| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 165  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:24 pm 
Cranky

pandacookie wrote:
Whoops! Cross posted with the good Dr. A.
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne manor....

I think that post was entirely appropriate! Onward and upward.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:25 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

pandacookie wrote:
molasses jane wrote:
Also, love the Hothead Paisan reference, Pandacookie. Chicken!

Chicken>Lacan all day, any day.

LOVE
(this dates both of us)
(and am in town)
(and i want to commission you to make a plush of my dachshund)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:58 pm 
Semen Strong

molasses jane wrote:
. The point is that AB wrote here thinking this was a safe space, and saying she felt very unsafe and harassed. And then was taken apart in personal, dismissive, and frankly, I think, condescending, ways over her wording. That's the point.

Is this a safe space thread? I have always thought it was a space for critical discussion of feminist issues including what constitutes harassment.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:59 pm 
Semen Strong

Oops sorry Dr. A! Hadn't seen your post and had a weird phone glitch

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:50 pm 
Semen Strong

Ladies, check your DOB before wearing skimpy clothing, because no matter how good you look, you are unfit to wear anything sexy once you're over 34 (aka your sell by date) http://jezebel.com/your-wizened-35-year ... -686875688

Quote:
Women should ditch crop tops by the age of 34 (even if they have a stomach like Gwen Stefani) and bikinis at 40
Miniskirts and belly button piercings should be avoided after mid-thirties
Leggings should hit the bin by 37 and stilettos are a no-go at 41

I am 41 and haven't ever worn any of those things (except stilettos which are now a no-go after knee surgery), but now I feel like I might have to start....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:12 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

QUICK everybody tell Gwen Stefani and Madonna to stop showing their belly! My mother is 59 years old, and she wears four-inch heels to work every single day. I double dare the Daily Mail to tell her she shouldn't wear them. I love (HATEHATEHATE) this idea that there is an expiry date on different types of clothing. I get that there are accepted modes of dress for different situations, but everyone needs to get off this idea that people, and women in particular, have to dress a certain way according to their age (AND BODY TYPE).

This is sort of tangentially related to this thread: I often struggle with finding new shows, movies, etc. to get into because I am sensitive to depictions of sexual violence, much more than I am to "regular" (?) violence. I find that, with American or Canadian network TV shows, I understand the ratings enough that I can pretty much always tell what is a safe bet. With movies it's a bit more difficult but I'm usually fine. However, once I get out of those categories, it becomes more difficult.

For example, I wanted to watch and read Game of Thrones. I know that we have many PPKers who are fans of the series, so of course you can guess how that worked out for me. Same thing with the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Another example is comics or manga... I'm not aware of much in the way of content ratings for that sort of thing, so what I end up doing is searching for spoilers for the series in question, which bugs the hell out of me.

I wish that we could live in a world where depictions of sexual violence weren't so common? I guess for me, I accept it being part of a character's story, because I think that there are a lot of important stories to be told about this sort of thing, but I do not want to actually SEE it. And sometimes it totally comes out of nowhere, and I end up feeling pretty awful for a while.

I know this is pretty silly and that I'm probably just really oversensitive. At least my beloved video games have lists of the "objectionable content" on the box with the age rating. That helps me out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I work in a thrift store and lots of women over forty come in and try on mini skirts and ask me what I think, and most of them rock it. Fabulous has no age limit.

DrakeRedcrest wrote:
QUICK everybody tell Gwen Stefani and Madonna to stop showing their belly! My mother is 59 years old, and she wears four-inch heels to work every single day. I double dare the Daily Mail to tell her she shouldn't wear them. I love (HATEHATEHATE) this idea that there is an expiry date on different types of clothing. I get that there are accepted modes of dress for different situations, but everyone needs to get off this idea that people, and women in particular, have to dress a certain way according to their age (AND BODY TYPE).

This is sort of tangentially related to this thread: I often struggle with finding new shows, movies, etc. to get into because I am sensitive to depictions of sexual violence, much more than I am to "regular" (?) violence. I find that, with American or Canadian network TV shows, I understand the ratings enough that I can pretty much always tell what is a safe bet. With movies it's a bit more difficult but I'm usually fine. However, once I get out of those categories, it becomes more difficult.

For example, I wanted to watch and read Game of Thrones. I know that we have many PPKers who are fans of the series, so of course you can guess how that worked out for me. Same thing with the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Another example is comics or manga... I'm not aware of much in the way of content ratings for that sort of thing, so what I end up doing is searching for spoilers for the series in question, which bugs the hell out of me.

