| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4090 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 164  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:10 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i wondered myself but i didn't want to have to look at the image again. instead i will mentally substitute an image of bell hooks rolling her eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:17 am 
Semen Strong

Okay, I am blown away by all the women who think that there should be a "three strikes" rule for the morning after pill. Because otherwise other women will be using this instead of responsible birth control.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/06/healt ... .html?_r=0

And I find it so horrible that as Judge Korman says 'Ms. Sebelius’s decision was “politically motivated, scientifically unjustified, and contrary to agency precedent.”'

It sucks that a product that is sold only to women isn't subject to the same level of scrutiny as a product sold to men, but also has another layer of blame and shame attached. And this is coming from a Democrat - 8 years spent blocking an aspect of a woman's right to choose what birth control and how to structure her family planning decisions. ARGH. With friends like this, who needs enemies?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:29 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Well, I think there should be a three strikes rule for jock itch spray.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:52 am 
WELFARIST!

I am really saddened/mad by the quote from President Obama in that article. It completely ignores the fact that this is a women's rights issue and tries to use "innocent children" and "safety" as a scapegoat. Stop trying to label it anything other than what it actually is- sexism! It is insane that any time we want to scapegoat something or knock it down, we throw in "but what about the innocent little children?!?!?!?!?!?!"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:54 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mr. Shankly wrote:
It is insane that any time we want to scapegoat something or knock it down, we throw in "but what about the innocent little children?!?!?!?!?!?!"

yes, I've noticed this with a myriad of issues. It's really disturbing.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:37 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I have a boy who always take staples out for me (because he likes doing little tasks). I call it a job-for-people-who-aren't-wearing-nail-polish. At the beginning of the year he said, oh so it's guy work. And I pointed out that men wear nail polish too and the kids all kind of looked at me like I'm nuts. Although, to be fair, I get that look a lot, especially when I tell geology jokes.

(comet is whizzing by Earth and says "hey, Earth! I almost didn't recognize you with all that continental drift.")

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:50 pm 
Semen Strong

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I am really saddened/mad by the quote from President Obama in that article.

Yes, that is the part that really gets to me. A majority of women vote for the Democrats and President Obama, and our support has been key to this administration being in office, and still women's issues get hijacked for 8 YEARS by inaction and the same tired "won't someone think of the children" garbage that always gets trotted out to oppress women.

If you want to think of the children, then start supporting education, welfare benefits and programs to actually, you know, help the 20% of American children living below the poverty line in this country. http://www.nccp.org/topics/childpoverty.html

Women and children really don't have a 2 party system in the US.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:46 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Nevermind...I misread.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:43 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

The quidditch tournament I went to on the weekend challenged my feminism. On the whole the quidditch community is usually pretty good, but this weekend I came away with the feeling that men were useful players by default, whereas women could either be exceptional or go home.

I've been playing for two years and I still don't know how I feel about mixed-gender sport. Some days I think it's the greatest thing, and other days I want to run away and join a nice comfortable women-only sport. (I've never played a single-gender sport, so I can't really compare!)

Last edited by Morgyn on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
(comet is whizzing by Earth and says "hey, Earth! I almost didn't recognize you with all that continental drift.")

Made me laugh.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:54 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I don't know if anyone's posted this before, but this entire blog makes me want to cry/strangle someone.

http://i-once-had-a-guy-tell-me.tumblr.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:09 am 
Semen Strong

That Tumblr makes me want to hug my daughter and never let her leave the house. It sucks to realize that we're going to have to have conversations about how men treat women so much earlier than I would want. And she is going to have to learn how to navigate rape culture.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:03 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Quarantined wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
It is insane that any time we want to scapegoat something or knock it down, we throw in "but what about the innocent little children?!?!?!?!?!?!"

yes, I've noticed this with a myriad of issues. It's really disturbing.

I remember you posting about this in the thread about Jessica Valenti's book, and I replied with some info about J. Falwell and the Moral Majority. There was a npr segment this morning that mentioned Anita Bryant and I had forgotten that the anti-woman anti-gay group she started in the 70's was actually called Save Our Children. It's an emotional appeal designed to render any sort of facts or reality useless. And it is very very effective. If you've seen the Harvey Milk documentary (not the movie from the 00s), there's a great guy in it that worked on the Briggs initiative campaign who was a gay teacher who's job was threatened if that passed. And he says in that documentary something about how it was hard to fight against them because who can be against the children? Fear is maybe the most powerful motivator and once you get a kernel of untruth in your head it is so hard to dislodge it, despite an avalanche of real actual evidence to the contrary. There is also a teevee segment in that documentary that has Milk and Sally Gearhart debating Briggs. Milk and Gearhart have statistics on percentages of child molestation but Briggs keeps saying that you have to remove the homosexuals (from schools) to cut down on the risk. He has no studies or figures but is just banking on fear to promote a much larger agenda (of hatin' on the gays).
Anytime the innocent children are evoked in an emotional plea, look to see what the person is really pushing.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:12 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

