| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 227, 228, 229, 230, 231  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:50 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Reading the Guardian and there's a sidebar with other stories and this quote from Woody Allen: 'There are traumas in life that weaken us. That’s what has happened to me'

Y'all, let's take a moment to pause and shed a single tear for Woody Allen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:22 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

The trauma of people thinking he's gross when he is?

WAH Wah wah...

Mat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:14 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Also in The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/science/bra ... headphones

Ugh.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:21 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

jennyc wrote:

RRRRRAAAAAAAAAAGE.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:27 pm 
<3

Rosie wrote:
Flipping through an interior design magazine today I saw an advert for a Hayne's Women's DIY manual. Pink cover, naturally. Because us wimminz couldn't possibly use the regular Hayne's manual, we need a pink one with things explained more simply for our tiny female brains. I wonder if it has pictures of bunnies and flowers in it to keep our attention. Guffaw.

This doesn't look half bad (looked it up on Amazon)

Before attacking and flaming me, I'll say first yes, the color is pink. It's targeted to women. Maybe it's more simplistic but that may not be an all bad thing.

Like women who receive protection from males in ways they don't even notice or acknowledge, some women may receive DIY help from males and others in their lives without even noticing this either.

For women on their own, it's not easy. I'm not DIY at all. A history of severe childhood abuse can make me freeze when I try to do something. Instead of methodically working through something my brain will freeze and just tell me 'no you can't. you're stupid, your nothing. you can't do anything' I'm still amazed that a co-worker told me years ago she replaced her car radiator. I've replaced a dead bolt and thought that was a huge accomplishment.

This book may be targeted at women but I'm interested in looking into it. It may be helpful for someone like myself with very little DIY confidence. I doubt most women who cohabitate with or have males or others in their lives do it all alone. Sometimes instead of jumping on something like this, realize it may help some people. If I were to look at something a little more complicated regarding repairs, my mind would probably go to that negative tape playing. This could be better for me for reasons other than I'm a stupid woman,

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Teresa- I hear you, in that often, girls and women are socialized to be less handy and familiar with tools. I have spent a lot of time working on and learning in a free bike shop program teaching women and trans folks and folks marginalized to work on their bikes. What I dislike about this book (and similar) is its marketing leans on some of the stereotypes/social stuff that perpetuate these barriers.

And the pink tools - yeah, as someone mentioned up thread, you're often paying as much or more for an often inferior product because it's pink or has flower or something. And that doesn't sit well with me.

But if this book seems like it could help you reach some self sufficiency goals, I think that's awesome. Good luck with whatever projects you want to take on!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:16 pm 
<3

Olives wrote:
Teresa- I hear you, in that often, girls and women are socialized to be less handy and familiar with tools. I have spent a lot of time working on and learning in a free bike shop program teaching women and trans folks and folks marginalized to work on their bikes. What I dislike about this book (and similar) is its marketing leans on some of the stereotypes/social stuff that perpetuate these barriers.

And the pink tools - yeah, as someone mentioned up thread, you're often paying as much or more for an often inferior product because it's pink or has flower or something. And that doesn't sit well with me.

But if this book seems like it could help you reach some self sufficiency goals, I think that's awesome. Good luck with whatever projects you want to take on!

Olives, I appreciate your kind reply on this subject. I agree with you on products that may be targeted to women because they look pretty. I'm not pulled in by that. The few tools I have, such as a hammer, are just plain. And yes, it may target a stereotype but as I stated it may be beneficial to a lot of women like me without a good confidence foundation or a women finding herself on her own after years of marriage etc. There were others available on Amazon and I'm going to look into them.

This idea isn't new to me either. Years ago I remember two women on a talk show who had wrote a book for women on home repairs. They said their motivation to write this book was to empower women and to keep strangers out of women's homes. And yes, it was geared toward women with little knowledge of repairs. I've since thought of that show and book though I don't remember the name of it. The bottom line for myself also, is my barrier really isn't social in a case like this. It's my own internal fears.

Best wishes also on working on your bike.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:48 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

So I'm not thrilled that Brock Turner is already out of jail, but I will cop to no small amount of smug satisfaction seeing him registering as a sex offender.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

One of my local news stations posted this article a couple of days ago: http://wfla.com/2016/09/04/heres-how-to-stay-safe-while-running-or-exercising-alone/

Once again, it's all about things a woman should do to keep herself safe while doing a normal, everyday activity. The onus is *always* on the woman to protect herself instead of shifting the narrative over to the men (primarily, of course it can be women as well) who shouldn't be attacking other people.