I wish that we could live in a world where depictions of sexual violence weren't so common? I guess for me, I accept it being part of a character's story, because I think that there are a lot of important stories to be told about this sort of thing, but I do not want to actually SEE it. And sometimes it totally comes out of nowhere, and I end up feeling pretty awful for a while.

I know this is pretty silly and that I'm probably just really oversensitive. At least my beloved video games have lists of the "objectionable content" on the box with the age rating. That helps me out.

You're not alone! GoT seems right up my alley, but then I saw a rape scene and was like NOPE. With manga recently I've been sticking to shojo just to be safe.

I remember a while ago there was a blog post that was a list of rape free horror movies, and it was super useful! Should start one that has a whole host of genres.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:56 pm 

I remember that post about horror movies! I have been thinking for a while that maybe I could start a small blog where I just cataloged things I have seen or read that are free of sexual violence. I wonder if I could get a group of people together who would be willing to work on such a thing? It's not the most important thing in the world, but I feel like, if there could be a resource like that, it might make peoples' lives a little brighter by reducing the number of times they might be triggered while trying to be entertained.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:01 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

DrakeRedcrest wrote:
I remember that post about horror movies! I have been thinking for a while that maybe I could start a small blog where I just cataloged things I have seen or read that are free of sexual violence. I wonder if I could get a group of people together who would be willing to work on such a thing? It's not the most important thing in the world, but I feel like, if there could be a resource like that, it might make peoples' lives a little brighter by reducing the number of times they might be triggered while trying to be entertained.

I think that would be cool! It could be easily done too as a submission blog, like the bechdel test website or the women in refrigerators. You could have ratings or descriptions so people can decided if they can handle it or not (like, "rape scene" or "characters often use racial slurs" and so on).

After some googling it seems someone proposed an app idea like that, it seems for movies, but I think an all around website would be great.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:37 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Vantine wrote:
Nice job,AP -

Quote:
As she spoke late into the night railing against proposed abortion restrictions, a former Texas teen mom catapulted from little-known junior state senator to national political superstar in pink running shoes.

Wendy Davis needed last-minute help from shrieking supporters to run out the clock on the special session of the state Legislature and kill the contentious and sweeping bill, but her old-fashioned filibuster earned her widespread praise from fellow abortion-rights supporters — including a salute from President Barack Obama.

Because who cares that she went to Harvard when she is a former Teen Mom (like on TV!) and when we can talk about what she wore.

I highlighted some of the best sexist bits for your enjoyment.

I'm actually going to defend the pink shoes bit. The shoes have become a huge symbol of what she did. They're her super hero cape. The amazon reviews for the shoes are fantastic. http://www.amazon.com/Mizuno-Womens-Wav ... izuno+pink

The teen mom bit is ridiculous. She was 19, an age which, while young, isn't really what we think of as a teenager. She was an adult.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:17 pm 

Shy Mox wrote:
DrakeRedcrest wrote:

I think that would be cool! It could be easily done too as a submission blog, like the bechdel test website or the women in refrigerators. You could have ratings or descriptions so people can decided if they can handle it or not (like, "rape scene" or "characters often use racial slurs" and so on).

After some googling it seems someone proposed an app idea like that, it seems for movies, but I think an all around website would be great.

I'm gonna do it! I will start with tumblr just because I'm familiar with the ask and submission stuff on there. Thank you for your support and ideas, Shy Mox!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:31 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

mollyjade wrote:
Vantine wrote:

I'm actually going to defend the pink shoes bit. The shoes have become a huge symbol of what she did. They're her super hero cape. The amazon reviews for the shoes are fantastic. http://www.amazon.com/Mizuno-Womens-Wav ... izuno+pink

The teen mom bit is ridiculous. She was 19, an age which, while young, isn't really what we think of as a teenager. She was an adult.

I agree about the pink shoes. Although clothing is not important, especially when compared to the actions she actually did, i don't think that we should jump on every small mention of a famous woman's clothing and call it sexist.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tofulish wrote:
Ladies, check your DOB before wearing skimpy clothing, because no matter how good you look, you are unfit to wear anything sexy once you're over 34 (aka your sell by date) http://jezebel.com/your-wizened-35-year ... -686875688

Quote:
Women should ditch crop tops by the age of 34 (even if they have a stomach like Gwen Stefani) and bikinis at 40
Miniskirts and belly button piercings should be avoided after mid-thirties
Leggings should hit the bin by 37 and stilettos are a no-go at 41

I am 41 and haven't ever worn any of those things (except stilettos which are now a no-go after knee surgery), but now I feel like I might have to start....

