| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 147  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:47 am 
Lime and a Coconut

candy wrote:
DrakeRedcrest wrote:
Women in burqas! SUCH A THREAT!

Suicide bomber maybe.

Someone is also posting how "amaaaaazing" it is to wear what they want. Anyone here want to wear a burqa? I doubt every woman who does wants to.

I know you're not supposed to feed the trolls, but yes, I have considered wearing a burqa. I am not Muslim, in fact I am an atheist raised in the WASP lifestyle, but the thought has crossed my mind; most notably when I am minding my own business walking down the street and a man comments on my legs. Or when a complete stranger tells me that seeing my body "made his day." Or if I'm wearing a hat, sunglasses, and my iPod and someone is still trying to get my attention to ask for my phone number. Or that time I was walking to the train to commute to work and some guy screamed at me "look at that kitten! I'd fork that EVERY DAY!"

So, yes. I wear what I want, and sometimes I feel like I would want to wear a burqa.

The issue here is with people telling other people (specifically, in this case, people with vaginas) what they can and cannot wear. It is not about burqas vs. bikinis. It is about individual choice and the freedom to make it, whether or not everyone agrees with it.

If you think suicide bombers are the main rationale behind banning burqas, then you should also get in line to ban trenchcoats, maxi dresses, and stovepipe hats. And backpacks, and tote bags. And strollers and rolling suitcases.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:55 am 
WRETCHED

Uhh what? I'll resist feeding the trolls although at one point I was pretty envious of bathing suits designed for muslim women.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:01 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

candy wrote:
DrakeRedcrest wrote:
Women in burqas! SUCH A THREAT!

Suicide bomber maybe.

Someone is also posting how "amaaaaazing" it is to wear what they want. Anyone here want to wear a burqa? I doubt every woman who does wants to.

I pmed to make sure she'd see it, but 'jokes' like this are not cool or acceptable.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:26 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I don't really watch any of the Real Housewives shows, so I'm unfamiliar with these people, but guh-yoinks!

http://jezebel.com/real-housewife-melis ... 1371722729

I guess this housewife and her husband co-wrote some new book on how to be a controlling abuser and a cowed kept woman. I just kept waiting for the atrocious excerpts in this article to end, but the more I scrolled, the more there were. Yuck, yuck, and yuck! I can't believe there are people like this in the 21st century, and I can't believe someone actually published this bile.

ETA: For those who (understandably) don't want to click the link, it's Melissa and Joe Gorga from the New Jersey cast. Her (their) book is called Love [Rape] Italian Style.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:14 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
ETA: For those who (understandably) don't want to click the link, it's Melissa and Joe Gorga from the New Jersey cast. Her (their) book is called Love [Rape] Italian Style.
I've never heard of these people, but holy smokes - how can this be real in 2013?

Lobotomized Stockholm Syndrom Victim wrote:
The way I see it, if a wife is a puttana, her husband will never feel the urge to go outside the marriage to actual whores, or strip clubs. He won't hit on women in bars, or drool over his friend's girlfriends or the secretary. He'll rush home to his wife, who makes sure he'll have a good time (the best time) in the comfort of his own home.

Because his "comfort" is all that matters. (That's why they make those nice, padded caskets.)

It puts me in mind of The Total[led] Woman, which was hopefully backward in the '70s.To wit:
Late 20th Century Brainwashed Slave wrote:
It's only when a woman surrenders her life to her husband, reveres and worships him and is willing to serve him, that she becomes really beautiful to him.

Quite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marabel_Morgan

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:48 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

linanil wrote:
Uhh what? I'll resist feeding the trolls although at one point I was pretty envious of bathing suits designed for muslim women.

And although I was only covered for the hour I visited the mosque, the burqua made me feel beautiful. There is something very liberating about not caring what pants you're wearing (too tight, too loose) or if your hair is a mess. Of course, I'm someone who wished I had a uniform for school. But I will never forget the feeling of elegance of that flowy black dress.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:02 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I don't really watch any of the Real Housewives shows, so I'm unfamiliar with these people, but guh-yoinks!

http://jezebel.com/real-housewife-melis ... 1371722729

Now that article really is quite something! I think my favourite part was this bit though:

Quote:
Girls don't poop. Me, never have. Never will. It just doesn't happen. Or, that's what Joe thinks! We've been married for nine years, and he has never once seen or smelled my business. How have I pulled this off? I don't do it when he's around or awake. In an emergency, I have my ways of pooping so he won't hear, smell, or see. It's a challenge.