And as if that's not frustrating enough, the article mentions this product:

Quote:
Another product available online is called TigerLady. It’s portable and fits into the palm of your hand with an attachment for your wrist.

A lot of people use the tool as a running grip, but if you’re attacked, you can squeeze and claws pop out. The claws are plastic, so it’s not considered a lethal weapon, but it is enough to stun your attacker and give you enough time to get away.

If you take a closer look at the retractable claws, you’ll see they’re designed to capture skin and DNA, which means you don’t even have to see your attacker to help catch them.

Retractable. Forking. Claws. I mean, I'm sure it's one of those things that will be useful to a handful of people, but my god that we live in a world where development of something like this is necessary. When's that PPK commune happening? I'm ready to join.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:36 pm 
Semen Strong

Just WHAT?

I can see that something like that (like the vagina dentata thing that was being proposed in South Africa http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/06 ... index.html) could make a rapist even more angry and violent.

Can we just all agree that rape is a terrible crime and treat it as such? Drinking doesn't rape people, short skirts don't rape people, getting into cars doesn't rape people. A profound sense of entitlement and a disregard for the humanity of women causes rapists who rape women

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:53 am 
Impressive boner

The Tuts were assaulted by security at Undercover festival in Brighton this weekend. People are saying that they're pulling the "race/gender card" and they were really drunk and badly behaved and the promoter definitely isn't racist and how dare you insult old white men. People who weren't there are asking for evidence. People who promote right wing bands are using this to discredit The Tuts.

fork this shiitake. So much.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:04 pm 

I'm a department manager at a home improvement store (one of about a dozen, and one of the five women in the group). There are several female associates in our store who will only show respect to the people in the store who happen to have dicks. It's REALLY getting to me today. They'll readily defer to a part-time sales associate who is a man, but won't take even the most minor direction from a manager who is a woman. Thanks for continuing to hold us back. And fork you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ugh zelavie, it goes the other way too, as I'm sure you are aware.

There is a wholesale plumbing supply store I go to once in a while and all but one of the men are condescending to me. I usually try to get the one decent man to help me but last time I got "hey little lady, what can I help you with?" guy. At the cash he said, "So whatcha making?" with a big condescending smile. I told him I was fixing the filter at one of my wastewater plants. Then he asks me if I have primer and glue - I don't believe he would ever ask a man that. No more small talk with me - he took my credit card and started talking to the employee next to him.

I was in another store this week and found a female employee to help me. I asked her where the grease guns are and she told me, then we had one of those brief seconds of eye contact and a little nod - women who grease things

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:26 pm 

Yep, I definitely see that happen all too often.

Another frequent occurrence (and one of my favorites): I'm standing in an aisle with a male associate. A customer comes up, I greet him, and he ignores me to ask his question of the male associate. 9 times out of 10, the male associate looks at me and asks if I know the answer, which I often do. The customer leaves feeling like a bit of an asparagus, and we get a nice little laugh. The male associates enjoy this as much as we do. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:21 am 
Level 7 Vegan

This should go in the positivity thread, but on the topic of home improvement store sexism... After asking a couple employee dudes for advice on my project which involved fitting interior molding (which the store called "moulding" but is that how we spell it here in america? Anyway...) it was clear to me that they had no idea how to do what I was asking about but were just bullshitting to act like they did. So then after talking it out with them I realized I had a much better idea and got to work with a saw and a miter box. After I had been there sawing like a badass for a while, customers kept coming up to ask me questions, thinking that I worked there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:15 pm 
Semen Strong

I really liked this piece (part of a series by the Angry Chef talking about the problems with demonizing "Convenience" foods) on how decrying convenience foods is really misogynistic. http://angry-chef.com/blog/the-convenience-truth-part-4

Quote:
When we moralise at convenience food choices, we are moralising about women’s freedom from domestic servitude. We are forcing guilt on the blameless because we long for a return to female domesticity, where a woman’s role was in the home, raising the children. We are demanding that women’s time, effort and thoughts are dragged from their workplace and back into the kitchen where they belong. To cook, to clean, to serve.

