| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 165  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:27 am 
***LIES!!!***

Having a Facebook fight with a friend about me being "hypersensitive" about women in positions of power getting public "compliments" on their looks. When he posted something about how people are being hypersensitive, ten men responded "right on," I responded "wait just a sec, here's why this matters," one woman liked my comment and that was the whole conversation. I then posted a follow up article about it and he was like, "this is biased!" Are people aware of themselves at all?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i would venture, no, sadly. boooooo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:54 pm 
Chip Strong

This isn't so much a challenge as a feminist confusion.

I mentioned to someone I know recently that I'd been on a date with a woman (I am female) and he asked whether I "swing both ways". For some reason I felt uncomfortable with the way he phrased it but I don't know why! Does anyone else feel similarly annoyed by this phrase?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:03 pm 
Nailed to the V

Yes, I'm annoyed by it. I'm glad you can identify that something about that phrase makes you feel blech. I feel like 'swinging' is a strange verb in the context that it's used. Swinging, to me, means going back and forth, (and there's also the sex definition of switching partners.) I usually tell people who get caught up in the gender aspect of dating, that humans date humans, there is really no 'back and forth' aspect of it when there's no binary.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:20 pm 
WRETCHED

Swing both ways brings up images of doors that swing out and in, often used in kitchens. That is the only time I've heard that term used in it's original context. Basically, I think the term is meant to symbolize that you could go either way. Now whether that makes you feel uncomfortable, I can see but I'm not bisexual so I wouldn't have thought a problem with it. I also don't know if I would've used it as a phrase with someone when talking to them though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:22 pm 
Chip Strong

julialegume wrote:
Yes, I'm annoyed by it. I'm glad you can identify that something about that phrase makes you feel blech. I feel like 'swinging' is a strange verb in the context that it's used. Swinging, to me, means going back and forth, (and there's also the sex definition of switching partners.) I usually tell people who get caught up in the gender aspect of dating, that humans date humans, there is really no 'back and forth' aspect of it when there's no binary.

Thank you! That's really helpful. I've recently been belatedly politicised about genderqueer issues by a friend (even though I've been into LGBT stuff for years on a personal level, somehow genderqueer stuff totally passed me by) so this makes sense. Plus the sense of swinging as a temporary or confused thing.

The other thing which I've been thinking about since writing my first post is the instant unease I felt at how he seemed to be trying to be delicate about it, as though my sexuality was something I would (or should) be embarrassed about or ashamed of. Don't mention the s-word kind of thing (the sex word, not the other one).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Imogen wrote:
julialegume wrote:

Thank you! That's really helpful. I've recently been belatedly politicised about genderqueer issues by a friend (even though I've been into LGBT stuff for years on a personal level, somehow genderqueer stuff totally passed me by) so this makes sense. Plus the sense of swinging as a temporary or confused thing.

The other thing which I've been thinking about since writing my first post is the instant unease I felt at how he seemed to be trying to be delicate about it, as though my sexuality was something I would (or should) be embarrassed about or ashamed of. Don't mention the s-word kind of thing (the sex word, not the other one).

I agree with everything! The "back and forth" thing is particularly annoying, the other night I was talking to my sister about a girl I used to like, and she said "but then you realized you like dick, right?" and its hurtful. I didn't stop being queer when I started dating a guy.

Like its not acceptable to ask straight people to explain their sexuality, its kinda rude to ask anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

Shy Mox wrote:
I agree with everything! The "back and forth" thing is particularly annoying, the other night I was talking to my sister about a girl I used to like, and she said "but then you realized you like dick, right?" and its hurtful. I didn't stop being queer when I started dating a guy.

Like its not acceptable to ask straight people to explain their sexuality, its kinda rude to ask anyway.