I've always thought that in order to really challenge myself I'd have to try and run a marathon or bungee jump off a bridge or something. I guess it turns out that stealth pooping really is the new extreme ironing after all.

ETA: Format

Last edited by Imogen on Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:05 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Imogen wrote:

Quote:
Girls don't poop. Me, never have. Never will. It just doesn't happen. Or, that's what Joe thinks! We've been married for nine years, and he has never once seen or smelled my business. How have I pulled this off? I don't do it when he's around or awake. In an emergency, I have my ways of pooping so he won't hear, smell, or see. It's a challenge.

I've always thought that in order to really challenge myself I'd have to try and run a marathon or bungee jump off a bridge or something. I guess it turns out that stealth pooping really is the new extreme ironing after all.

Yes!!! I forgot to quote this part but it was MIND-BOGGLING to me! If my relationship with a man is conditional on him never knowing/acknowledging that I poop, then sayonara, dude. There's nothing better than infantile fart-based humor between loving partners. NOTHING.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:14 pm 
Naked Under Apron

The pooping part really disturbed me. This is advice she's giving people? Hold your poop?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:19 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

blondiefk wrote:
The pooping part really disturbed me. This is advice she's giving people? Hold your poop?

Of course not, that would be ridiculous! She just wants all us ladytypes to have emergency pooping plans and intimate knowledge of the best ways to poop as if it never happened. Totally reasonable, of course ...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:26 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Imogen wrote:
blondiefk wrote:

Of course not, that would be ridiculous! She just wants all us ladytypes to have emergency pooping plans and intimate knowledge of the best ways to poop as if it never happened. Totally reasonable, of course ...

And hope to God you never get diarrhea.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:34 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I just picture her sneaking off to a large closet in a house, not necessarily her own, pooping into an old bread bag, then sneaking it via her purse to a public trashcan outside a Starbucks.

Either that or scampering off into the woods and scratching leaves over her mess like a dog.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:36 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I highly recommend against anyone holding their poop. This could lead to losing ones poop, which is terrible indeed.

Anyone else find those excerpts almost triggering? I mean it all sounds very violent to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ndpittman wrote:
I highly recommend against anyone holding their poop. This could lead to losing ones poop, which is terrible indeed.

Anyone else find those excerpts almost triggering? I mean it all sounds very violent to me.

Laughing at the thought of stealth-poopery aside, I definitely found the excerpts triggering myself. There are a lot of examples of incredibly emotionally and physically abusive behaviour there.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:59 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

~Sz wrote:
linanil wrote:

And although I was only covered for the hour I visited the mosque, the burqua made me feel beautiful. There is something very liberating about not caring what pants you're wearing (too tight, too loose) or if your hair is a mess. Of course, I'm someone who wished I had a uniform for school. But I will never forget the feeling of elegance of that flowy black dress.
In a way, I sort of felt like that when I was pregnant. It wasn't that my body was covered up (although it often was, especially when I reached the "pop tent" days of month nine) so much as that I felt...less like an object of the sexualized gaze? I mean, on the one hand, a pregnant body becomes public property - which has its won issues - but in other it was like people didn't "see" me in the same way as they did before. I realize that I'm not articulating this very clearly (making dinner), so I'm not sure if that makes sense; I'll come back later and try to say what I mean in less fuzzy terms!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:30 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Imogen wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

Laughing at the thought of stealth-poopery aside, I definitely found the excerpts triggering myself. There are a lot of examples of incredibly emotionally and physically abusive behaviour there.

Absolutely- I was going to quote his very rapey excerpt about tearing your woman's clothes off and then thought better of it for those reasons.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:35 pm 

It actually just makes me feel really, really bad for that woman. I don't think I'll ever watch that show again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:46 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I just picture her sneaking off to a large closet in a house, not necessarily her own, pooping into an old bread bag, then sneaking it via her purse to a public trashcan outside a Starbucks.

Either that or scampering off into the woods and scratching leaves over her mess like a dog.
I am never going to stop laughing at this.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:02 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bun and I have been talking about the "27 pictures of rape survivors" meme which is (re)circling facebook.

I hate how it reinforces the fact that I am terrified (deeply, physically shaken and terrified) of the thought of sexual assault, of all of the bullshiitake ways sexual assault is used, and how I have to watch myself (and my surroundings, and all the men around me) like a hawk to "feel" "safe". I also hate that that kind of watchfulness is considered status quo (talk about a forking unnecessary necessity!) and that it's actually "worse" to not be so watchful. And that it underscores the fact that while I think I'm in control of my decisions and my body, surprise! No. No decisions for you™.