pandacookie wrote:
I remember you posting about this in the thread about Jessica Valenti's book, and I replied with some info about J. Falwell and the Moral Majority. There was a npr segment this morning that mentioned Anita Bryant and I had forgotten that the anti-woman anti-gay group she started in the 70's was actually called Save Our Children. It's an emotional appeal designed to render any sort of facts or reality useless. And it is very very effective. If you've seen the Harvey Milk documentary (not the movie from the 00s), there's a great guy in it that worked on the Briggs initiative campaign who was a gay teacher who's job was threatened if that passed. And he says in that documentary something about how it was hard to fight against them because who can be against the children? Fear is maybe the most powerful motivator and once you get a kernel of untruth in your head it is so hard to dislodge it, despite an avalanche of real actual evidence to the contrary. There is also a teevee segment in that documentary that has Milk and Sally Gearhart debating Briggs. Milk and Gearhart have statistics on percentages of child molestation but Briggs keeps saying that you have to remove the homosexuals (from schools) to cut down on the risk. He has no studies or figures but is just banking on fear to promote a much larger agenda (of hatin' on the gays).
Anytime the innocent children are evoked in an emotional plea, look to see what the person is really pushing.

thanks for that info. I will look into Anita Bryant. I have not seen that Harvey Milk documentary so I will check that out as well. It is so true that fear is a powerful motivator and I feel like that is all I see lately with so many issues, and it's alarming that children can be used to tap into people's primal fears in that way and make them want to regulate and take precautions they might not normally take. You can see how people would think, "Ok, maybe this is over the top, but there might be a risk to our kids so we better not take the chance."

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:25 am 
Semen Strong

Quarantined wrote:
You can see how people would think, "Ok, maybe this is over the top, but there might be a risk to our kids so we better not take the chance."

Part of the problem is whose children are "our children"? Certainly not the children who are growing up in poverty (22% of the US pop. of children). There are so many real threats to real children that we ignore every day - including a lack of gun control, affordable insurance, middle class jobs, good schools and racism, homophobia, bullying, and poverty. To name a very few.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:41 am 
WELFARIST!

Apparently men getting raped is "LOL a mans dream, men can't be raped!1!1!111" http://womenspost.ca/articles/socialnet ... ape-victim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:19 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Right now middle school kids are challenging my feminism and the feminism of my 12 year old daughter. Some kids made rape jokes about a teacher, singled out the girl who told the teacher, and only received a day suspension. When Andie called the principle out on this, he just walked away. I am writing a letter to him about it today.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:46 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

god that's horrible. maybe some other people should receive copies of that letter [i am a big proponent of copies-to-local-groups-who-make-noise].

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:32 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I was thinking about contacting several local sexual assault groups. Including the one the 15 year old works with.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:19 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Quarantined wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

thanks for that info. I will look into Anita Bryant. I have not seen that Harvey Milk documentary so I will check that out as well. It is so true that fear is a powerful motivator and I feel like that is all I see lately with so many issues, and it's alarming that children can be used to tap into people's primal fears in that way and make them want to regulate and take precautions they might not normally take. You can see how people would think, "Ok, maybe this is over the top, but there might be a risk to our kids so we better not take the chance."

I only recommend looking into Anita Bryant if you want your head to hurt. She's a terrible person.
The Milk documentary is on youtube in bits and pieces and on hulu if you pay for their service. I think he was a brilliant man, so I recommend it to everyone.
It's also interesting how well that 'think of the children' plea works. It permeates the culture and both keeps people from talking to kids about real issues and promotes homophobic and racist and sexist agendas.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:14 pm 
WELFARIST!

This article about Left 4 Dead:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-life-less ... fanpage%2F

Quote:
#5. Stay Away from Crazy bisques
The Witch is a lot like that hot-but-borderline-anorexic chick from your freshman dorm. The one you'll get an instant crush on during orientation, but then one day, in the middle of the semester, you'll notice she hasn't bathed or changed clothes for three days. Her room is a mess of cigarette butts and uneaten pizza, and like the Witch in Left 4 Dead, she will absolutely destroy you. You need to stay away.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 pm 
Semen Strong

From Kate Harding's tumblr

"she saved two lives and all they care about is her nipple. this is sexism, my friends."
http://catchmeifyoucreon.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That is so bad, it's almost funny. The "nip slip" was the unfortunate part. Gotcha.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:19 pm 
WELFARIST!

Tofulish wrote:

"she saved two lives and all they care about is her nipple. this is sexism, my friends."

What??? ....how...

Are they serious?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:55 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:

That is...amazing. By which I mean, "incomprehensible."

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4090 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 164  Next