| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 147  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:37 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Me too.

I love how Sexist Lady looks like a total grumpypants, and the contributor on the left just shakes her head at her stupid claims.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:53 pm 
Semen Strong

janejellyroll wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:
Bill O'Reilly has said that women won't use birth control because they're "blasted out of their minds" when they have sex, and now this jackass has compared no co-pay birth control to the government paying for manicures and pedicures. fork off.

http://www.blogforchoice.com/archives/2 ... ontri.html

Oh my god, this makes me so angry.

Oh my holy fuckingcrap. I hadn't realized the speaker was a woman, and a woman of color no less. I want to punch her in the face. Repeatedly.

Sandy Rios wrote:
Rios also suggested that young women are better off just having babies than having safe sex: "Having a baby is not the worst thing. I think having multiple sex partners without any kind of restraint or responsibility is much more damning."

So no contraception, cuz all y'all is sluts. Okay, but how does that justify not covering breast-pumps and counseling for abuse? Logically, if you want people to have babies, help them by helping them breast-feed and be safe, or if you don't want them to have abortions, fund birth control. But this makes no logical sense.

And somehow there is always a bigger crasshole:
Quote:
GOP Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) suggested that providing free birth control would lead to the end of the entire human race. "If you applied that preventative medicine universally what you end up with is you've prevented a generation. Preventing babies from being born is not medicine.

http://www.salon.com/news/healthcare_re ... guidelines

Part of me hopes that people realize that these forkers are trying to ban contraception, which affects almost all women and men, and that people turn against them. But part of me is jaded and cynical.

I hate Fox and I hate Rupert Murdoch for inflicting these assblisters on us.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:43 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

No, Tofulish! It's the white contributor who was being shitty. The black lady is awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:53 pm 
Semen Strong

Jigglypuff wrote:
No, Tofulish! It's the white contributor who was being shitty. The black lady is awesome.

I had assumed Sandy Rios was Hispanic (even though she looks white) but can't find any support for it on the internet, which I should have looked for first before assuming. I fail.

Also, where the fork is birthcontrol $9 a month? I got mine through PP 3 years ago and it was cheap -$27 per month, about half of what it was without insurance (around $56) I think.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:57 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I know when I look back to all the safe sex I had with various guys, "blasted" and not, when I was single, I think, "Wow, I wish I'd avoided all that and instead gotten unintentionally pregnant and maybe a bonus STD. It's not the worst thing. And that fun, fun sex was so damning."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:58 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Tofulish wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:
Also, where the fork is birthcontrol $9 a month? I got mine through PP 3 years ago and it was cheap -$27 per month, about half of what it was without insurance (around $56) I think.

My birth control pills have a $10 co-pay per pack. I'm on my parents' insurance. It used to be $5 a pack; I'm not sure what changed. I live in California, if that's relevant at all. $27 a month is so expensive!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:03 pm 
Semen Strong

That was without insurance. I gather Sandy Rios meant that bc pills are $9 a pack with insurance - meaning I fail yet again. Time to get off the interwebz and have a nap.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:10 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Tofulish wrote:
Sandy Rios wrote:
Rios also suggested that young women are better off just having babies than having safe sex: "Having a baby is not the worst thing. I think having multiple sex partners without any kind of restraint or responsibility is much more damning."

So no contraception, cuz all y'all is sluts. Okay, but how does that justify not covering breast-pumps and counseling for abuse? Logically, if you want people to have babies, help them by helping them breast-feed and be safe, or if you don't want them to have abortions, fund birth control. But this makes no logical sense.

I wonder what their stance on breast pumps, or rather mothers being able to do things like return to work with an infant in the house, actually is. Silly me, thinking using contraception was taking responsibility. I'll just have to tell the ol' sex partner not to bother. A woman like myself has no place in grad school anyhow, and should have gotten knocked up ages ago. It boils down to sex being only for procreation in the end, I think.

Tofulish wrote:
And somehow there is always a bigger crasshole:
Quote:
GOP Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) suggested that providing free birth control would lead to the end of the entire human race. "If you applied that preventative medicine universally what you end up with is you've prevented a generation. Preventing babies from being born is not medicine.

So wait...does that also apply to abstinence, which, if it actually worked, would also prevent babies from being "born"? Of course, that's not really what this is about at all - again, can't have sex without procreation!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Target and Walmart have generics of Ortho-Cyclen and Ortho Tri Cyclen (Sprintec and Tri Sprintec.) I'm just now stopping the Sprintec after 4 years, I liked it a lot, but different pills work for different people, and only two options are not going to work for everyone, so two stores selling two types of BCP for $9 is not a solution to much of anything.

ETA google tells me Kroger, Kmart and Sam's Club carry them too, though some of the stores had them at $10.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:35 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Her.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/20 ... -new-voice

Apparently she's behind 22 of the 86 anti-abortion laws passed this year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:21 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Jigglypuff wrote:
Her.

