| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 170  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:38 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Quote:
To be feminist is to be a self-identified woman fighting for female equality. To be a feminist requires a direct experience of gender oppression, because it is this unique experience as a member of the targeted group that will inform activism. Men who become disgruntled with this definition and demand inclusion only underscore the ubiquitousness of male privilege

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. NO.

Could you argue that she could not be an animal rights activist then as she's not a cow?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:42 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

ndpittman wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Quote:
To be feminist is to be a self-identified woman fighting for female equality. To be a feminist requires a direct experience of gender oppression, because it is this unique experience as a member of the targeted group that will inform activism. Men who become disgruntled with this definition and demand inclusion only underscore the ubiquitousness of male privilege

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. NO.

Could you argue that she could not be an animal rights activist then as she's not a cow?
EXACTLY.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:05 am 
Discovered unobtainium

The Anonymous hacker who released information was raided by an FBI team and could be sentenced to 10 years. Because, you know, that was a far worse "crime" than drugging, gang raping, and filming the brutalization of a teenage girl. (not that age matters so much except that I think its so much the worse when we fail to protect our children, because if not them, then who?)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -injustice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:36 am 
Flounceiad 2011

lavawitch wrote:
The Anonymous hacker who released information was raided by an FBI team and could be sentenced to 10 years. Because, you know, that was a far worse "crime" than drugging, gang raping, and filming the brutalization of a teenage girl. (not that age matters so much except that I think its so much the worse when we fail to protect our children, because if not them, then who?)

UGH. Then again, according to the Steubenville "value system," this horrible criminal may have ruined the upcoming high school football season. Hanging is too good for him, am I right?!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:38 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Desdemona wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

UGH. Then again, according to the Steubenville "value system," this horrible criminal may have ruined the upcoming high school football season. Hanging is too good for him, am I right?!

This doesn't just challenge my feminism; it challenges my everything-ism.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:00 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I started reading this article because I thought it was going to be a funny write-up on ironically going to 90s music concerts, and she ended up writing about how since she was alone all these dudes hit on her in extremely sexist ways. I think she says it best when she says:

Quote:
But I wasn't actually alone, because you are never alone when you're with Sugar Ray, and anyway I couldn't actually be alone because of all my new sexist pals.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:17 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

allularpunk wrote:
I started reading this article because I thought it was going to be a funny write-up on ironically going to 90s music concerts, and she ended up writing about how since she was alone all these dudes hit on her in extremely sexist ways. I think she says it best when she says:

Quote:
But I wasn't actually alone, because you are never alone when you're with Sugar Ray, and anyway I couldn't actually be alone because of all my new sexist pals.

Good lordy, the guys described in that article are just GROSS.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:04 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Imogen wrote:
The guy working at the hostel I'm staying at here in Brazil was a challenge for me today. I'm here alone just now having a rest day, and was sitting out on the patio in a bikini top when he came across to talk. At first I was happy to practice some Portuguese as most of the other guests here are non-Brazilians, but he quickly turned the conversation around to my sexual preferences/orientation and whether I ever had or would consider sleeping with a man (I am female). The whole situation has left me feeling pretty uncomfortable and a little insecure, and a small part of me wonders if it was my own fault for not wearing a shirt or something even though it is very hot here and I know full well that no matter what I wear, that's not an invitation to any kind of sexual questioning!

urgh, i wish i knew what to do in that situation. is there a manager you can speak to who might be able to tell the guy to cut it out? i hope at least he's done bothering you.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:29 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

The American Institute of Physics, which effectively just used a binomial distribution to dress up the claim that gender bias isn't real because probability!

http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/re ... sdepts.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

allularpunk wrote:

Quote:

I read that article too. That really sucks about the creepy pick up lines. There was a time i couldn't go anywhere without idiots saying something along those lines to me. Yuck. Glad that phase of my life is over.

Unrelated, that article was pretty terrible. She seems like a person I would not want to know. I don't really get attending concerts ironically or shitting all over everything and everybody for "humor".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:36 am 
Discovered unobtainium

A bf and I went to see Michael Bolton mostly for that reason--the tickets were cheap, everybody was making fun of MB and he had a lot of hit songs at the time, and we just kind of thought "hey, why not" at the last minute for something to do (he also wrote music reviews so it was sort of relevant, but he really hated MB so I goaded him into going). It was a great concert! Celine Dion opened (before she was huge). You don't have to actually love the music to have a good time at a show. But, boy, some of those fans were scary loony tunes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:31 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

couroupita wrote:

Unrelated, that article was pretty terrible. She seems like a person I would not want to know. I don't really get attending concerts ironically or shitting all over everything and everybody for "humor".

yeah I just read that and that was what I didn't like about that article either. It took me a long time to even understand that she was trying to say that she was there ironically, but of course if you're being ironic I guess you can't just come right out and say it.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:20 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

At the same hostel today, I asked to borrow a lighter from someone to light the hob and got told that I need a man to do it for me, so he insisted on standing up, walking over and.lighting it himself. Can anyone please explain exactly what it is about my delicate lady parts which means I couldn't possibly do such a thing by myself?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:28 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Imogen wrote:
At the same hostel today, I asked to borrow a lighter from someone to light the hob and got told that I need a man to do it for me, so he insisted on standing up, walking over and.lighting it himself. Can anyone please explain exactly what it is about my delicate lady parts which means I couldn't possibly do such a thing by myself?

