| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 181  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:19 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Wow, it just never occurred to me that girl crush has homophobic undertones. It actually really bothers me that I never thought about if the term was problematic. I only thought maybe the term sounded silly and trivialized relationships between and among women (girl =childish/not serious).

I think I'll still use crush, just not with any descriptors (except maybe friend). I think cherish or revere might be too intense for me ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:46 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

"girl crush" was always weird to me. I'm bisexual and if I got a crush on someone, I just got a crush. Though to me having a crush =/= sexual interest

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:13 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I never thought of girl crush as having homophobic undertones either, or really the dumbing down ones. But I have only ever heard/used the term among a group of women. No skin off my nose to not use it though, so I'll just find something else.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:12 pm 
Semen Strong

Roseanne Barr says its okay to make rape jokes: http://www.thedailybeast.com/witw/artic ... jokes.html

And criticizes Lindy West for her privilege.

Quote:
The troublesome part of Lindy’s “argument” with her white male comic cohorts is that it’s taking place at a time when people are being arrested off America’s streets for little more than being part of a particular ethnic or racial group. Anyone who targets any group or type of artist for being “too offensive” is helping to move public opinion away from freedom and toward the tyranny of surveillance.

Please know that when you address yourself to “white male comics,” lots of us out here are a little bit disturbed at this distinction. It’s privileged thinking to be unaware of the plight of working-class boys and young men in America, those who are being locked up for pot so that they can, at the height of their physical strength, work in privatized prisons for corporations that pay them less than 20 cents per hour. Most of the house paint sold in America is now made by prison labor, in what would be called a Labor Camp, back in the days of the German “Homeland.”

Bam! Reductio ad Hitlerum. Roseanne Barr is the new Whoopi Goldberg.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:19 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I think "girl crush" is super offensive and heterosexist so I'm glad to see it being talked about.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:37 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Tofulish wrote:
Roseanne Barr says its okay to make rape jokes: http://www.thedailybeast.com/witw/artic ... jokes.html

Quote:
The troublesome part of Lindy’s “argument” with her white male comic cohorts is that it’s taking place at a time when people are being arrested off America’s streets for little more than being part of a particular ethnic or racial group. Anyone who targets any group or type of artist for being “too offensive” is helping to move public opinion away from freedom and toward the tyranny of surveillance.

Please know that when you address yourself to “white male comics,” lots of us out here are a little bit disturbed at this distinction. It’s privileged thinking to be unaware of the plight of working-class boys and young men in America, those who are being locked up for pot so that they can, at the height of their physical strength, work in privatized prisons for corporations that pay them less than 20 cents per hour. Most of the house paint sold in America is now made by prison labor, in what would be called a Labor Camp, back in the days of the German “Homeland.”

Ugh. Roseanne! She's also a transmisogynist. (She tweeted a few times about how she doesn't consider trans women to really be women).
It's always so disappointing when stuff like this happens.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I like how she also conveniently leaves out that white men receive lighter sentences and black people are far more likely to be incarcerated and exploited in the prison system.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:04 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

strawberryrock wrote:
I think "girl crush" is super offensive and heterosexist so I'm glad to see it being talked about.

I totally agree, and just upthread I said I have used the term. I just never thought about it before someone mentioned it here. It's a good reminder that we're all a work in progress and even someone who considers them to be a lgbtq ally can use terms that are offensive, unknowingly/ignorantly, without meaning harm. And it's good to learn, and discussions like this are important.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:57 pm 
Chip Strong

I am so disheartened to learn of Roseanne's opinions. As a working class woman who has been raped, I find her comments offensive and disgusting on so many levels.

And her opinion on trans women -fuck! Way to betray the sisterhood that supported you Roseanne! Didn't she get a lot of support in her early days from lgtbq clubs?

Sorry if that sounded harsh, I'm just very upset by this. And offended on behalf of all women.

Last edited by jean on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:05 pm 
Dead by dawn

paprikapapaya wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

I totally agree, and just upthread I said I have used the term. I just never thought about it before someone mentioned it here. It's a good reminder that we're all a work in progress and even someone who considers them to be a lgbtq ally can use terms that are offensive, unknowingly/ignorantly, without meaning harm. And it's good to learn, and discussions like this are important.

