| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 183  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:22 pm 
WRETCHED

Tofulish wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Why does the guy get to wear pants and the woman is wearing underwear? http://www.snorgtees.com/t-shirts/rex-a ... -attorneys

omg that is a cute T-shirt! (I know that wasn't the point, but AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!)

Was there a picture that is no longer there? I looked and I see the woman wearing shorts and then jeans but don't see underwear.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:25 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

New Special K commercial talking about "remember when we worried about swimming instead of our swimsuits? Let's go back to that by you eating Special K to lose weight and get a body acceptable to stuff into a swimsuit!" fork YOU, SPECIAL K.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:16 am 
Flounceiad 2011

DrakeRedcrest wrote:
New Special K commercial talking about "remember when we worried about swimming instead of our swimsuits? Let's go back to that by you eating Special K to lose weight and get a body acceptable to stuff into a swimsuit!" fork YOU, SPECIAL K.
STABBY MCSTABBERSON.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:21 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

linanil wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Why does the guy get to wear pants and the woman is wearing underwear? http://www.snorgtees.com/t-shirts/rex-a ... -attorneys

omg that is a cute T-shirt! (I know that wasn't the point, but AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!)

Was there a picture that is no longer there? I looked and I see the woman wearing shorts and then jeans but don't see underwear.

I just checked again and for me the fourth thumbnail shows her standing in black boy-cut underwear.

Edit: Oh sorry! I just reread and realized you saw the same picture but interpreted it differently. I guess they could be shorts!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:25 pm 
Dead by dawn

Dude on my bus this morning: "Yeah, man, fat chicks make the best girlfriends. 'Cause, you know, you can always turn out the lights to have sex with a fat chick. And fat chicks always have jobs, man..."

What a charmer.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:28 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

DrakeRedcrest wrote:

Special K really annoys me. It's the advert with the scale and they are pretending to say we are more than we weigh but then at the end it is like they have just turned round and said "lol, but you are totally fat and should eat special k so you can be skinny like you've always dreamed" and it just makes me roll my eyes now. Plus when I saw a nutritionist for my ED a few years back she told me that I would get more nutrition from the box than the actual cereal, so there is that.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

mandycoot wrote:
linanil wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

I just checked again and for me the fourth thumbnail shows her standing in black boy-cut underwear.

Edit: Oh sorry! I just reread and realized you saw the same picture but interpreted it differently. I guess they could be shorts!

Maybe we are interpreting it differently? I totally think it looks like underwear!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I saw shorts too.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:41 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

monkeytoes wrote:
Dude on my bus this morning: "Yeah, man, fat chicks make the best girlfriends. 'Cause, you know, you can always turn out the lights to have sex with a fat chick. And fat chicks always have jobs, man..."

What a charmer.

I don't even understand this. Any of it.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:58 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Sarah-Jane wrote:
DrakeRedcrest wrote:

Special K really annoys me. It's the advert with the scale and they are pretending to say we are more than we weigh but then at the end it is like they have just turned round and said "lol, but you are totally fat and should eat special k so you can be skinny like you've always dreamed" and it just makes me roll my eyes now. Plus when I saw a nutritionist for my ED a few years back she told me that I would get more nutrition from the box than the actual cereal, so there is that.

YES. If you want to market your food to me as healthy, tell me that hey, this has low sodium, or this will help lower your cholesterol. Don't shame me about my body.

I have never been happier in my life since I got rid of a scale and stopped weighing myself. I have stopped judging myself based on arbitrary numbers that mean nothing, and started judging myself based on the content of my character. And guess what I discovered! I am actually pretty great! I will put my body in whatever fabric coverings I want, and perhaps I will send a photo to Special K.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:44 pm 
Dead by dawn

j-dub wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

What a charmer.

I don't even understand this. Any of it.

I interpreted it as some kind of forked up conflating of size and lack of self-esteem. Like "'fat chicks' are so grateful for a boyfriend that they'll date/support a charmless waste of space like myself and all I have to do is turn out the lights so I don't actually have to look at them while I get laid. Win/win."

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:35 am 

I mean, I get the whole "fat chicks are desperate so I can be a complete and utter crasshole with little consequence" trope that goes around. I don't understand fat chicks all having jobs? Especially since larger folks are generally discriminated against in hiring practices? I mean, I guess asking this sizeist, misogynistic piece o'shiitake to a) know the statistics and b) use his pea-sized brain for anything but cruelty is asking a bit much but I still don't understand the connection between employment and being a "fat chick" (which is a subjective measure if I've ever heard one).

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:43 am 
WRETCHED

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Maybe we are interpreting it differently? I totally think it looks like underwear!

I wear boy shorts underwear and those just look longer than mine. They look more like fitted shorts to me but who knows.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:53 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

j-dub wrote:
I mean, I get the whole "fat chicks are desperate so I can be a complete and utter crasshole with little consequence" trope that goes around. I don't understand fat chicks all having jobs? Especially since larger folks are generally discriminated against in hiring practices? I mean, I guess asking this sizeist, misogynistic piece o'shiitake to a) know the statistics and b) use his pea-sized brain for anything but cruelty is asking a bit much but I still don't understand the connection between employment and being a "fat chick" (which is a subjective measure if I've ever heard one).

