| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 165  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:05 pm 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3639
Location: Bella Napoli
lepelaar wrote:
A recently-added FB friend (a guy I knew in high school) keeps posting about "the Jills" and it took me a while to realize he was talking about the Buffalo Bills and thinks it's funny to refer to them as the Jills because they (apparently)* play badly. Hahaha... let's insult our local team by calling them by the name of their cheerleading squad. Ha ha ha... so funny.

*I say "apparently" because I don't give two shiitakes about football and have no idea which teams suck.

(Add this to his post about how sorry he is that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was caught because now the American taxpayer was going to have to pay for his defence, and how he likes Europe "except for the politics for the most part", and I think he's heading for either a hiding or a defriending pretty darned soon.)



What's wrong with that? I found tons not to like about European politics.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:45 am 
Offline
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 3080
Location: The Bene
annak wrote:
lepelaar wrote:
A recently-added FB friend (a guy I knew in high school) keeps posting about "the Jills" and it took me a while to realize he was talking about the Buffalo Bills and thinks it's funny to refer to them as the Jills because they (apparently)* play badly. Hahaha... let's insult our local team by calling them by the name of their cheerleading squad. Ha ha ha... so funny.

*I say "apparently" because I don't give two shiitakes about football and have no idea which teams suck.

(Add this to his post about how sorry he is that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was caught because now the American taxpayer was going to have to pay for his defence, and how he likes Europe "except for the politics for the most part", and I think he's heading for either a hiding or a defriending pretty darned soon.)



What's wrong with that? I found tons not to like about European politics.


I got the sense he meant it in the "all them Yurpeans are socialists and communists" kind of way.

_________________
Ain't no guarantees in life, and nothing that comes out of my vagina can change that. - Erika Soyf*cker

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona


Last edited by lepelaar on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:47 am 
Offline
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 3080
Location: The Bene
Oops. Double post.

_________________
Ain't no guarantees in life, and nothing that comes out of my vagina can change that. - Erika Soyf*cker

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:43 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4602
Location: Scotland
annak wrote:
What's wrong with that? I found tons not to like about European politics.

Because Europe is a country?

_________________
"Because sure, I like David Bowie, but not that much."

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:04 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5251
Location: A New England
interrobang?! wrote:
annak wrote:
What's wrong with that? I found tons not to like about European politics.

Because Europe is a country?
I thought it was the capitol of England??

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:27 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4602
Location: Scotland
Desdemona wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
annak wrote:
What's wrong with that? I found tons not to like about European politics.

Because Europe is a country?
I thought it was the capitol of England??
Englandshire *and* socialist?!?! I think my brain asploded at the very thought!

_________________
"Because sure, I like David Bowie, but not that much."

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:13 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5251
Location: A New England
interrobang?! wrote:
...Europe is a country?
I thought it was the capitol of England??[/quote]Englandshire *and* socialist?!?! I think my brain asploded at the very thought![/quote]What's your point???

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:42 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4602
Location: Scotland
interrobang?! wrote:
...Europe is a country?
Desdemona wrote:
I thought it was the capitol of England??
interrobang?! wrote:
Englandshire *and* socialist?!?! I think my brain asploded at the very thought!
Desdemona wrote:
What's your point???

Dunno, at least I almost got my quotes in order tho, eh?

_________________
"Because sure, I like David Bowie, but not that much."

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:52 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3561
Location: It's hot. All the time.
interrobang?! wrote:
annak wrote:
What's wrong with that? I found tons not to like about European politics.

Because Europe is a country?

Lard knows that we've had enough of Luxembourg.

_________________
A whole lot of access and privilege goes into being sanctimonious pricks J-Dub
Dessert is currently a big bowl of sanctimonious, passive aggressive vegan enduced boak. Fezza
You people are way less funny than Pandacookie. Sucks to be you.-interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:03 am 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5251
Location: A New England
Vantine wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
annak wrote:
What's wrong with that? I found tons not to like about European politics.

Because Europe is a country?

Lard knows that we've had enough of Luxembourg.
To say nothing of the tiny (but thuggish) principality of Monaco!

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:00 pm 
Offline
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 3080
Location: The Bene
No! We need Luxembourg, because otherwise I'd live in the Bene and that just sounds stupid.

_________________
Ain't no guarantees in life, and nothing that comes out of my vagina can change that. - Erika Soyf*cker

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:53 pm 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3639
Location: Bella Napoli
interrobang?! wrote:
annak wrote:
What's wrong with that? I found tons not to like about European politics.

Because Europe is a country?



Well, it has a parliament, and individual European countries have been under a lot of pressure to give up sovereignty to the EU on various issues..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:58 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4602
Location: Scotland
Hello, The Daily Mail.

_________________
"Because sure, I like David Bowie, but not that much."

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:06 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4602
Location: Scotland
(but honestly, inferring that 50 different countries are the same, politically or otherwise, is just bloody ridiculous)

_________________
"Because sure, I like David Bowie, but not that much."

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:19 pm 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3639
Location: Bella Napoli
And the socialists.

http://www.sp.nl/nieuws/actie/grondwet/ ... zegt.shtml

Quote:
(translation mine)

We have read this new European Constitution. Because if you had already planned to vote 'yes' on it, you need to understand what you are saying 'yes' to.