Like if you attempt to light it one of your boobs will spontaneously combust? Sorry. When I read what you wrote that is exactly what i pictured.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:35 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

kfad wrote:
Imogen wrote:

Like if you attempt to light it one of your boobs will spontaneously combust? Sorry. When I read what you wrote that is exactly what i pictured.
No, no! Her dirty Women Energy will cause the entire place to go up in a conflagration of feminine filth and fecundity. Obviously.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:26 pm 
Nooch of Earl

lavawitch wrote:
A bf and I went to see Michael Bolton mostly for that reason--the tickets were cheap, everybody was making fun of MB and he had a lot of hit songs at the time, and we just kind of thought "hey, why not" at the last minute for something to do (he also wrote music reviews so it was sort of relevant, but he really hated MB so I goaded him into going). It was a great concert! Celine Dion opened (before she was huge). You don't have to actually love the music to have a good time at a show. But, boy, some of those fans were scary loony tunes.

I've never been to any concerts ironically, but I always thought that it was great that my dad bought a Milli Vanilli album right after they were "outed" because it got put on clearance and he thought it would be a collector's item.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:41 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Put this in the grad students thread elsewhere, but it annoys me and is relevant here too:

Gripey Rant: At a fancy, super l33t conference in my field, which is pretty much 50-50 men-women (though obvious gender splits in the subdisciplines, e.g. computational modeling vs. developmental stuff). ONCE AGAIN, despite that, all the prize winners (15? 20?) are men. Blah blah blah I know they're voted by the community, and the community has its own standards, when when year after year there are no women winning these prizes .... it's hard not to be suspicious/annoyed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:51 am 
Bathes in Braggs

That sucks lutin :-(

Also on an academic note, look at this picture that is circulated by my faculty:

It was taken at the X-mas prom last year. It shows our male dean surrounded by female students. It was circulated after the X-mas party, and I thought it was weird then, but they are using it again now to invite people to the dean's farewell party. The text says 'that's why, archaeology in Leiden'. I am inclined to read it as, 'girls, come to study in Leiden so you can kiss our dean's asparagus'. Am I the only one who thinks this is highly inappropriate?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:57 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Cornelie, I read it as "Guys, this is why you should study in Leiden" because you'll be surrounded by babes, maybe? That is weird and annoying, and yeah definitely inappropriate.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:00 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Quarantined wrote:
Cornelie, I read it as "Guys, this is why you should study in Leiden" because you'll be surrounded by babes, maybe? That is weird and annoying, and yeah definitely inappropriate.

Yeah, that too! We are a bit short on male students, but this is not the way to solve that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:17 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

This atrocious "band" of frat drop-out bros is challenging my feminism and my humanity in general:

http://gawker.com/most-racist-song-ever ... -987408740

Here are some of the lyrics to "Asian Girlz" (extremely, extremely offensive):

Spoiler: show
I love your sticky rice
Butt forking all night
Korean barbecue
bisque I love you
I love your creamy yellow thighs
Ooh you're slanted eyes
It's the Year of the Dragon
Ninja kitten I'm stabbin'

Asian girl, You're's my Asian girl
You're my Asian girl, She's my Asian girl
You're my Asian girl, She's my Asian girl
Yes, my Asian girl, You're my Asian girl

I am working on my retort single, "White Broz", with lyrics like

Saltines and Sprite / Dave Matthews all night
Backwards baseball cap / you say "N***a" when you rap
Droppin' date rape drugs / assaulting women in Uggs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:35 pm 
Semen Strong

I love Childish Gambino, but a lot of his lyrics about Asian girls are pretty similar.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:05 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

This idiot that I went to college with:

Quote:
While on my jog in Ritter park today two girls jogged past me. One girl had on what can only be described as boy short underwear with her asparagus cheeks hanging out! I looked at my daughter said loud enough for the girl to hear " Josie, if you EVER leave my house or yours with your butt cheeks hanging out like that, your momma will beat you so hard that dressing Amish will sound good to you!" I really wish people would explain to that girl that showing all your bits is not sexy and that the only man you're going to attract is a big jerk! No decent man wants a woman that every man has seen every part of! Having a little modesty is by far more attractive!

I said that the girl is free to wear whatever she wants, and she replied 'I didn't say she wasn't!' To which I said, 'Yeah, you basically said it was not ok for her to be dressed the way she was dressed. Perhaps she is not looking to attract a man while she is running. Perhaps it's hot outside and she wanted to wear booty shorts. What does it matter to you?' forking women hating on other women. Gimme a break.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:37 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Annnnnd just got jumped all over by her other close-minded friends. What a surprise! One even said that if I didn't like it, I didn't have to comment on it. Um, public forum? I can comment in disagreement if I so choose? Just like the poster has the right to say something totally stupid in the first place?

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:54 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

A male friend (and twice-divorced father of four children) posted this link on FB, with the comment: "BS: the men were either lying or merely trying to find a face-saving way to counter their partner's lack of libido."

Because obviously no man could possibly feel exhausted, stressed, overwhelmed, or distracted after a little thing like introducing a new person into their family/household/universe. No sirree bob - there's no time that's not peen time for the menz, amirite?! I am practically sitting on my hands to avoid responding in the way I'd like to.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/201 ... birth.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 170  Next