I live in leggings. I guess my 49 year old self must now never leave the house again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

annabazoo wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
Vantine wrote:

I agree about the pink shoes. Although clothing is not important, especially when compared to the actions she actually did, i don't think that we should jump on every small mention of a famous woman's clothing and call it sexist.

Perry started the whole "teen mom" thing by calling her out at some convention. Typical of him. He has some "big announcement" tomorrow.

The pink shoe thing is her own. She was showing them off to media before the filibuster. I thought it was cute.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think the point about the shoes is that it was a huge focus and can be seen as part of the normal trend of media focusing more on what female politicians wear than they ever do for male politicians. In the end, they are just shoes and have nothing to do with how and why she did what she did.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I would normally agree with you except that Wendy Davis herself made her pink shoes into a symbol of sorts for her cause. I saw a video before the filabuster where she was holding her foot out and saying how her pink shoes were all set to keep her on her feet as long as it took. My paraphrase.

After that, I think it would be hard to write about her filibuster without a little nod to her shoes.

But of course female politicians get endless crepe about their clothes, hair, makeup, etc. I'm not disputing that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:45 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Well, they actually do. She wore running shoes because she had to stand on her feet for 13 hours at a time, so it wasn't like it was just a quirky fashion choice.

Maybe a male politician would have received less attention for wearing similar footwear for a similar task, but maybe not. I'm sure neon yellow running shoes worn by a male politician for a highly publicized and heroic filibuster would get press as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

She was wearing the uniform of a Chicago secretary in mid-commute rather than the head to toe professional garb you'd expect on a legislator. Which was necessary under the circumstances, but I think it's OK to comment on it.

It also for once focuses on something functional, which is a big step up from talking about how much cleavage a politician is showing or the heel height of her boots. It's, look, she wore comfortable shoes because she's got a tough job...and really the amazing thing is the fact that wearing comfortable shoes is so out of the ordinary.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:36 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Well, I think the people I know have hit a new low. I am no longer fully a woman because my tubes are tied. No matter the health reasons, or the kids I have (not that that makes me a woman... but in the context of their view of my value as a woman, I would think that has some weight). And because I have my tubes tied I should not be fighting for reproductive autonomy.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:42 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Actually, by that logic, neither should all the crassholes like Rick Perry, so limiting who can fight/vote by who has the working equipment might not be a bad thing. (of course, I'm not serious--but do these people think this stuff through?!)

I was upstairs this morning and the TV was on, and I got so sick of commercials for erectile disfunction and prostate problems. There are so many of them! Yet, advertisers still can't actually properly discuss tampons, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

lavawitch wrote:
I was upstairs this morning and the TV was on, and I got so sick of commercials for erectile disfunction and prostate problems. There are so many of them! Yet, advertisers still can't actually properly discuss tampons, etc.

Ahahaha yes! And all of the commercials for tampons are about how women can keep their period a secret but erectile dysfunction ones are all "look at my rock hard dick!" Maybe they're not all like that (I don't watch TV that much so I don't see the ads anymore) but I remember those Smiling Bob ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:54 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Or actually discuss the differences in heart attack symptoms between men and women.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

kfad wrote:
Or actually discuss the differences in heart attack symptoms between men and women.

Woah! I had no idea. Just shared on fb. I know my friends and relatives don't know this either!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:31 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I recently met a woman who has teenage children. We were talking about brain development, and how the brain isn't fully developed until the early twenties, which partly accounts for things teenagers do that seem irrational or odd. Out of NOWHERE, she blurts out that her ex-husband left her for a fifteen-year-old girl--he was in his mid-thirties--but that the girl knew exactly what she was doing and purposefully seduced him. Her brain, she continued, was fully developed, and she's a still a slut. A friend of mine pointed out that it might be easier to demonize the fifteen-year-old victim rather than accept that the father of her children is a sexual predator, and on some level I understand that (sort of, I guess, maybe?) but I found it really upsetting. I told the woman that I couldn't agree with her, changed the subject, and made a quick exit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:44 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I think you handled it well SassyOH. It is always easier to blame the person that we aren't connected to. Doesn't make it right by any means.

Today, Texas politicians are not only testing my feminism but my patience. Going against the wishes of the majority to push an agenda of terror (YES) on the poor and already marginalized. 5 clinics to do abortions in a state that big. Who suffers? Not the rich dudes making those decisions that is for sure. I am furious.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 165  Next