She is a scary person. But I honestly could not read past the phrase "pro-abortion". I am so tired of that phrase. I think that phrase challenges my feminism. (not really)

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:25 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

kfad wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:
Her.

She is a scary person. But I honestly could not read past the phrase "pro-abortion". I am so tired of that phrase. I think that phrase challenges my feminism. (not really)

Is that phrase used? I remember seeing a lot of "pro-abortion rights" and "antiabortion", presumably to skirt around the terms "pro-choice" and "pro-life", which can be seen as inflammatory (or something).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:38 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

Jigglypuff wrote:
Her.

If I'm reading this correctly, she should be working on anti-miscarriage laws instead.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:57 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

She reminds me of Michelle Duggar. Michelle had a miscarriage, then decided contraceptives were terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Guhblam! I have a relative who did the same damn thing, had a miscarriage and decided that because she couldn't have that baby, all other women need to have all babies ever, with no choice. I seriously don't see it, what makes someone so mean and selfish that they go "my reproductive choice was taken away by the randomness of the universe/god/whatever, so therefore I'm going to take away everyone elses reproductive choice."

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:17 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Jigglypuff wrote:
kfad wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:
Her.

Is that phrase used? I remember seeing a lot of "pro-abortion rights" and "antiabortion", presumably to skirt around the terms "pro-choice" and "pro-life", which can be seen as inflammatory (or something).

It's not that they're inflammatory, it's that "pro-choice" is sometimes taken to absurd extremes by anti-choicers (for example I've faced this multiple times: "well, it's a choice to beat your children, I guess you're pro-that choice too?" which is, of course, absurd and argued in bad faith) and the "pro-life" faction is, of course, anti-quality of life, often truly anti-women's life in pursuit of the fetus.

I use pro-choice because I do think it's an important term with an important history (and because I am pro-whatever choice each woman decides is best for her) and anti-choice because that is, ultimately, what they are.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:38 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

[quote="j-dub
She is a scary person. But I honestly could not read past the phrase "pro-abortion". I am so tired of that phrase. I think that phrase challenges my feminism. (not really)[/quote]
Is that phrase used? I remember seeing a lot of "pro-abortion rights" and "antiabortion", presumably to skirt around the terms "pro-choice" and "pro-life", which can be seen as inflammatory (or something).[/quote]
It's not that they're inflammatory, it's that "pro-choice" is sometimes taken to absurd extremes by anti-choicers (for example I've faced this multiple times: "well, it's a choice to beat your children, I guess you're pro-that choice too?" which is, of course, absurd and argued in bad faith) and the "pro-life" faction is, of course, anti-quality of life, often truly anti-women's life in pursuit of the fetus.

I use pro-choice because I do think it's an important term with an important history (and because I am pro-whatever choice each woman decides is best for her) and anti-choice because that is, ultimately, what they are.[/quote]

This is pretty much how I feel, and the words I prefer to use. "Pro-abortion" feels as infammatory as the "are you pro-beat-your-kids-choice too". It feels as extreme as that to me. In part because I have been confronted by right-to-lifers who don't or won't distiguish choice (all birthing or not choices) from abortion.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Adding my sister to the list, if I have already she deserves to be on twice. A guy passed out in front of the bar where she works, so some other guy stuck his genitals in his mouth and she was laughing and saying how everyone around was taking pictures and crying from laughing. Yeah, sexual assault is hilarious.

Gloria Steinem was on Colbert last night and I have no idea what she said because my sister immediately started making fun of her appearance, particularly the lack of colour in her lips (??), saying how she's stuck in the seventies. Apparently because Steinem didn't like American Psycho that means she's a prude and we owe nothing to her. She said "I can't take feminists. I am NOT a feminist."

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:55 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I just found out that my sister (17 years old) told one of her friends to beat another girl up, and she ended up in the hospital. When I said "that is awful", my other sister (15) responded with "yeah, well she's a dumb bop." ("Bop" = "slut". They have weird slang.) You know misogyny is rampant when you've even got girls hurting other girls for being too "slutty".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:52 am 
ol' garly cooch

Fataphobes. Being thin doesn't always mean you have a clean bill of health and being fat doesn't mean you are going to die.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:25 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I need to revive this. Because I just had a massive challenge not only to my feminism but to my upchuck urge as well.

A coworker (female) just walked in to start her day at the office with the sentence "I just saw a hooker. She had to be a hooker. No good girls dress like that".

It drives me mad that any human being should be told that their morality is tied to their clothing. That we can't move past judging people on what they wear and how they wear it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm with you on that! Did anyone even respond to her? That would've been great if it were met with deafening silence.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:30 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I just stared at her. Didn't say anything.

Because, really, what do you say to such judgment?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

kfad wrote:
I just stared at her. Didn't say anything.

Because, really, what do you say to such judgment?

I usually ask people to explain what they mean until it's apparently that they are being an asshat. "What do you mean? I don't understand why you thought she was a hooker?" "Why would that mean she was not a good girl?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:09 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I would likely have glared and said something snippy about how "good" people are sex workers.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 3653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 147  Next