To begin with, you are saying 'yes' to more power in Brussels and less autonomy in your own land. In all areas.

You are saying 'yes' to even more free market and profit-driven economics; even in hospitals and clinics, home care, in schools and in universities. Market-driven healthcare and education.

'Yes' to an expensive European army, that can be sent anywhere. Even to wars outside Europe.

'Yes' to more social selling out. Our society will be threatened by a mishmash of asocial decisions in Brussels.

'Yes' to more influence for large countries like Germany and France, at the cost of smaller ones like ours. Picture Balkenende next to Chirac, Schroder and Berlusconi.

'Yes' to the permission of animal-exploiting "traditions" such as bull fights, boar hunts, and the force-feeding of gooses. These can be considered protected cultural heritage.

'Yes' to working harder for less money, less protection and less social security.

You see, 'yes' can be a dangerous word.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:33 pm 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3639
Location: Bella Napoli
interrobang?! wrote:
(but honestly, inferring that 50 different countries are the same, politically or otherwise, is just bloody ridiculous)



Of course, but they have plenty of things in common, and there are cultural influences you can look at from an American perspective (like lepelaar's friend) and see as unique. Though yes, countries are like unhappy families. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:43 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:41 am
Posts: 1556
Location: "HOLLAND"
Edited because never mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:53 pm 
Offline
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 3080
Location: The Bene
When my "friend" (scare quotes because I haven't actually spoken to him in about 30 years) posted that, I really don't think he meant that he disliked European politics in the sense of being anti-EU. It was in the context of riffing with a friend of his who actually called Obama "O-bummer". I think the subtelties of the sovereignety of various EU nations and the influence of the European parliament were perhaps lost on him.

_________________
Ain't no guarantees in life, and nothing that comes out of my vagina can change that. - Erika Soyf*cker

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:00 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4602
Location: Scotland
annak wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
(but honestly, inferring that 50 different countries are the same, politically or otherwise, is just bloody ridiculous)



Of course, but they have plenty of things in common, and there are cultural influences you can look at from an American perspective (like lepelaar's friend) and see as unique. Though yes, countries are like unhappy families. ;)

No, but, I don't get how you think so many different countries with different cultures have so much in common? We really do not share the same politics, or anything, for that matter.

And I think quoting an acknowledged anti-EU Dutch guy doesn't back up.... anything? Much? It's like if I quoted Nigel Farage as an authority on something other than his own ego.

_________________
"Because sure, I like David Bowie, but not that much."

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:48 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5185
Location: Gallifrey
This is still the feminism thread, right?

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:24 am 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 am
Posts: 966
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
The new report on plastic surgery trends in the UK made me sad. Upper arm lifts are now apparently the trendy way to mutilate yourself into a plastic clone!

Great analysis by Hadley Freeman in The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... emale-form

_________________
My blog about travel, campaigning, activism, vegan food and stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:18 am 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4602
Location: Scotland
Mr. Shankly wrote:
This is still the feminism thread, right?

Sure! Did you want to talk about something feminist-related at all?

_________________
"Because sure, I like David Bowie, but not that much."

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:55 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:32 pm
Posts: 410
A co-worker of mine recently got breast implants. She had "mosquito bites" before and was never happy with them. It makes me sad that she had to do that to feel good about her body, but the feminism-challenging part is that I kind of feel like I should be more supportive that she was able to make a change that she wanted (including paying for the $10K surgery herself) and resulted in better body image, but I secretly think that everything is wrong with her decision.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:56 pm 
Offline
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7275
Location: Portland
Yeah, I have real problems with the idea that a woman or women are somehow perceived as anti-feminist because of a choice they make with/on/about their own bodies.

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:06 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18749
Location: Cliffbar NJ
I have been wrestling with this piece by Kate Harding, which while about the choice to keep or change one's name after getting married, raises the question about which choices come from such a patriarchal context that they really can't be a feminist choice (which doesn't make the person making the choice any less of a feminist). I wonder if certain modifications to one's body are so much part of the social pressure on women to look a certain way that it isn't actually possible to make such a choice completely free of such context.

Quote:
feminism is not, in fact, all about choosing your choice. It is mostly about recognizing when things are forked up for women at the societal level, and talking about that, and trying to change it. So sometimes, even when a decision is right for you, you still need to recognize that you made that decision within a social context that overwhelmingly supports your choice, and punishes women who make a different one.


Quote:
So acting as though any of us can stand outside of that deeply sexist context and make a free, individual choice to take a man’s name is plainly forking ridiculous.


http://kateharding.info/2013/03/08/why- ... versation/

I'm not criticising anyone's choices. This piece has just stuck with me and some days I completely disagree and others I agree, and I'd be interested in what others think.

I also think its really important to remember that most of us make choices that are the best for us individually, but may not be perfect feminist choices, and that doesn't make us less feminist.

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 165  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer