| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4067 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 163  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:37 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I object to the idea that anyone should give a flying f*ck about Mrs Hall or her stupid, retrograde opinions, much less need to earn a "second chance" to be friends with her unfortunate, semi-clothed sons.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:49 am 
WELFARIST!

^Haha! Seriously! I wouldn't care about appeasing such douchery. Let douchgones be douchgones.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:53 am 
Flounceiad 2011

seitanicverses wrote:
^Haha! Seriously! I wouldn't care about appeasing such douchery. Let douchgones be douchgones.
Seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:47 am 
Semen Strong

I liked the idea that we all deserve second chances in general. I think we all make mistakes as human beings that we don't want to have define us. I hate the idea that if you make a mistake, you get thrown away and dismissed. Often it seems like young men get a lot of chances to make mistakes and move on from them ("boys will be boys") but some parts of our culture send the message that once you have made any mistake at all, especially as a girl, you are of no value any longer.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
I liked the idea that we all deserve second chances in general. I think we all make mistakes as human beings that we don't want to have define us. I hate the idea that if you make a mistake, you get thrown away and dismissed. Often it seems like young men get a lot of chances to make mistakes and move on from them ("boys will be boys") but some parts of our culture send the message that once you have made any mistake at all, especially as a girl, you are of no value any longer.

I agree with this. Both for Mrs. Hall, who I hope learns from her serious mistakes in online self-representation and figures out how to raise her sons better than she seems to be doing now and for all teenagers out there, who are experimenting with the way they present themselves to the world and need others to view them gently and openly and give them diverse opportunities to grow into healthy adults. I am sure some of the girls Mrs. Hall disapproves of are also figuring out what it means to present oneself as a strong and self-assured woman (and may feel particularly empowered by posting images of themselves they know are alluring, because our culture says sexy women are the only worthwhile women), and I hope they get to keep trying that out and have some actually supportive adults in their lives help them explore all the qualities that make them great.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

seitanicverses wrote:
Years ago (in around 1984 when I worked in an office supply store) a man actually refused to let me help him and told me because I was a female and "shouldn't be working".

this happened to me at my job at a big box hardware store... A FEW MONTHS AGO. there are still people like that out there. in my case he asked if i could go get him a man to help him. i said no and he got upset and harried off to home depot. that was the final straw that made me quit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:21 pm 
Chard Martyr

A coworker just found out the sex of the baby he and his wife are having. When I asked, he said "a girl. Because god hates me." And he was dead serious.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:26 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

vijita wrote:
A coworker just found out the sex of the baby he and his wife are having. When I asked, he said "a girl. Because god hates me." And he was dead serious.
Holy smokes. Lucky girl.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

Ariann wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

I agree with this. Both for Mrs. Hall, who I hope learns from her serious mistakes in online self-representation and figures out how to raise her sons better than she seems to be doing now and for all teenagers out there, who are experimenting with the way they present themselves to the world and need others to view them gently and openly and give them diverse opportunities to grow into healthy adults. I am sure some of the girls Mrs. Hall disapproves of are also figuring out what it means to present oneself as a strong and self-assured woman (and may feel particularly empowered by posting images of themselves they know are alluring, because our culture says sexy women are the only worthwhile women), and I hope they get to keep trying that out and have some actually supportive adults in their lives help them explore all the qualities that make them great.

Aww...you guys are right. I do agree about second chances and hope that Mrs. Hall learns something from airing her opinions online as she has done. I feel like stuff like this (Mrs. Hall's case) definitely stems more from ignorance than maliciousness.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:18 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

vijita wrote:

This makes me sad :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Desdemona wrote:
I object to the idea that anyone should give a flying f*ck about Mrs Hall or her stupid, retrograde opinions, much less need to earn a "second chance" to be friends with her unfortunate, semi-clothed sons.

I agree with Desdemona. I think that her position comes from a place of self-righteousness. The most likely outcome is that she will see herself as under siege from the very forces she is trying to protect her son from. She might learn but I would not place money on it.

My real hope is that her sons find another influence so they can learn to have healthy relationships as adults.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jean wrote:
vijita wrote:

This makes me sad :(

It's very sad.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:37 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

if god didn't hate you before, she probably does now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:37 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

http://www.rageagainsttheminivan.com/2013/09/on-respect-responsibility-and-mrs-halls.html

A well written response to Mrs. Hall and her myopic world view.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:01 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

My favorite response to Mrs. Hall so far, because it's written by a teenage girl.*

http://www.xojane.com/issues/tuesday-cain-open-letter-to-the-mom-who-posted-rules-for-teenage-girls-on-facebook

*Who seems to be one of the most awesome teenage girls ever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:58 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

ndpittman wrote:
My favorite response to Mrs. Hall so far, because it's written by a teenage girl.*

http://www.xojane.com/issues/tuesday-cain-open-letter-to-the-mom-who-posted-rules-for-teenage-girls-on-facebook

*Who seems to be one of the most awesome teenage girls ever.