FURIOUS.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:36 am 
Seagull of the PPK

yes, i'm glad you mentioned that. it's been bothering me too.
i couldn't put my finger on it, and i don't mean, in saying this, to belittle the experience of people who survive sexual assault in any way. they have survived something terrible and i am glad they survived, and why not use empowering language to help them in healing.
but when it's on FB in the context of survivors i can't help but think that it's making sexual assault out to be something like cancer. something terrible and random that is just fate and in the lack of anything else to do about it, we wear little plastic bracelets and make donations so we don't feel so powerless. But sexual assault is NOT just fate. all of it (i would like to think) is avoidable, if as a society we would be horrified by it, prosecute it like it is a real damn crime, and not make it out to be something to brush under the rug, whisper about, and blame (mostly) women for.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:37 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I have mixed feelings on survivor/victim. Personally, I refer to myself as a survivor because while I was victimized I don't let victimhood define me. But I do agree, torque, that it can make it sound like rape is a freak accident or random act of god. That being said, in speaking of others, I would always choose the most empowering language because women who have been assaulted have already had their power taken away once, I'm not going to contribute to that again.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:50 am 
Seagull of the PPK

definitely, and in no way would i want to dictate anything about what people should call themselves, feel, etc, just to be extra clear.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:53 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

That's interesting, I feel the opposite. For me, it took such a long time to acknowledge that there had indeed been a crime, with a criminal and a victim, regardless of my feelings on the facts. And acknowledging it was such an important step to move on. Calling myself a rape victim, especially the legal implications of the word, is empowering to me.

lutin wrote:
I hate how it reinforces the fact that I am terrified (deeply, physically shaken and terrified) of the thought of sexual assault, of all of the bullshiitake ways sexual assault is used, and how I have to watch myself (and my surroundings, and all the men around me) like a hawk to "feel" "safe". I also hate that that kind of watchfulness is considered status quo (talk about a forking unnecessary necessity!) and that it's actually "worse" to not be so watchful.

I haven't seen the facebook thing, but I share your feelings here. Recently I saw this state, of constantly being on guard and careful, described as a tax on being a woman, and I thought that was a good way to put it. It's a tax you pay in lost peace of mind and in missed opportunities.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:25 am 

aelle wrote:
lutin wrote:
I hate how it reinforces the fact that I am terrified (deeply, physically shaken and terrified) of the thought of sexual assault, of all of the bullshiitake ways sexual assault is used, and how I have to watch myself (and my surroundings, and all the men around me) like a hawk to "feel" "safe". I also hate that that kind of watchfulness is considered status quo (talk about a forking unnecessary necessity!) and that it's actually "worse" to not be so watchful.

I haven't seen the facebook thing, but I share your feelings here. Recently I saw this state, of constantly being on guard and careful, described as a tax on being a woman, and I thought that was a good way to put it. It's a tax you pay in lost peace of mind and in missed opportunities.

Yes! I hate that I 'can't' go running too early in the morning now. I don't feel unsafe, but if something happened, I know the first thing said would be "why were you running in the dark?!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:54 am 
***LIES!!!***

aelle wrote:
That's interesting, I feel the opposite. For me, it took such a long time to acknowledge that there had indeed been a crime, with a criminal and a victim, regardless of my feelings on the facts. And acknowledging it was such an important step to move on. Calling myself a rape victim, especially the legal implications of the word, is empowering to me.

Yeah, I have yet to feel even a little bit empowered by the term "survivor," after being told about a hundred times that I'm supposed to be empowered by it. I do not appreciate having the term applied to me. I sorta/kinda get the logic of it, but I was a victim and now I am someone who was a victim in the past, that's all - the victim of a crime like anybody else might be a victim of a crime (are people "survivors" of muggings? or fraud? or employment discrimination?). Having been a victim does not mean that victimhood is my identity.

It's feels totally worse to be called a survivor - it means the fact of having lived through something is now supposed to be an essential component of my identity. But in my life, it is compartmentalized, it is a data point, not an identity - what someone else did to me is not who *I am* and whether you call me survivor or permanent victim, you are saying that they had the power to change my identity, which they absolutely did not. And I don't wear it as a badge of courage to have "survived" sexual crimes. There's nothing special about that, it says nothing about my innate qualities. I do not walk around thinking of myself as a victim, as someone who is likely to be re-victimized, etc. It has discrete moments of importance, in the same way that having my car burglarized in the past has discrete moments of importance - the decision to lock the car door or not, where I park on a street, etc.

Reply to topic  [ 3654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 147  Next