I think he's implying that "hot chicks" don't have to work because they can just make men buy them everything they need.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:50 am 
Flounceiad 2011

jordanpattern wrote:
j-dub wrote:

I think he's implying that "hot chicks" don't have to work because they can just make men buy them everything they need.
This thread is just making me stabbier and stabbier and stabbier.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:13 am 

Ah! Thank you. That would have never occurred to me.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:18 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I mean, by all means, crassholes of the world, go around and say shiitake like that. Because all it does is make it abundantly clear who I need to avoid and/or punch in the face. And dudes would be hella lucky to get with my jelly. Fat girl WHAT.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:05 pm 
Dead by dawn

paprikapapaya wrote:
I mean, by all means, crassholes of the world, go around and say shiitake like that. Because all it does is make it abundantly clear who I need to avoid and/or punch in the face. And dudes would be hella lucky to get with my jelly. Fat girl WHAT.

<3

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:07 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Pro-choice Americans challenge my freaking feminism! Anyone who supports abortion rights but doesn't do anything to support the cause might as well be "pro-life," if you ask me. There is no reason why so many abortion restrictions should be passed here when every statistic I've seen suggests that more than 50% of Americans do not want Roe v. Wade to be overturned.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

Jigglypuff wrote:
Pro-choice Americans challenge my freaking feminism! Anyone who supports abortion rights but doesn't do anything to support the cause might as well be "pro-life," if you ask me. There is no reason why so many abortion restrictions should be passed here when every statistic I've seen suggests that more than 50% of Americans do not want Roe v. Wade to be overturned.

I keep meeting people, mostly women, who claim to be pro-choice but support ideas like criminalizing miscarriage because they think doing so will 'punish' women who use drugs during pregnancy (?!?!?!?) I've stopped trying to make sense of the things they say. One of them once told me, "I'm pro-choice, but I also think that after you get a certain amount of abortions you should be sterilized."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:25 pm 
Semen Strong

I think people don't get that if you are pro-choice - which means that you leave the choice up to the woman and her MD - you are effectively saying "this is not a space for the state (me included) to be weighing in.

A friend of mine (who has twins) was upset at reading about a NYT article about a woman who voluntarily reduced her twin pregnancy, because she didn't feel like she could manage being the parent of twins. There are many reasons to reduce multiple pregnancies, and if you are pro-choice, you leave that decision to the woman, even if you might make a different decision in her shoes.

I am really interested by how apathetic people are about choice or birth control. It seems like the vast majority would agree that those things are important and many of us avail ourselves of birth control on a regular basis. And yet a small vocal minority keeps pushing for more state involvement for purely political and non-medical reasons (like with keeping Plan B from being OTC for minors). How do we let those people win?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:40 pm 
WRETCHED

Jigglypuff wrote:

I'd disagree, I'm not an activist type so I'm certainly not going to do something actively other than voting and that is more than I used to do.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

People who are pro choice still live in our culture which considers other women's bodies to be up for public debate and public decision making. So all that stuff which should be off the table for discussion - assisted reproduction, abortion, reducing multiples, making decisions about what you put in your body during pregnancy, even what you eat and how much weight you gain while pregnant - these are all fair topics in our culture, no matter how you'd vote on the issue of abortion itself. Also, there are plenty of people who call themselves pro choice who I really think just aren't; they're pro choice except for a million circumstances where they aren't, except for women who they think should be punished by childbirth (especially women who have multiple abortions), etc. there are plenty of pro choice people who also disagree that minors should be allowed to seek their own reproductive health care independently and especially that they should be able to cross state lines to do so. The anti choice crowd have been very successful at getting otherwise reasonable folk to see this as a parental rights issue rather than a reproductive freedom issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:16 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I sold some of my metalsmithing supplies today on Craigslist. I talked the guy through all the unfamiliar tools and the different kinds of hammers and chatted about his knifemaking hobby. My husband only came in near the end, and still when the guy paid he paid my husband and said he was "giving the money to the boss." Ugh!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:24 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Tofulish wrote:
I think people don't get that if you are pro-choice - which means that you leave the choice up to the woman and her MD - you are effectively saying "this is not a space for the state (me included) to be weighing in.

A friend of mine (who has twins) was upset at reading about a NYT article about a woman who voluntarily reduced her twin pregnancy, because she didn't feel like she could manage being the parent of twins. There are many reasons to reduce multiple pregnancies, and if you are pro-choice, you leave that decision to the woman, even if you might make a different decision in her shoes.

I am really interested by how apathetic people are about choice or birth control. It seems like the vast majority would agree that those things are important and many of us avail ourselves of birth control on a regular basis. And yet a small vocal minority keeps pushing for more state involvement for purely political and non-medical reasons (like with keeping Plan B from being OTC for minors). How do we let those people win?

A little off topic, but is it common to reduce multiple births? I mean, I know that multiple births aren't as common, but I've never heard of that. Not that that means anything, lots of things I've never heard of.

Also, Mandycoot, that sucks!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 183  Next