boys have cooties.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:52 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I work at a home improvement store and frequently get women asking for pink tools, then being all disappointed when I tell them that we only have them around the holidays. "But what if I want girly tools all year??" First, recognize that you're being charged extra for a sub-par tool just because the handle happens to be pink plastic. Then, buy a forking hammer and a can of spray paint if you must have candy-colored things.

And don't even get me started on the unbelievable number of women who are afraid to even look outside the garden center because "oh, that's my husband's world in there - I wouldn't know what to do with any of that!" or the lady returning a pack of screws that are the wrong size because "that's what happens when men send women to pick up screws." Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231  Next