| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 181  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:59 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

allularpunk wrote:
One even said that if I didn't like it, I didn't have to comment on it.

Just like the OP didn't have to comment on the booty shorts she didn't like... physician, heal thyself!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The Namaqua Rain Frog thread is actually challenging me a bit, because it's bothering me that everyone is referring to the cute pictures of frogs as 'he' when I don't think we know what sex the frogs in the pictures are, that male is still the default option, but that I feel like a big killjoy for mentioning it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:57 pm 
Semen Strong

I feel like I have to do that with every children's book and song. Everything is automatically he - and so I just mix them up and make the main characters female (easy to do when they are animals).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

dropscone wrote:
The Namaqua Rain Frog thread is actually challenging me a bit, because it's bothering me that everyone is referring to the cute pictures of frogs as 'he' when I don't think we know what sex the frogs in the pictures are, that male is still the default option, but that I feel like a big killjoy for mentioning it.

That's just the English language though--we don't have a neuter pronoun, so the alternative would be to call the frog "it," or have to consciously always think about assigning gender terms when we really just need/want a neuter term.

I think it would be helpful in stamping out some of that default sexism if we had a word to use.

At our last GED meeting, they gave us a list of how math problems on the test have evolved over the decades. The questions from the 60s etc were pretty straight forward, solid math problems, but some of the modernizations where sort of hilarious. The ones from the 80s were three times as long because they all had "a worker produces 78 widgets per hour. How many can he/she produce in 3.2 hrs if he/she takes a 30 minute lunch break."

Then the modern question is all touchy feely and no math: describe how the problem would be solved (without actually doing the pesky math!).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:04 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

You can use "they" or "them" as a third-person singular pronoun although it can feel a little strange at first (it's quite common in trans*/genderqueer discourse).

In many ways, I think we're quite lucky to have any gender-neutral third-person pronouns at all in English! I'm learning Portuguese just now and it's similar to many other romance languages in that a group of people are always referred to as "hims" [eles] unless the group is 100% female, in which case it is "hers" [elas]. This means that even if you have a group of 1000 women and just one man, they are described collectively as "eles".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I also right s/he when I don't know the sex of an animal. For people I use they or them

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:38 am 
Level 7 Vegan

That's funny - I gender animals according to their grammatical gender in French. So frogs (and giraffes and whales and ostriches) are always a she for me unless I know that specific animal is male.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:19 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

aelle wrote:
That's funny - I gender animals according to their grammatical gender in French. So frogs (and giraffes and whales and ostriches) are always a she for me unless I know that specific animal is male.

Just one of the many reasons why gendered languages are cool. (Fun fact/Aside: THat means that both in French AND in English and in whatever other non-gendered languages you might speak, you're way more likely of talking about those animals with "female adjectives" than "male adjectives". Even inanimate objects get that treatment! Weird/Cool. /aside)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:40 am 
Level 7 Vegan

That's completely true - when I was trying to remember which animals are female in French, the ones that came up were strongly associated with an idea of feminity in my head - like giraffes are thin and gracile. Then beyond the first mental flash I thought - wait a minute, that's a completely artificial idea, giraffes use their "gracile" necks as giant flails to fight other giraffes!
I am working on my German these days, which is a gendered language but with no correlation with French genders and it is messing with my head.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

ahah yes, if you have to draw animals (or even object but imagining they are living things), you would represent the chick (la poule) or the chair or the bottle as ladies :D
Also, I tend to use "she" in english because in my mental images they are females.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:55 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The men in this city in Brazil are challenging my feminism just now. I love travelling alone as a woman, but I've never had so much street harassment before as I am here, and right now I don't feel safe even just walking around in the daytime. I've been told that it's very unusual for South American women to go out alone, but I've seen other women out alone in the day who aren't getting bothered. I'm pretty sure it's because up here in the north I stand out a lot more as being a gringa as skin colour in general is a lot darker here than in the south.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:41 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Emilie wrote:
ahah yes, if you have to draw animals (or even object but imagining they are living things), you would represent the chick (la poule) or the chair or the bottle as ladies :D
Also, I tend to use "she" in english because in my mental images they are females.

They did a study once with french and german speakers and asked them to describe objects that are feminine in one language and masculine in the other. The participants always used gendered descriptors to describe the object. So if "bridge" was feminine in your language, it was graceful, elegant, beautiful, slim, etc. If "bridge" were masculine it was strong, resistant to damage, whatever.

I hate gendered languages. My other language has very few words that aren't gendered, much worse even than romance languages.

In English I always hear people refer to animals as "he," even when they are talking about dairy cows and laying hens!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:01 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Ariann wrote:
In English I always hear people refer to animals as "he," even when they are talking about dairy cows and laying hens!
Right? It always makes me laugh when someone refers to a cow as "he." On the other hand, I've encountered the phenomenon where people automatically gender dogs masculine and cats feminine. (As I recall, the thorny vicissitudes of feline gender/identity politics were once the subject of an epic thread right here on the ol' PPK!)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

When I was a kid I thought dogs and cats had babies together and all the dogs were boys and all the cats were girls.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I noticed when people talk about Grumpy Cat they call her a "he"! I guess being grumpy isn't lady like?