I HATE that! I hate it on so many levels. First of all, I hate how it implies that all relationships boil down to sex. Then I hate it because I find it disrespectful to refer to people or relationships as dicks and vaginas and whatnot. We are more than our genitals! And, I hate when people use the term "swing both ways" because it sounds disrespectful and assumes there are only two rigid genders that exist. I have the capacity to love, have sex and appreciate anyone regardless of their gender identity!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:37 pm 
Impressive boner

Some guy at the pub on Friday night trying to assert that in any given scenario, men are physically stronger than women.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:06 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

he should have been at the bar with me last night, i was next to a guy that made me feel like an absolute moose. of course, he probably would have had something douchey to say about that guy too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

Ugh. Beer Should Be Like Violence: Domestic

It's a sign from a "local-organic-green" cafe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:08 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Ugh. Beer Should Be Like Violence: Domestic

It's a sign from a "local-organic-green" cafe.
The hell???

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:04 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Man that second sign is even more enraging than the first. Come on, you're a small organic restaurant in Houston, do you really think you can afford to pull that shiitake? Really?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:38 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Oh Louise Mensch, if I didn't know you better I'd think this was a parody.

http://unfashionistas.com/1145782

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:42 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

heh. I prefer to say "I didn't bother".

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:45 am 
Lime and a Coconut

8ball wrote:
Some guy at the pub on Friday night trying to assert that in any given scenario, men are physically stronger than women.

Did he demonstrate by pushing a small human out of his genitalia?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:05 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
8ball wrote:
Did he demonstrate by pushing a small human out of his genitalia?
Love.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:09 pm 
Semen Strong

Erika is the best <3

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:13 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

More Delhi rape victims - this time a 5 year old girl who was first kidnapped, and a 19 year old who was gang raped. I can't even. (Warning: lots of triggers.) Also, seriously, they put "rape" in quotes? To me, that sounds like the BBC is questioning whether that's the appropriate word to use. Newsflash: It's totally the right word to use.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-22212004

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:50 pm 
Semen Strong

That is the worst lutin.

Quote:
The [5 year old] girl was "conscious and alert" and her condition stable, but her injuries are infected and so severe she may need corrective surgery, an official of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences hospital told reporters.

Police identified the accused as a 22-year-old, who they said had fled the capital after leaving the girl for dead in an apartment of the same building where her family lives.B.N. Bansal, a doctor from the Swami Dayanand Hospital, where the girl was initially admitted, said on Friday that she had undergone an operation due to severe injuries.

"We found candles and an oil bottle from inside the child when we operated upon her," Bansal told reporters. "The next 48 hours will be crucial for her."

http://news.yahoo.com/indian-police-arr ... 48117.html

I've read that tourism to India has dropped by 25% among general travelers and 35% among female travelers in specific. I hope the loss of tourism dollars combined with internal pressure is enough to make the government take action to reform attitudes soon.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:55 pm 
WELFARIST!

From INSIDE of her? Am I reading that correctly???

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:09 pm 
Semen Strong

Yup. He raped her with objects. For 40 hours. Left her for dead when he was done.

Her family was offered $37 not to press charges.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:16 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

When I read about this in the news I just started crying. I don't even know what to say.

Tofulish wrote:
've read that tourism to India has dropped by 25% among general travelers and 35% among female travelers in specific. I hope the loss of tourism dollars combined with internal pressure is enough to make the government take action to reform attitudes soon.

I hope so, too. Money really is the motivating factor for so many govts. My husband and I had planned to visit India after we graduate. Not anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:40 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
Yup. He raped her with objects. For 40 hours. Left her for dead when he was done.

Her family was offered $37 not to press charges.
I really don't know what to say. This story makes me feel like I'm actually going to vomit. I'm just...no.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:30 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

While I freely admit to having spent much of today laughing at this, it's still some pretty disturbing shiitake. (I'm also bound to confess my main concern is the behavior of some of the students - who stabs a peanut butter cup? Definitely not having sex with that kid!)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/16/sex-ed-horror-stories-sexual-education-misinformation_n_3095039.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 165  Next