This needs to stop. We need to stop shaming the poor. We need to stop this hidden desire to return women to servitude. We need to stop shaming convenience foods. Convenience foods are part of people’s lives, they are not going away and neither should they.

The food manufacturing industry feeds millions every day. It gives people back their time. Despite changing work patterns, since 1965 the amount of time that women spend with their children has increased over 20%. Convenience food frees people to pursue activities, to read, to study, to exercise, to play. Ready meals, take aways, fast food restaurants, crisps, ice cream and chocolate bars all form a rich part of the tapestry of modern family lives. The ties between families need not be poorer for this. Convenience food can be an eloquent and beautiful way reinforce our most important bonds. I have rich and glorious childhood food memories, and although many of these are full of delicious home cooked food, they are also full of convenient treats, fast food, takeaways, Crispy Pancakes, Vienettas and tinned tomato soup.

To embrace convenient food options is not to devolve yourself from parental responsibility, it can be an expression of love as strong as any scratch cooked meal.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:29 pm 
<3

I found it interesting in this article that it was stated a "bizarre proliferation" of things found to be domestic. I like to knit, I like to sew. I have had no time for these activities in a number of years because my job exhausts me. However, I still get numerous compliments on the shopping bags I made in the past from male and female check out clerks. "did you make these?" "do you sell them?" People like hand made stuff I guess.

The woman mentioned also 16% cooking from scratch daily. That's a lot of families who are not cooking from scratch daily. So cook from scratch is firmly in the minority. No one should be put down for what works for them.

We ate simply. My mother had truly known hunger and we knew better than to complain. I also didn't see mentioned in the article older kids helping with meals. I did this a lot, especially in the summer. My mother would leave me instructions or start something and then she would tell me how to finish it. I never thought of this before, but for all the many many times I was yelled at, I don't think I was ever yelled at for messing up a cooking instruction or meal. I guess I was decent at it and my mother, I think, always thanked me. Even praised me.

Families have to find what works for them and I think older kids should help. Single people, it's easy. I eat what I want when I want. And I'm grateful to never have known hunger no matter how broke I was.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:56 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Teresa wrote:
Families have to find what works for them and I think older kids should help. Single people, it's easy. I eat what I want when I want. And I'm grateful to never have known hunger no matter how broke I was.

This. (Especially the last sentence. My mom had periods of being out of work when I was a kid, and grandma always made sure we had something to eat, even if it was just pasta with a boring sauce.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:16 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

GQ posted a (surprise!) sexist article about climbing and bouldering, with lots of gratuitously sexy pics of women and lots of strrrrrrrrrong pictures of climbing men. OR (an outdoor magazine) just published an amazing response, which re-frames all the quotes as utter nonsense and flips the genders of everyone in the pics: http://blog.thedyrt.com/camp/week-gq-pu ... -response/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:23 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

“Ruffled dress shirt (part of previous Halloween costume, $15)” hahaha. I love it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:47 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

aelle wrote:
“Ruffled dress shirt (part of previous Halloween costume, $15)” hahaha. I love it!

“Pool floatie – Therm-A-Rest $125.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:49 am 
Hip Goiter

Part of me really wants those claws BUT it's so true that it would make an attacker just more likely to escalate shiitake.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lutin wrote:
aelle wrote:

“Pool floatie – Therm-A-Rest $125.”

Yessssssss!

I was so ragey reading that gq article. Everything was terrible but I was especially pissed about the gratuitous tit shots. Barf.

Also why the fork is there a $1200 sweater vest. And I though paying $300 for a nanopuff was bonkers. I just would love to see a boulder rip those clothes to shreds.

Last edited by couroupita on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Seriously! It always cracks me up when I see staged shots of people rock climbing wearing really expensive clothes, because in my experience nothing destroys your clothes quicker than rock climbing. The clothes I climb in are shredded!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:49 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Tofulish wrote:
I really liked this piece (part of a series by the Angry Chef talking about the problems with demonizing "Convenience" foods) on how decrying convenience foods is really misogynistic. http://angry-chef.com/blog/the-convenience-truth-part-4

Really fascinating article, thanks for sharing! I got my first shaking out of disliking convenience foods by a disabled friend who finds them so useful, and this is another dimension I hadn't considered.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 227, 228, 229, 230, 231  Next