Currently challenging my feminism, Moffat being a douche about having the Dr being anyone but a white dude: "Current show runner Steven Moffat has wrestled with the question (and Matt Smith has out and out said that a female Doctor would be fine) but he made a very telling remark while introducing the next Doctor. When taking into consideration the possibility of a female Doctor, Moffat said, “That would be like casting the role of the Queen with a man.” http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/08/doctor ... er-capaldi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:37 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

blondiefk wrote:
When I was a kid I thought dogs and cats had babies together and all the dogs were boys and all the cats were girls.
HA! I love kid you! (And grown-up you, but you take my point.)
Shy Mox wrote:
I noticed when people talk about Grumpy Cat they call her a "he"! I guess being grumpy isn't lady like?

Currently challenging my feminism, Moffat being a douche about having the Dr being anyone but a white dude: "Current show runner Steven Moffat has wrestled with the question (and Matt Smith has out and out said that a female Doctor would be fine) but he made a very telling remark while introducing the next Doctor. When taking into consideration the possibility of a female Doctor, Moffat said, “That would be like casting the role of the Queen with a man.” http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/08/doctor ... er-capaldi
Actually, the way I heard this story is that Moffat was misquoted/taken out of context. He responded to Helen Mirren wanting the Doctor to be a woman by saying, "I would like to go on record and say that the queen should be played by a man." As you'll recall, Helen Mirren has played both Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Elizabeth II; without the context it just looks like a sexist line, but it was meant as a joke.

For then record, I was actually pulling for Tilda Swinton; she would have rocked it. She's already played a gender-fluid character ("Orlando"), and wouldn't it be cool to have a post/non-gender Doctor? As it is, I'm hoping Capaldi plays the doctor as an impossibly profane, foul-mouthed Scotsman in the vein of his character from "In the Loop."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

Moffat has been accused of sexism before so this definitely wouldn't be a first.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:29 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Moffat has been accused of sexism before so this definitely wouldn't be a first.
I don't know anything about previous stuff so I can't comment, but this one appeared to have been taken out of context. (And anyway, Tom Baker will always be the "real" Doctor for me, just because that's the one I first watched as a little kid!)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Desdemona wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
I don't know anything about previous stuff so I can't comment, but this one appeared to have been taken out of context. (And anyway, Tom Baker will always be the "real" Doctor for me, just because that's the one I first watched as a little kid!)

<3 Tom Baker and Sylvester McCoy forever! Also, Ace is just about the best companion...ever!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:27 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Desdemona wrote:
blondiefk wrote:
HA! I love kid you! (And grown-up you, but you take my point.)
Shy Mox wrote:

Actually, the way I heard this story is that Moffat was misquoted/taken out of context. He responded to Helen Mirren wanting the Doctor to be a woman by saying, "I would like to go on record and say that the queen should be played by a man." As you'll recall, Helen Mirren has played both Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Elizabeth II; without the context it just looks like a sexist line, but it was meant as a joke.

But even if it's a joke it reads as a sexist joke. Saying the Queen, who is both presently and by definition a woman, should be played by a man is the same as saying "the Doctor is by definition a man so suggesting a woman play him is preposterous!"

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:01 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I guess Doctor Who ranks fairly low on my list of stuff to get upset about, but it's inevitable that there will be a female and/or non-Caucasian Doctor. In the meantime, Capaldi will make an interesting change, even if he doesn't re-channel Malcolm Tucker (an unlikely contingency, but a hilarious image). And I think he could be better than Matt Smith or David Tennant, neither of whom ever really "worked" for me.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/peter-capaldi-doctor-who-virals-2126652

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:31 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Vantine wrote:
... Also, Ace is just about the best companion...ever!

Off topic. but my boyfriend was Ace's "minder" at a convention this past weekend!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:18 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

All these ladies in my office collectively talking about how "wretched" and "evil" little girls are. And they keep sprinkling in stories of little girls that they know that are great! And yet, those are the exceptional little girls - all other little girls are "drama queens"

And most of them are mothers of boys, but there's at least one woman in there that has two girls and she's being totally quiet. I wonder when they're going to realize that she's offended.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:22 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

My son just came in and said that working with all women is challenging his feminism. He is tired of hearing the girls talk about how fat they are when they aren't.

ETA: He was reminded that it shouldn't matter what a person weighs and he agreed. So... I guess that is good.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

j-dub wrote:
But even if it's a joke it reads as a sexist joke. Saying the Queen, who is both presently and by definition a woman, should be played by a man is the same as saying "the Doctor is by definition a man so suggesting a woman play him is preposterous!"

Yeah, this is the guy who says men get no respect anymore, asexuality is boring and the only way Sherlock would respect Irene is if he had the hots for her, not because she beat him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 181  Next