| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 165  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:11 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The other night my boyfriend and I went to dinner with his best friend and his fiance. We were walking out to the parking lot and we were behind a couple....the woman was tiny and slender, wearing knee-boots and leggings with her outfit.

As soon as we got in the car the fiance started in on the woman, using words like, "slutty" and "skinny bisque." I was floored at the complete hate that was coming out of her mouth. She doesn't even know this "skinny bisque!" I called her on it and she admitted that she was jealous that she didn't look like that, and then continued with the hate-talk. I just couldn't believe that she would talk such crepe, admit to why she was doing it, and then keep on doing it.

Woman-on-woman jealously hate is the worst.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I didnt want to make a thread in here, but I figured you feminists would like this:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eve-ensle ... 89013.html
(rape culture rant)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:27 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

rocklobster wrote:
I didnt want to make a thread in here, but I figured you feminists would like this:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eve-ensle ... 89013.html
(rape culture rant)

That was good and on point.
I just read a newsarticle... local... about an assault that happened on campus. The little bit at the end made me angry even thought it was all good advice. The end bit was "how to stay safe". All I could think was "Don't Rape". I should be able to walk where and when I want. But all of that advice would work to prevent getting mugged as well.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:09 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

often it's other women who say things like "well i'm not a feminist or anything," as a pre-cursor to a statement about wanting equality or respect between sexes.

I want to scream, "NEWSFLASH: that IS being a feminist!"

"Being a feminist" has gotten so wrapped up in cultural trappings that people associate it with negativity and hatred.

Meanwhile you would never hear someone say, "Well I don't believe in civil rights or anything but", as a precursor to a statement about wanting equality or respect between races.

"It's very dear to me, the issue of GAY MARRIAGE. Or, as I like to call it: 'MARRIAGE.' You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch. I parked my car; I didn't gay park it." -Liz Feldman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:15 pm 
Semen Strong

eatmonaeat wrote:
Meanwhile you would never hear someone say, "Well I don't believe in civil rights or anything but", as a precursor to a statement about wanting equality or respect between races.

+1

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:16 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I think sometimes people just think they need to know more about what feminism is before declaring themselves feminist.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

fezza wrote:
I think sometimes people just think they need to know more about what feminism is before declaring themselves feminist.

i think its more that calling yourself a feminist is like this big taboo and means you hate all men and want to dress all butch and youre no fun. i went through a phase where i wouldnt say it, but im happy to say ive since grown up and fess up to loving equality.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:35 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

People who use the term "real women."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

jordanpattern wrote:

Ugh, I am so sick of that term. I can't think of any context in which I'd be thrilled with it, but I get especially annoyed when it's used by otherwise feminist types, talking about female bodies. "Real women have curves" etc. Garrumph.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:26 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Yup. I'd really like if we could move past that kind of exclusionary definition of womanhood.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:02 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

EmJaeDee wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

Ugh, I am so sick of that term. I can't think of any context in which I'd be thrilled with it, but I get especially annoyed when it's used by otherwise feminist types, talking about female bodies. "Real women have curves" etc. Garrumph.

+1,000,000. Aside from the fact that some people are just naturally very thin, are women who have little body fat because of starvation or illness not "real" women anymore?

My own contribution: it drives me nuts when I hear women describe other women as "bisques" or "croissants," especially if the name-caller identifies themself as a feminist. Seriously........no. Don't do that.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:10 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

jordanpattern wrote:
Yup. I'd really like if we could move past that kind of exclusionary definition of womanhood.

Real women like exclusionary definitions of womanhood.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:35 pm 

My grandmother says women shouldn't work because we are 'taking all the good jobs from men.' and that we shouldn't be allowed to serve because it's a 'man's job'

augh.

http://www.beyondwillpower.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:26 pm 
ugh

j-dub wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

Real women like exclusionary definitions of womanhood.

<3

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

beyondwillpower wrote:
My grandmother says women shouldn't work because we are 'taking all the good jobs from men.' and that we shouldn't be allowed to serve because it's a 'man's job'

augh.

Oh.my.goodness. I don't know what I would've done if my grandmother said that to me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:43 pm 

masuphl wrote:
beyondwillpower wrote:

augh.

Oh.my.goodness. I don't know what I would've done if my grandmother said that to me.

She's batty.

http://www.beyondwillpower.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:49 am 
Lime and a Coconut

rocklobster wrote:
fezza wrote:

i think its more that calling yourself a feminist is like this big taboo and means you hate all men and want to dress all butch and youre no fun. i went through a phase where i wouldnt say it, but im happy to say ive since grown up and fess up to loving equality.

Me too! What changed my mind was seeing a video clip of Gloria Steinem explaining that feminism "isn't a PR campaign, it's a movement."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:50 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I really dislike it when people use the word "raped" like "I just raped that test!" or "I just Facebook raped so-and-so!" It's troublesome and tasteless.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:10 am 
Naked Under Apron

Jigglypuff wrote:
I really dislike it when people use the word "raped" like "I just raped that test!" or "I just Facebook raped so-and-so!" It's troublesome and tasteless.

Yes, completely shitty way to describe something that is as unlike actual rape as to exist in an alternate dimension!

Mat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:22 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Jigglypuff wrote:

Woah, that is forked up. Who says that?!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, "fraping" (Facebook raping) is a thing with the kids. I find it abhorrent. Someone hacking your FB and embarrassing you is in no way comparable to rape.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:08 am 
ugh

couroupita wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:

Woah, that is forked up. Who says that?!

I hear it in sports a lot - team such-and-such "raped" their opponent (meaning they won by a large margin). Gross.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:20 am 
Naked Under Apron

rachell37 wrote:
Yeah, "fraping" (Facebook raping) is a thing with the kids. I find it abhorrent. Someone hacking your FB and embarrassing you is in no way comparable to rape.

wow. i'm so very glad i cancelled my facespace account. this just gives me one more reason i'm glad i did it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:59 am 
Lime and a Coconut

I actually called out the last person who I heard using 'rape' in an inappropriate, hyperbolic context, and was pleasantly surprised that he was immediately contrite. He was basically saying how the government had 'raped' him, and I said "I really don't like for people to use that word casually or inappropriately." And he paused, really gave a thought to what he had just said (as in, I could almost see the thought passing over his eyes it was such a moment), and then said "I'm sorry."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:30 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Last night my sister was telling me about a conversation she was having with one other woman and two men on Facebook. About how she doesn't want equality because there are some things men are better at. I said "so you find it fine that men are paid more than women for the same job?" She said it depends on the job and if she was a miner, men should be paid more than her.

Sometimes (frequently) I want to smack her. She also uses rape in a similar way to the last few posts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 165  Next