That is awesome~!

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:16 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

This UN report, reported on by the BBC, which describes incidences of rape in several Asian countries:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24021573

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:30 am 
Seagull of the PPK

did anyone hear this freakonomics piece about baby girls and divorce? http://freakonomics.com/2013/08/01/do-b ... o-podcast/
i kept saying "but but". but nope, it's not italy, it's not global, it's not 1950s, it's US. recent.
It makes me so upset that in this day and age, despite all the BS lip service that we pay to fairness and equality and certain unnamed countries making themselves feel all superior because girls go to school unlike OTHER less developed places, etc etc etc, that this shiitake is still so ingrained here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:31 am 
Chip Strong

Thanks for sharing that podcast! It's fascinating and depressing all at once.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:08 pm 
Semen Strong

Four men convicted of the Dehli rape case. We will hear tomorrow if they get the death penalty.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/11/world ... d=fb-share

We have posted about it upthread, but here are the basic facts.
Quote:
The woman was returning home from a movie with a male friend and boarded a private bus with a group of men, mostly working-class migrants who the police said had been drinking. While the bus circled Delhi, the men attacked the pair, knocked the woman’s friend unconscious and took the woman to the back of the bus and raped her, sometimes using a metal rod. The two were dumped off on the roadside, naked and bleeding.

The woman died two weeks later of her injuries.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:27 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

This fashion collection is challenging my feminism: http://jezebel.com/thom-browne-for-the- ... 1284202847

And is also a good example of one of the myriad of reasons I left the fashion industry. It's reminiscient of the Galliano S/S 2000 collection based on the homeless of Paris (which in turn inspired 'Derelicte' from Zoolander). Call me a buzzkill, but I don't think 'mental illness' is a crackerjack of a concept for a fashion collection, and I don't find the idea of a straightjacket fashionable or sexy. Much like super high heels, it just means I'm constricted and less able to handle myself in a potentially dangerous situation. Oh right, I forgot, that's the very definition of sexy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:43 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
This fashion collection is challenging my feminism: http://jezebel.com/thom-browne-for-the- ... 1284202847

And is also a good example of one of the myriad of reasons I left the fashion industry. It's reminiscient of the Galliano S/S 2000 collection based on the homeless of Paris (which in turn inspired 'Derelicte' from Zoolander). Call me a buzzkill, but I don't think 'mental illness' is a crackerjack of a concept for a fashion collection, and I don't find the idea of a straightjacket fashionable or sexy. Much like super high heels, it just means I'm constricted and less able to handle myself in a potentially dangerous situation. Oh right, I forgot, that's the very definition of sexy.
Yikes. That is offensive and insensitively screwed up in too many ways for my tired brain to even begin parsing right now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:32 am 
Saggy Butt

Stumbling upon a FB page called "How To Be A Woman", which of course involves nothing but cooking, cleaning and being submissive to your husband, because there are only two roles in a relationship and the man should always be the dominant masculine role and the woman the submissive feminine. But according to their description, they're not misogynistic or anything, and they wouldn't want you to mistaken them for being sexist or anything, because that would just be crazy! FFS.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:49 am 
Semen Strong

I hate how fast everyone treats you like you're hysterical. And I hate the words "Calm down."

I took Leela to the E.R., and the woman at the admitting desk couldn't get her name right. We rushed to the hospital because she was lethargic, glassy-eyed, vomiting and feverish, and we can't seem to get past the admitting desk. The admin threw away four completed bracelets and charts because she couldn't spell my daughter's last name. So I am very clearly saying "M as in Mouse, C as in Cat" and holding my daughter who is crying and flopping over because she is so sick, and security comes over and tells me to calm down. Then an R.N. tells me that if I don't calm down I am going to have a panic attack and there are all these people staring at me talking about how I need to calm down, including my partner, and I haven't even raised my voice or yelled or anything. I am just speaking really clearly and slowly, albeit a bit louder since I just want her to be able to catch how to spell the name.

Finally, she lets me write the name out on a piece of paper, enters it properly and they admit my daughter.

But then everyone treated me like I was a hysterical mother, and they were all very calming (with a slight edge of annoyance), which was a bit irritating, because all I am doing is trying to understand what you are doing, so I can try and calm my child who is completely upset and crying and try to help her understand what is going on. I don't need to be talked down to at every turn.

Is there any good response to someone telling you to calm down? Because I kept saying "I am calm, just trying to understand." And it didn't help at all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:08 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Being told to calm down is one of my biggest peeves. I feel like I am rarely not calm in any situation where someone has told me to calm down. Sorry that happened, it sounds very stressful.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4067 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 163  Next