Yup. Every single last one of us needs a reminder to step outside of our own perspective once in awhile.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm not even sure if Roseanne's point is just going over my head or if it's as foolish as it sounds. Is she saying that it's not okay to criticize white men because some of them are working-class men who are forced to do prison labor? 'Cause I'm pretty sure it's mostly men of color who are targeted for this shiitake, so what she's saying is fairly useless.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:57 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

paprikapapaya wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

Yes, I had used the term and never really thought about it. I have learnt a great deal from this discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:00 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Interesting Ted talk about rape. (If you've seen it, what do you think of it?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElJxUVJ8blw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:07 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

jogirl wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

Yes, I had used the term and never really thought about it. I have learnt a great deal from this discussion.

Same.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:59 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

jogirl wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

+ 1 yummy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:43 pm 
***LIES!!!***

lutin wrote:
Interesting Ted talk about rape. (If you've seen it, what do you think of it?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElJxUVJ8blw

I really liked this. It was linked to on the Sociological Images blog, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:46 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:

Quote:

I don't even understand this. Is her argument that any critique of someone else's speech is an assault on free speech in general? And that an assault on free speech is a vote in favor of government surveillance? I'm not sure what other argument she's trying to make.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:39 pm 
WELFARIST!

Ugh, c'mon Roseanne! Seriously?

I think this is a good time to remember that women who stand on a platform and are supported to the top (she didn't get where she is on her own) can turn around and stab those same people in the back once they've firmly planted their feet at the top. It's really depressing to see it happen and I hope it reminds people to never forget where you came from and to support those who are still struggling. The fight isn't for you alone, it's for all of us.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:25 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I thought this was a really interesting article!

http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/06/when-wo ... et-it.html

This part especially:
Quote:
Think about it: Women want sex, and in particular, they want sex with people who really want them. But socially, many straight men still find it a turnoff when women are sexual aggressors. Which means that, for women, aggressively pursuing the thing they want actually leads to them not getting it... The thing women are told they can access any time is, maddeningly, often just out of reach.

This definitely echoes my experience of online dating last year when I was a single lady! Guys were often put off, even slightly, by me being the aggressor or instigator and asking them out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:13 am 
WELFARIST!

I only recognized one line from this whole thing because I don't listen to Taylor Swift but that one line was hilarious. https://twitter.com/feministtswift

Quote:
We are never ever ever / going to dictate how you present your gender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:43 pm 
Impressive boner

I encountered a man at a bus stop who inspected my appearance, asked me personal questions and touched my face. I caught myself thinking that maybe it was because he was elderly and maybe it was because it was his culture, but fork that - it's not my culture! My body isn't public property! I walked away very quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This is an awful case: teacher fired because her abusive ex-husband was threatening her and showed up at her school.

On the one hand, this woman took steps to protect herself and notified her school of the restraining orders and threats. She did everything right and has been punished for being a victim.

http://news.msn.com/us/teacher-fired-be ... -husband-1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:48 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I am tired of people referring to "slut shaming." That word is a forking slur! Stop using it! If someone uses a woman's gender and sexuality to degrade her, they are being misogynistic. End of story, no trendy terms necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:07 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Too late to edit, but I want to clarify that my post wasn't aimed at anyone here.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:24 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Jigglypuff wrote:
I am tired of people referring to "slut shaming." That word is a forking slur! Stop using it! If someone uses a woman's gender and sexuality to degrade her, they are being misogynistic. End of story, no trendy terms necessary.
I agree. Hate speech is hate speech, and I don't think "reclaiming" language that has been specifically devised and deployed to shame, denigrate, and hurt people is a particularly worthwhile endeavor, even if it were realistically possible (which I doubt). In fact, keeping these words around in a desperate attempt to massage them into meaning something that everyone knows they do not (and the more hateful they are, the more this is the case) inadvertently reifies their original meaning by the act of bringing attention to them. There are an enormous number of words in our language; we can easily afford to dispense with some of the ugliest and most hurtful ones.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 181  Next